TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

this cut doesn't feel like there's anything intended as a "response" to the Theatrical released version.

really, what this cut does, is jettison pretty much everything Wheedon added (buh-bye idiotic Russian family fleeing plants that the heroes needed to stop fighting Steppenwolf to go rescue). . also buh-bye a lot of the "Marvel" style comedy that works for the Avengers, but not really when Synder is looking at the DC heroes as "Gods among Men").

which is not to say that there isn't any humor in the Snyder cut. . there actually is some (some works, some doesn't).

so yeah, I get that this is close to his intended version - it probably still needed a few trims, and I certainly get the idea that this would have been split into two films (such as Avengers ended up doing a year later).

it ABSOLUTELY fits into established lore (in particular key scenes from SvB can be viewed in a better light, and his take on Wonder Woman is spectacular.   Just the extension of the Terrorist scene. . . Snyder *really* gets Wonder Woman).

I'd recommend this cut. . the motivations added to several characters really give them an Arc (most visibly Cyborg, Steppenwolf (who has a reason for his actions now), Flash, and even Aquaman gets some additional backstory.    Some have been saying this version "validates" Affleck's Batman. . not sure I'd go that far, but he is actually very good in this version.

I much prefer how Superman is portrayed here too.

one of the biggest changes - and I'll say it's a minor spoiler - is that in Act 3 (which is almost completely different than what was seen in Theatrical cut, tho yes, "skyboarding Aquaman" is still in there) during the "big battle" ?

the big 3 really take a back seat.    Batman, Superman, and WonderWoman are there, and particpate. . but the main protagonists in this version are Cyborg & Flash, with Aquaman pretty front and center too.

does it take a lot of the teeth out of the middle of the film that Supes doesn't do all that much in the final battle?  a bit, but I mean. . he had to be resurrected, right?  :)

• Like 1

I believe Snyder still hasn't seen the theatrical cut of the film. This film is 100% Snyder's vision. I was amused how much Snyder footage was in the theatrical cut but with a different CGI skin. And thank God the mustache is gone. 

If anything feels reactionary, it would be the animated film Justice League Dark: Apokolips War--which supposedly followed the plot of Snyder's vision for Justice Leagues 2 and 3. That film tied up its own continuity while being eerily similar to leaked plot points of Snyder's plans. It was released during the height of the #releasethesnydercut campaign.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses.

While I still have no plans to see the Snyder cut anytime soon I now at least have a desire to go watch it at least. Like I said I'm done with the DCEU but I feel like I need to at least give the Snyder cut a chance now I know its at least close to the intended version. I mean I somewhat enjoyed the original Justice League even I could tell it was a Frankenstein mess. I will let you guys know when I come to it but don't expect it anytime soon. After that I can be truly done with the DCEU having seen 6 movies and 1 alternate take. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

May the best actors - film - director - writer(s) - Production Everything - win at this evening's Oscars broadcast.

OSCARS.jpg.cdc3020bf73ea6b60cc5286f270aa7b9.jpg

On second thought ..... howsabout everybody just have a great time, and be in the moment of The Event, no matter who 'wins'?

Thought I'd come in and post a couple reviews of movies I saw recently, ranked in descending order according to how much I enjoyed them:

Nobody: A great little action movie starring Bob Odenkirk that almost felt like a John Wick parody/knockoff. It was exactly what I wanted from the film--a great time in terms of action and laughs.

Godzilla Vs. Kong: Anything involving the film's various Kaiju was some great spectacle and decent cinema. Everything dealing with humans was absolute crap. I kind of expected that going in, but it was still disappointing. I also thought that the final battle was a tad underwhelming.

Mortal Kombat (2021): I haven't played any of the games, but I understand some of the mythology. The film doesn't even have the titular tournament in it! Some of the fights were exciting and the fatalities were exciting enough but they relied too heavily on obvious CGI blood. The script also tried to shoehorn in narrated lines from the games and have the characters say them inorganically--heavy handed fan service style. Also, why create a new character for the film as the point of view/audience surrogate character considering how deep the lineup is for the games?

• Like 1

agreed on all 3.

as I said for GvK - great special effects and spectacular fights, but a huge fail with the human characters.   at least 1 too many "Magic kid that can talk to Kaiju" and 3 too many "comedy relief" characters. . .but damn those fights were amazing.

the dialog and the over reliance on CGI were my biggest issues with MK - tho the few practical effects used, were quite good.   I've not played the game in over a decade, but I too thought it odd the tournament is not actually in the film.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey. I am so happy to know that my favorite Hollywood actress Angelina Jolie is coming back with a bang! Her new action movie " Those who wish me dead" released on 5th of May. But due to covid, will watch it online when HD print will be available. I love her all movies. Salt was the last movie I saw. She performs so well in action movies.

Last week, I went to go see Spiral: From the Book of Saw. I had a ticket for the 8:30 showing (read: the trailers start at 8:30). But 20 minutes later, there's still a still image of the Chevrolet logo onscreen and the audio is playing bad country music. So the manager walks in says they've been having playback issues and we are being upgraded to the 9:30 showing on the complex's premium screen with free admission tickets for the next time.

As for the movie itself, I wasn't all that impressed with the traps/gore. There was a twist you could see a mile coming. And as a Saw movie, it suffered from a lack of John Kramer's (Tobin Bell) philosophy and presence. Even 4-8 were centered around Kramer's philosophy after the character died--Hoffman can still go die in a brazen bull, though.

And with the free ticket I got, I saw Wrath of Man this week. I just couldn't buy into the plotting or structure of the film. This would be easier to excuse if the action was better but it was mediocre at best. And the twist felt unearned to the point of "we need a twist to get to the climax so here you go" kind of feeling.

• 1 month later...

I saw Black Widow yesterday.

I'm not going to lie it's one of those MCU movie's that exist, like I didn't love it or didn't hate it. It was just the next MCU movie. I do feel like this one was just made because fans wanted a Black Widow movie, there was nothing I felt brought something to the MCU or Natasha's story. Minor complaint too much humor in the movie felt like cartoon humor, again I don't think this movie was bad it just felt like I could skip it and miss nothing.

• 4 weeks later...

so. . ."Suicide Squad"  (spoiler free)

IT. IS. AMAZING.

incredibly violent, lots and lots of cussing - and earns it's hard R rating.

starts off a bit "iffy" but by the time the opening credits roll around, I was all in.

King Shark is astounding, as is Ratcatcher. And of course Robie as Harley - perfection.

Really? all the characters are on point.

if I had ONE complaint (and it's a minor one) it's that the use of Music really comes across as "Gunn trying to do "Guardians" here" but still. . .

no real spoiler to say it has a fairly high death count. . . and I guess because I read so many comics?  I was pretty damn accurate on whom I thought would survive (tho there is still a surprise or two).

Highly recommended.

• Like 1

I really, really wanna see that movie, but I'm gonna have to watch between my fingers. I have a certain threshold for handling blood and gore, and I know I already reached it just watching King Shark rip someone in half in the redband trailer.

But there's such an amazing cast. I have to watch it if only because Peter Capaldi. Also, I adore James Gunn's work, so there's that, too.

Kinda wish they'd do like they did with Deadpool 2 and give some of these R-rated comic movies a PG-13 version. I haven't seen the Deadpool 2 one, but it sounds awesome. The problem is that I haven't seen Deadpool 1 because of my blood/gore issue, so not sure how lost I'd be watching DP2.

^ being honest?  

Capaldi is one of the handful of "stunt casting" that just doesn't work and adds nothing to the film other than in your head going "hey, that's (insert stunt cast actor).

the main cast are all very good tho, and makes this among the best of the DCU films.

and I can state as a fact, this is the best acting John Cena has done in a film. . he's excellent in this, and I can see why he gets a prequel spin off TV show on HBO Max.

• Like 1

We saw Jungle Cruise this past week. It was fun. And 'busy'. And 3D!

And I like Dwayne Johnson doing comedy/action roles. They suit him.

And - the central female character had My Last Name! Houghton. I loved it!

11 hours ago, bert425 said:

and I can state as a fact, this is the best acting John Cena has done in a film. . he's excellent in this, and I can see why he gets a prequel spin off TV show on HBO Max.

Potentially mild spoiler, scroll slowly:

There's also a post credits scene to remind people this show is happening. Starting to think it's not actually fully a prequel and they just didn't want to state sequel to keep the deaths or survivors of this film a mystery.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Saw Shang-Chi yesterday:

I liked it a lot, it was great to see a Marvel project that wasn't heavily tied to Endgame. Yes you have your "mandatory" reference here and there the movie did that kind of naturally. What I will say is that two returning characters felt off in the beginning but one of them felt important later on. Also this movie brought back two characters I believed we never would see again. Something I think Phase 4 has done is bring back small characters and have them progressed in live, makes the universe more lived in.

A couple reviews of recent horror movies:

Till Death: picked it up from RedBox and it was a very fun cat and mouse thriller starring Megan Fox given something to do other than failing the sexy lamp test in Michael Bay films.

The Night House: I loved the tone and atmosphere of this film. I appreciated the ambiguity of the ending and how psychologically horrifying it is. Of note: I watched Till Death the night before The Night House and both films have an inciting incident surrounding the main protagonist's husband committing suicide by gunshot to the head.

Candyman (2021): Spoilers ahead. I love the original Candyman with Tony Todd and wanted to like this one more. I loved the craft of the film--especially Nia DaCosta's direction and the cinematography of John Guleserian. The plot felt directionless. The handling of some of the socio-political themes was too heavy-handed for my tastes. I was not a fan of the idea that Candyman could be any black man killed by racism--especially since the film's main character Anthony was a character in the original film (as a baby) with ties to Tony Todd's Daniel Robitaille/Candyman and how much that was referenced in this film. So when we finally got the Tony Todd cameo at the end I was just done with the film.

Malignant: Hoo boy. I seriously enjoyed this film but I understand why it's a very divisive film. My biggest criticism is that it felt like it ended a beat too early because it ended on the wrong tone. It ends like a happy ending, but it should be more somber. I wish the entity's abilities were explained a little better. But now I want to know how the entity was brought to life both the physical portrayal and the makeup effects.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really, really interested in "TITANE". . which looks incredible.

but I'm just not quite there yet, where I'll feel safe inside a theater :(

so I guess I'll  have to wait for Streaming or DVD release.

really does look amazing tho!

*Red band* trailer

I just read the summary on Wikipedia... definitely not my type of movie, lol. Wow.

In other news, been working my way through Owen Wilson's filmography mostly chronologically, so last night I finally saw Marley & Me for the first time ever. LOVED it. Cried my eyes out. But I loved it. :D