TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

^That movie was...interesting. The 'twist' wasn't very twisty. It was about as twisty as Superman: The Escape. The premise was fun though. A nice alteration of the classic slasher movies.

I saw The American the other day with some relatives. It was alright. Not quite as good as many reviews were making it out to be but still entertaining. It just failed at really developing ANY connection to the characters. Because of this the story really lacked since it really didn't feel like it mattered at all. And as a picky side note, the whole butterfly metaphor...cliche...poor choice. But overall still entertaining. I'd give it a 6/10.

• 2 weeks later...

Watch the "reimagining" of The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari last night. Pretty cool, for art house cinema. They filmed current actors in black and white, then put them against the original 1917 silent film backdrops to re-tell the story told in the original film, but with words.

Pretty neat.

So, it's October, a lovely haunting month, and I figured a Horror Movie Marathon was in order! My hopeful goal is 31 total movies watched by Halloween night, keep in mind that they have to be movies that I've never seen before, so it should be interesting. I will rate all of the movies out of 10 and give a brief review. I hope this'll be fun, whether or not I actually make it to 31! I have included my list so far, but there is only 19 right now, so feel free to post suggestions or recommendations!

The Haunting in Connecticut

The Last House on the Left [1972]

The Omen

Borderland

Amusement

I Know What You Did Last Summer

Train

P2

Fear Dot Com

My Bloody Valentine

Return to Sleepaway Camp

Copycat

The Perfect Witness

The Alphabet Killer

The Crazies [Original]

The Mailman

Haunting

Wicked Little Things

The Haunting of Molly Hartley

Edited by Mr. Starr

I recently went to see Grown Ups. It's the new comedy with Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Chris Rock, David Spade and Rob Schneider. There are some extreme laugh out loud moments and some really cool water park scenes!

Iff you have not seen this movie go!

p.s. The church/chapel used for the funeral scene is a facade at Warner Bros. Studios Hollywood. I saw it on a recent trip.

On this year's Halloween night, All Terminator films will be premiering on Channel 7!

FAIL! Halloween is for scary movies! Not Terminator.

Whose got some recommendations for a Halloween Movie Marathon! Make it as offensive, gory, scary, freaky, whatever, I have no limits and will watch most anything as long as its good.

^^ Starr... I recommend the film Trick R Treat. It is often considered to be the best straight to DVD movie of all time and is considered to be one of the best recent horror movies along horror fans. It is very fun and VERY entertaining, and although it is a lot of fun and is a movie that sets an awesome feeling for the season. It is very good as well, because it is also set on Halloween Night, which, unlike a lot of horror movies gives it a true Halloween feel.

Also I recommend seeing Let me in(I have heard good things) or Let the Right One In, which is an awesome film.

So, it's October, a lovely haunting month, and I figured a Horror Movie Marathon was in order! My hopeful goal is 31 total movies watched by Halloween night, keep in mind that they have to be movies that I've never seen before, so it should be interesting. I will rate all of the movies out of 10 and give a brief review. I hope this'll be fun, whether or not I actually make it to 31! I have included my list so far, but there is only 19 right now, so feel free to post suggestions or recommendations!

The Omen

Borderland

Amusement

Train

P2

Fear Dot Com

My Bloody Valentine

Return to Sleepaway Camp

Copycat

The Perfect Witness

The Alphabet Killer

The Crazies [Original]

The Mailman

Haunting

Wicked Little Things

First off, I COMPLETELY agree with the ghost about "Trick 'r Treat". I went to the premier of that movie and, wow. It rocks. Let the Right One In is also quite good, but not too scary. One other thing I would like to add...P2 did not scare me. The opening scene really got me, but after that it just got worse and worse. It was not scary to me.

Now for my recommendations: Watch "IMPRINT" by Takashi Miike. This film is a horror masterpiece. It will leave you cringing and thinking about it for ages. Also, "El Orfanato" (The Orphanage) by Gulliermo del Toro is totally epic. I thought about it for days afterward, and it has left a lasting impression on me. I loved it. Have you seen Orphan? It was entertaining. Also, Silence of the Lambs is very intense. You have probably seen those though.

---Antonio "hope that helps you get to your 31 films!" G.

Which "Haunting" are you referring to--the original version directed by Robert Wise or the later "remake"? The Wise version is much, much better.

You might want to add The Legend of Hell House to your list. The original Richard Matheson novel Hell House is very good, too, and the story is sort of a reply to Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House.

Let Me In

I'm always leery of a remake, especially when the original was so great. But this movie manages to be very faithful to the original while still being it's own movie. I was the only person in my theater which is kind of sad, this movie needs to be seen. SO much better than those "other" vampire movies.

The Omen

Borderland

Amusement

Train

P2

Fear Dot Com

My Bloody Valentine

Return to Sleepaway Camp

Copycat

The Perfect Witness

The Alphabet Killer

The Crazies [Original]

The Mailman

Haunting [Original]

Wicked Little Things

Trick 'r Treat

Imprint

Session 9

El Orfanato

The Legend of Hell House

Okay, edit time! I've bolded the ones I've watched so far, but hopefully I'll catch up this weekend I've added all of the recommendations so far, as well as some news ones, thanks guys!

Also, most of these movies are the older/original versions, as I've seen most of the newer remakes

Again, thanks for the reccomendations! I'll post here later to update

Let Me In

I'm always leery of a remake, especially when the original was so great. But this movie manages to be very faithful to the original while still being it's own movie. I was the only person in my theater which is kind of sad, this movie needs to be seen. SO much better than those "other" vampire movies.

QFT! Go see let me in now and kill the modern vamps. If anyone wants a contemporary movie with vampires that dont break any classic vampire rules(like going out during the day...WTF TWILIGHT) then I highly recommend seeing this film. This movie is so good... a perfect movie with an amazing ambiance, which makes up for its lack of jump out of your seat scares.

Also an awesome remake! 10/10

Jackass 3D

One of the best movies to watch with friends this year.

The 3D, unfortunately, is few and far between save for a few stunts. In this movie, there's more of a "gross-out" factor of stunts involving crap and whatever other bodily fluids you can name rather than good ol' fashioned "physical" stunts that the Jackass crew have been known for (then again, you think they've become feeble after doing this for 10+ years and countless injuries). I can tell you, better have an iron gut before seeing Jackass 3D, because it has some of the more outrageous gross-out stunts I've seen.

Its not necessarily good nor bad. If you're a fan, see it; if you don't like or don't "get" Jackass, just ignore it.

Enter The Void is probably the most mindblowing movie ever made. It will be remembered like how 2001 is; a towering technical and visual achievement in film history. Only about 1% of the filmgoing public can handle a movie like this but at the same time you can't really consider yourself a film buff without seeking it out. It's unfortunatley only in very limited release but you can order it on demand. Simply jawdropping.

Exit Through The Gift Shop is another must see from this year, especially if you like street art.

I'm absolutely dying to see Exit Through the Gift Shop. Banksy's work is so amazing, he's definitely one of my favorite modern artists, not to mention the single greatest street artist of all time. As an art school student, Banksy is like a hero to me ( my avatar is my own banksy-inspired stencil art) I can imagine his film is really great, unfortunately i can't find a theater showing it in my area.