TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

I know that this probably isn't the crowd for it , but I caught The King's Speech in Sacramento last week and really liked it. Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush, and Helena Bonham Carter are very good in it.

I really want to see this, but its kinda hard to find it playing. I am starting to really like indie films, and love the fact there is an indie theater close by.

Finally saw Tron: Legacy. For once they made a sequel that didn't ruin my childhood! It wasn't perfect, kinda silly in parts, but it was far from horrible. It actually paid "just enough" homage to the first film while creating plenty of new content to keep it original. I'd give it a solid "B"

I know that this probably isn't the crowd for it , but I caught The King's Speech in Sacramento last week and really liked it. Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush, and Helena Bonham Carter are very good in it.

I'll echo Chuck's statement. It's an excellent movie.

Finally saw Tron: Legacy. For once they made a sequel that didn't ruin my childhood! It wasn't perfect, kinda silly in parts, but it was far from horrible. It actually paid "just enough" homage to the first film while creating plenty of new content to keep it original. I'd give it a solid "B"

I found that movie quite enjoyable though the script could had used an upgrade.

if you call a total worldwide draw of 250 million thus far a "box office flop" then what do you call Jonah Hex?

I know that the movie did not meet the expectations of many, and thus did not make the totals the its was expected (200 million domestic, 470 worldwide)

The movie is still pretty strong world wide and it will probably finish out with a 310 million dollar pull.

^The movie's production budget cost $170 million. Add to that the over $100 million Disney spent on marketing. That's almost $300 million total the company has spent just for this film.

The box office totals right now are around $257 million. Disney will receive about HALF of the revenue from the ticket sales.

So yes, it is a worldwide box office failure. Some news outlets even reported it as a worldwide flop after opening weekend.

http://www.examiner.com/movies-in-las-vegas/tron-legacy-soars-imax-debut-flops-worldwide-box-office

^Cillian would play a great villain.

However I'd be shocked if Disney dumped money into a sequel to Tron: Legacy as the film is doing poorly at the box office. It needs to haul in about $500 million in ticket sales just to break even and it has only reached half of that at the moment.

I wasn't bored by the movie (Jeff Bridges offered a nice counterpoint to the high-tech stuff with his "hippie zen" take on his original character). Good eye candy, meh story (like the original), but enjoyable to watch over beer and nachos at the Movie Tavern in Williamsburg. I thought the music was pretty good, too.

Just last week, I watched the film adaptation of "Silent Hill" (my favorite videogame series). The film is like a drinking game: drink everytime you hear the main character say, "SHARON?!...... SHARON?!!........ SHARON?!" You'd probably die of alcohol poisoning, though.

It wasn't a bad movie, certainly better than most video game adaptations I've seen.

Which also reminds me, they are making a sequel to the film "Silent Hill: Revelation 3D." I'm interested in the plot, and I like that the film is centered around the protagonist from the 3rd game, Heather Mason; however, the 3D gimmick is really getting on my nerves.

I wasn't bored by the movie (Jeff Bridges offered a nice counterpoint to the high-tech stuff with his "hippie zen" take on his original character). Good eye candy, meh story (like the original), but enjoyable to watch over beer and nachos at the Movie Tavern in Williamsburg. I thought the music was pretty good, too.

Gotta love the good Ole Movie Tavern! Cheapest Tickets in Town... (Not including the magical food that appears in front of you mid-movie!)

I saw the Expendables there in August is love to be able to eat a cheeseburger and fries while watching Jason Statham blow up a dock!

Just saw "Season of the Witch"....started out thinking that I would like it....about 30 minutes into the film I found myself restless....a little over an hour into it my buddy and I were laughing at it...at the end I felt like I had just watched a M. Night Shyamalamadingdong movie...you know the ones that "look" great but drop you at the end with a weak close?? The dialogue between Nick Cage and Ron Pearlman is at times comic relief but the plot is dry in my opinion and there is not enough visual "action."

Finally got around to seeing Inception.

And like everybody else, honestly, what the hell was I watching? Sure it was a still a good movie, well-paced with action, and good special effects. I know Christopher Nolan directs some odd movies, but this one takes the cake for how to comprehend the story.

4/5

My husband and I watched Clash of the Titans (the 2010 version) last weekend. He'd heard from friends that it wasn't good. I thought it was okay; not great, but not terrible. It started out slow, but picked up the pace later on when they actually started fighting things. I stayed awake for the whole thing if that's any kind of endorsement.

Just saw "Season of the Witch"....started out thinking that I would like it....about 30 minutes into the film I found myself restless....a little over an hour into it my buddy and I were laughing at it...at the end I felt like I had just watched a M. Night Shyamalamadingdong movie...you know the ones that "look" great but drop you at the end with a weak close?? The dialogue between Nick Cage and Ron Pearlman is at times comic relief but the plot is dry in my opinion and there is not enough visual "action."

John, what was with this movie, a witch movie that's really about something else. A dull two hours of nothing, sadly very funny in places for all the wrong reasons.

Starting to think that Nic Cage is just being a film whore for the money.

Afterschool: 6.5/10

A friend told me about this movie, and raved about how "true" it was about American school culture. I found it severely slow-paced, to the point where I just wanted to fast forward it, and felt as though the trailer hyped me up too much for what exactly this movie was. Parts of it were quite chilling, but I think most young people can relate to how the main character attempts to discover life through the internet.

Watched "The Road" with Viggo Mortinson. I saw it won a bunch of awards, got rave reviews, even was told it was "one of the most important movies of the generation." I was pretty bored throughout the movie. Nothing really happened. The was one cool scene when they man and the boy were escaping from a house; but it was dark, depressing, and uneventful.

I was dissapointed.

When they announced the movie version of The Road, I wondered how they were going to make a movie out of such a bleak novel (and a very good one). I think they captured Cormac McCarthy's story pretty well; that is, I think it's one of the more "realistic" apocalypse movies. It's not so much about the end of days as it is about a boy's relationship with his father.

If you want to see a really bizarre take on the "end of the world," check out Six-String Samurai. Call it "rockabilly/heavy-metal apocalypse."

Woo hoo!

"The Kids Are Alright" won Best Film - Comedy/Musical at the Golden Globes last night!

And Annette Bening won for Best Actress in the same category!

Rent it. It's a great film, IMhO. I'm sorry we missed it in the theatre.

Well written and the acting by Bening, Julianne Moore, Guarfalo (Mr.Donor) and the kids... all great.

I hope it gets Oscar nom love, although it probably wouldn't win against either "King's Speech" or "Social Network."

Butcha never know, hmm?

I agree, The Road was extremely depressing, and not very exciting. I did, however, love the scene with Robert Duvall (who improvised the story about having a son!).

A much better post-apocalyptic movie is The Book of Eli.

Wow, the two were right next to each other at the library...I should have chosen Book of Eli haha. I did like Robert Duvall's part.