TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

I liked Up, myself; actually, I think Pixar has been getting more daring since Cars. How many animated movies have a character die in the first ten minutes? (Haven't seen the latest Toy Story yet.)

I've got to agree with you here, as a staunch critic of the animation industry, Pixar is the only major animation studio that gives me hope. They use animation as a true art form, as opposed to a medium used to sell to kids, like Disney and DreamWorks animation houses do, in my opinion.

^Your opinion is absolutely WRONG!

In all seriousness, it's not a movie for everyone. Personally it's my favorite movie of all time but don't expect most people to enjoy it since it attracts such a small portion of the population.

I saw the new Harry Potter last weekend when it came out. It was quite good, possibly my favorite of all the movies so far. I like all the other movies but this felt significantly more mature and serious compared to the others. And not being set in Hogwarts was a great change of pace. I'm very much looking forward to part 2.

Tangled: 8/10

I thought I would like this better than I did. Maybe it was because I was tired, but for the most part I didn't find much of the humor or songs that interesting. I can see what they did in the advertising, trying to make it seem more of an adventure story than a 'princess' story. The 'princess' side fought back and felt like *that* was the real movie. I did like the villain, Mother Gothel, she did her villainy thing, very smartly. Perhaps it was too smart for the movie, the ending almost had to be so sudden and out of nowhere because MG did her job right.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows:

I think this is my favorite of the Harry Potter movies. Funny enough, it is about as far away from a Harry Potter movie as you can get. The style, the look, and the feel shift this movie out of the simple, fantasy world of the other movies. There is a realism about the movie, and that helps emphasize the heaviness and darkness permeating the film. The acting is probably the best of all the movies, most improved I think is Emma Watson. Despite being the best of them, I am sure that anyone who hasn't followed Harry Potter would be utterly lost. Even though everything that you need to know is explained-the Hallows themselves in a very nicely graphic way. Despite the added length of two parts, it did feel a little choppy, only because there is so much material to include. Still the ending hit the mark with plenty of emotion from a sad event that comes from the middle of the book. I can't wait for the second part.

I just saw on retro tv today a movie called Rollercoaster. It was some awful campy 70's flick about a bomber that goes around to amusement parks and sets bombs on coasters. The went to Kings Dominion. Has anyone else seen this?? I was in tears laughing cause it was just so awful.

^ I saw that movie on tv recently, it was pretty cheesy but that's how those types of movies were then. But I kinda liked it. The parks have changed so much in 30 years- I barely recognized Magic Moutain. I like the ending how he tries to cross the tracks...

I just saw the trailer for Cars 2.

Honestly, I have no idea what to think.

They ditched the charming, small-scale feel of the first film in favor of a save-the-world-OMG-SUPER-SPY-AWESOME-EXPLOSIONS movie, which I think is one of the worst choices Disney/Pixar has ever made.

I'm scared about how this is gonna turn out. Cars was mediocre at best, this could be terrible.

Saw Deathly Hallows, it was good but a bit slow for me. Seems like they could have made the movie shorter than it was. Quite good though nonetheless. Gets extra points though cause they brought back my favorite character, Dolores Umbridge.

I just saw the trailer for Cars 2.

Honestly, I have no idea what to think.

They ditched the charming, small-scale feel of the first film in favor of a save-the-world-OMG-SUPER-SPY-AWESOME-EXPLOSIONS movie, which I think is one of the worst choices Disney/Pixar has ever made.

I'm scared about how this is gonna turn out. Cars was mediocre at best, this could be terrible.

I kinda liked Cars, but the ending was ever-so-cheesy. I didn't think Cars 2 sounded good from the start, but you never know.

Black Swan 9/10

This movie is very hard to describe. I absolutely love Darren Aronofsky and this film was no exception. He once again bends the frame of realty, never really revealing what is real or fake, but keeping us intrigued the entire time. This film is also not necessarily about ballet, but the hell ballerinas must endure, which appeared to be VERY painful. The movie is also relatively disturbing, you never know whats really going on so there is some definite gore and horror elements that are thrown in very well. There is also a sex scene between Portman and Kunis which is not only AWESOME(hey...I'm a teenaged guy) but also plays very well into the story. This is also the time the lady in front of me covered the eyes of her nine year old...its an r rated movie from the guy who made Requiem for gods sake...not a good place for young kids.

All in all a very awesome indie film that very well blends art house style cinema.(there are a few twirls and tricks of the camera that imitates a balerina that was very cool as it spun and jumped ) It also blended some very good horror elements that were enough to keep you intrigued, but didn't take away from the beauty of the film.

Is this a great film? Yes. Is this a film for everyone? No, it is very confusing and trippy, but worth the ride. Also, just because its about dancing does not mean it is not intense. There are a few VERY disturbing sequences that are pretty hard to watch, and there are a few things that happen that will disturb you. Just remember, don't look away from this film just because it deals with ballet. Ballet s just the vehicle, but the ride itself is not about ballet and is awesome for the guys and gals. Also, I would not suggest this as a date movie, because that scene with Natale Portman and Mla Kunis...together.... OMG! Anyway, go see this ASAP. Portman deserves an oscar for her role and there are several awesome supporting rolls.

GREAT FILM!

^ I dont remember too much sex, but the level of gore can be pretty damn high. Just remember, it is a WEIRD ASS movie, brilliant and awesome, but weird. I recommend watching with friends as it is that kind of movie. Its very fun, but remember, its from the guys who made saw and dead silence, and while its not as gory or scary as either of those it is a musical for horror fans, so be warned, I LOVE it though.

Anyone else pumped for rare exports? Best movie concept in ages!

I'm seriously interested in seeing Repo! The Genetic Opera sometime soon.

Is there anything I should know about it before watching? Specifically, the level of gore and sex?

AWESOME MOVIE!!! Yes it is gory as hell, but still amazing. Sarah Brightman as Blind Mag is absolutely brilliant! I love this movie so much I bought it. As far as gore goes, it is from the guy who did the original SAW movie. 'Nuff said.

David

Evil Dead 2: 11/10. A sawed off shotgun and a chainsaw have never been more awesome, and those are both already relatively awesome. This movie has everything from classic jump out of you skin horror to the awesome, twisted fun of grindhouse. This is the only movie to ever startle me(I love horror films but am very easily startled) and make me laugh my ass off at the same time. This movie also is awesome due not only to the fiendish spirits and awesome script, but also to the often over the top but always incredibly entertaining acting of Bruce Campbell. Sam Raimi is in his element with these awesome horror films, and this as well as the other evil dead movies and drag me to hell. Dont watch his remake of the grudge or his other films, instead watch what Raimi does best, a violent bad ass horror film which will scary you and make you laugh.

If you are a horror fan or just want a good scare it is essential that you watch this brilliant horror film. The evil dead one(another classic, despite being essentially the same movie) is on netflix instant stream. That being said you do not need to watch evil dead to understand Evil Dead 2, and in my opinion the second is superior.

SEE THIS MOVIE!

This movie is so awesome that I have prepared a very bold statement...

Chuck Norris is Bruce Campbells bitch. Heres evidence.

SPOILER ALERT BELOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chuck Norris: I just used kung fu to save myself and I'm in Walker Texas Ranger

Bruce Campbell: Oh, I just killed some possesed people with a chainsaw as well as cut my zombie ex girlfriends face in half. Then I fought all the other undead and eventually had to cut off my hand with the chainsaw because the possessed took over my hand. I then created a device which allows me to put the chainsaw where my hand used to be, I then killed a bunch of the possessed and sent them back to another dimension, which I am now trapped in.

Chuck Norris: HOW THE #### AM I SUPPOSED TO COMPETE WITH THAT BADASSERY?

TRON: LEGACY

4 out of 5 stars

After its predecessor was unleashed in July of 1982, Tron: Legacy comes to the big screen after 28 years of uncertainty. It you have never seen the original cult hit, then this movie may be hard to keep up to start. Use the use of parallels and a script of character driven interaction mingling with fun computer animation action, T:L is a excited thrill ride! With the return of Jeff Bridges as Kevin Flynn and the newcomers Garrett Hedlund and Olivia Wilde as Sam Flynn and Quorra, this movie stands as a tribute that bridges the 28 year in between. I recommend it to any audience. I should hope with word of mouth, this movie will be 2010's Avatar. Go see it, other than a few technical Tron-universe lingo, transition from real to "gird" world, and a slow moment half way through, it produces a highly-fun adventure that will make you want to see it again.

Tron Legacy

4/5 stars as well

It was visually stunning, had a pretty good story and was pretty much what I expected. However, this was the first time walking out of a 3D movie where I felt it needed to be seen in 3D.

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

Totally awesome movie. Along with Kick Ass it's the coolest movie of the year.

^Quite strange, I just watched both those movies yesterday. And my opinions are pretty much the same. I loved the 3D in Tron as it wasn't overdone like most movies and actually added to the movie. People were complaining about it in the theater after it was over but I feel the message at the beginning is what put them off. A little unnecessary in my opinion (the message that is) but I really liked how well done it was.

I too just came back from TRON, and I was actually quite pleased with it, especially after reading some of the harsher reviews on Roten Tomatoes. Sometimes you just have to form an opinion for yourself though, and now that I've seen it, I feel that it was a decent film, or at least a bit better than what some of those critics said.

I had initially planned on buying an IMAX-3D ticket since our local theater recently put in an IMAX screen, but $17 seemed a bit too much and I instead went with the Real-D theater. Has anyone seen TRON (or any other film, for that matter) in IMAX, and if you have, do you feel that the larger screen justifies the extra price?

Edited by BigDipper 80