TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

Furious 6 was good in my opinion. What took away its great rating was a couple obvious fake scenes.

Yeah, there were a few scenes where the audience in the theater I was in laughed out loud because of how ridiculous some stunts were. Although, I did like it more than a lot of the previous ones.

I saw a few movies:

MAN OF STEEL: Very good movie, I loved it! Saw a few Easter Eggs such as the LexCorp truck and the "Wayne Enterprises" logo on the satellite Zod destroyed. My only problem was I didn't feel the "emotion" I did in Gotham in the Dark Knight trilogy, but Snyder did really good. 9.5/10 I'd recommend it to anyone!

SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK: I really thought this was clever and funny, Jennifer Lawrence was stunning like always (celebrity crush at the moment) and it was pretty funny seeing her with Bradley Cooper because you could really notice the age difference when they were together! It was really fun and enjoyable. 9/10

DJANGO UNCHAINED: I really liked this film and it's my first Terrantino film (did I make a good choice?). Foxx was awesome and I liked the storyline throughout and this was also very fun and enjoyable.The action was priceless and violence seemed somewhat hardcore. 9/10

DJANGO UNCHAINED: I really liked this film and it's my first Terrantino film (did I make a good choice?). Foxx was awesome and I liked the storyline throughout and this was also very fun and enjoyable.The action was priceless and violence seemed somewhat hardcore. 9/10

If you liked that, check out Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs on Netflix. RD was Tarantino's first, and PF is considered his magnum opus, so you can get a good taste of his unique style.

The other night I watched Darren Aronofsky's Pi. More than almost any other movie I've ever seen, what the #%!&? did I just watch? It was impeccably shot and acted (just like Requiem for a Dream) and it was oddly thrilling, but seriously, what?

Tonight: either Children of Men, or Oldboy. Maybe both. I like heavy movies, what can I say?

Man of Steel - It was by far the best Superman movie to date. Gone is the overly cheesy boy scout Superman from the previous films (Ok, there was still some cheese). But, the action was something that we have all wanted to see for so long, so long. Good lord, how nice it was to see someone get punched through a building. My only major issue with the movie was with it's editing. I would have preferred the more linear approach than the flash backs. It was sometimes obnoxious that it felt like the movie was rolling and then BAM, flash back, everything slows down. But overall it was a great film and one of my favorite Superhero films to date. Bring on Man Of Steel Rises and Justice League!

Fast and Furious 6 - Wow this movies are stupid, but how I love them so. This is yet again just ridiculous, off the wall hollywood no-brainer action... but it's done soooooo well. This movie never apologizes for it's absurdity nor does it try to act like it's ever real, and for that it's easy to let it all just happen. Not sure this one beats Fast Five, but it's a close second in my opinion. And it's ability to finally tie Tokyo Drift into the overall storyline was very welcome.

My Opinions about the Nolan Batman Trilogy stand as this

Batman Begins:Best comic book movie of the franchise.

The Dark Knight:A good film mostly because of Heath Ledger's performance,but not a good comic book movie. Plus it is slight overrated.

The Dark Knight Rises:This was a very awful movie. Many, many plot holes, pointless main villain,and was a overall boring movie. I love how Nolanites blindly defend this film even though it was crap. The Avengers and Amazing Spider-Man were both better movies in 2012, with The Avengers being my favorite comic book movie of all time.

^ Wow we have completely different opinions:

BATMAN BEGINS: The WORST of the series, I hated the way Scarecrow was portrayed and he's my second favorite Batman villain behind Riddler, I definitely thought it could've been better, all though I did like how Rás Al Ghaúl was portrayed.

THE DARK KNIGHT: The BEST of the series, Heath Ledger played an AWESOME Joker! I think Aaron Eckhart portrayed Two Face pretty good, I also really felt "Gotham" in this movie, something I didn't feel in Man of Steel with Metropolis. This was the best of the trilogy IMHO and it had an incredible storyline.

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES: This was good as well, showed what Bane was capable of doing. Only thing I disliked was that it took FOREVER for Bale/ Wayne to finally become "Batman", I also disliked that the movie focused more on Catwoman but it was still a pretty epic way to end the series.

Edited by _IntaMAN_

I recently saw Star Trek Into Darkness. When the ending credits began, I literally stood up, and said "Nerdtastic!".

Some of my favorite movies are:

Inception: My overall favorite. I am a huge fan of cerebral thrillers, and I think this one is the most well executed.

Primer: I read about it, and I caught it on Netflix. The most confusing movie ever. But I found it a fun challenge.

Monty Python and The Holy Grail: Stupid, random, awesomely funny humor.

Well, it took long enough but 2013 has finally hit its stride in the world of movies.

Iron Man 3: Still my favorite superhero character to date. Grade: A

Star Trek: Excellent movie!!! The last 2 movies along with II and IV are my all time favorites in the series. Now if JJ can bring new life to Star Wars, he'll be a God. lol. Grade: A

Fast & Furious 6: Is it me or are these movies becoming more enjoyable as they go? Well, at least the last three have each gotten better. Grade: B+

Man of Steel: Well done and definitely the best since Superman II. As far as my favorites go, I would put this just behind the The Avengers, Iron Man, and The Dark Knight in that order. Grade: A-

The last 6 weeks have been a real treat for the sci-fi/superhero fan like myself.

I've seen five movies over the past month, and since they're all still playing I'll rate all of them.

Iron Man 3: I like the Iron Man series, but I don't love it. Iron Man 3 was pretty good, but I wish it was closer to the previous installments in the series, as it felt very different to me. Still, it was enjoyable, and it was certainly better than Iron Man 2, but using this as a benchmark I don't think Phase Two of the Marvel Cinematic Universe will quite live up to Phase One. B

The Great Gatsby: I only went to go see this because I remembered reading the book in high school. It was decent, worth seeing but probably something worth waiting for the DVD on. The film did drag a little, but it never got to the point where I just wanted it to end. B

Star Trek Into Darkness: Outstanding! The best movie I've seen this year and my favorite Star Trek movie. I understand why the movie upset Trekkies as it does make significant changes to previously established canon, but I didn't have a problem with that (although I'm only a moderate Star Trek fan). Saw this one twice and it was just as good the second time, and definitely one I'll be adding to my home collection. A

Now You See Me: I liked this one, but didn't love it. I've always been a fan of magic tricks, so the premise of the film was the primary reason I went to see it. It was very good until the third act, where the film somewhat fell apart and the conclusion was somewhat disappointing, but overall it was definitely worth seeing. B

Man of Steel: Although I like superhero movies, I don't really care for Superman and only went to see this so a family member didn't have to go alone. I personally don't get all the hype around this film, and I thought it was just okay. The first half was decent, but the second half turned into extended CGI fight scenes with nothing particularly interesting going on. I also find it boring when two guys spend several minutes pummeling each other and destroying half the city in the process, then neither one has a scratch. C

Man of Steel: Just like The Avengers and Transformers 3, this is a film about aliens destroying New York. I really liked the first hour and a half, Russell Crowe makes an excellent Jor-El and Michael Shannon gave General Zod much more depth than your average comic book baddie. The real problem with this film is the ending. The big climactic battle leads into... a smaller, less climactic battle, third-Matrix Neo vs Agent Smith style. However it's still better than most comic-book films so I'd recommend.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe Movies in order from least to greatest(in my opinion):

The Avengers

Captain America:The First Avenger

Iron Man

Thor

The Incredible Hulk (Extremely underrated)

Iron Man 2

Iron Man 3(At first it was better than TIH/IM2,but the more I thought about it the less I enjoyed it. In contrast the more times I've viewed Iron Man 2 I've enjoyed it more.)

This is the End

Absolutely hilarious. Probably the funniest movie I've seen since Superbad. It was smart and deliciously raunchy in all the right ways. This movie will be quite quotable for years to come.

And I have been waiting for a Seth Rogen movie to be good again since Superbad. Looking forward to seeing this one.

This is the End

Absolutely hilarious. Probably the funniest movie I've seen since Superbad. It was smart and deliciously raunchy in all the right ways. This movie will be quite quotable for years to come.

agreed. . the extended argument (between McBride & Franco) on "Semen Etiquette" was pure gold and worth the price of admission alone.

super, super raunchy, and laugh out loud hysterical in places.

It absolutely helps if you are familiar with the actors, but you don't really NEED to know who Aziz Ansari or Mindy Kaling are to laugh at the jokes, but as I said, it helps.

recommended.

Saw World War Z this past Thursday. Thought it was good. Nothing amazing, but a nice action end of the world zombie movie. I didn't read the book, so I can't compare it, but a friend who did said it was totally different and was disappointed.

Man of Steel: Just like The Avengers and Transformers 3, this is a film about aliens destroying New York.

Only Avengers was New York. Transformers 3 was Chicago and Man of Steel was the fake city of Metropolis.

Saw Monsters University. It was surprisingly hilarious! I always liked Monsters Inc, but it was never close to being my favorite Pixar movie. That said, I thought Monsters University was much better than the original. I feel like this is finally Pixar getting back on the right track. I haven't been impressed with any of their movies since UP came out in 2009.

Watched Warm Bodies the other night. Really liked the way it was done and presented instead of your typical zombie film. Granted it was basically a love story but still. Definitely had me laughing way more than anticipated and had more good one liners. Thought the soundtrack was outstanding too.

This year in theaters for me:

Iron Man 3: This movie had some intense action sequences that were very fun to watch. Something does happen in this movie that did really hurt it for me. I still like it more than Iron Man 2, which was pretty boring. Of the movies I've seen in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (Have yet to see the Incredible Hulk), this is closer to the bottom, right above Iron Man 2, but right below Iron Man (which, after watching it again, was very good). Overall, good movie with some really good sequences to it, but one HUGE issue that really detracted from the movie, in my opinion.

Man of Steel: Man of Steel is pure excitement. Tons of wonderful effects and a really good villain in General Zod. The movie was well-acted and I have to give props to Snyder. He did a great job rebooting Superman. The battle scenes were really well-done, in my opinion. I felt that this was definitely better than Iron Man 3 and has become one of my favorite superhero movies.

Star Trek Into Darkness: This movie blew me away. The visuals. The emotion. The characters. Wow. This was my first Star Trek experience. I had never seen any of the TV shows or any of the movies. This movie has encouraged me to go watch the old TV shows and the movies. I also got to see the infamous Klingons. This movie is just absolutely incredible. This beats out Avengers for my favorite movie experience.

World War Z: I was a bit hesitant with World War Z. I wasn't sure what this was going to be like. It turned out to be a fun summer action flick. The scenes were interesting and fun. The visuals were very nice and I was impressed with the direction the film went in. However, I have heard that the book and movie are not similar at all. I don't care, as the movie still was pretty fun. Brad Pitt did a good job, in my opinion.

So, of these four films, I have to say my favorite is Star Trek Into Darkness, which I highly recommend. My least favorite of the bunch is Iron Man 3, which was still good, but not great.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a chance to see a screening of the new horror movie The Conjuring. If you've been disappointed with the likes of Paranormal Activity and Insidious, this one is likely to deliver in areas where they failed. I was shockingly surprised and glad to say.. It's AMAZING. I went in totally cold, not having seen a trailer, nor knowing anything about the story or plot and it turned out to be one of the best horror movies I have ever seen.

The things that make 'The Shining', 'Poltergeist', and 'The Exorcist' good is that if the editor were to chop out all the jump-scares and those sequences that fry an image into your brain, you would still have a moody, edgy story that makes you sympathies for the characters and their struggle. James Wan (the director) Does this PERFECTLY.

I particularly liked the way the film took a turn for the comical somewhere in the middle, only for perhaps five minutes, then came back firing on all cylinders as it headed to the finale. If this was intentional, to lure us into a false sense of security, it worked beautifully.

All this not to say The Conjuring doesn't have its share of frightening visuals and piss your pants moments. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a great horror film. I will be seeing this movie again when it comes out.

Happy to say it's a 10/10