TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

Until recently I've only seen parts of "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford," but I bought the DVD and it's probably the best $7 that I have ever spent on anything. Brad Pitt did the part very well and me being a film student I must say the cinematography was excellent. I also happen to be a big music buff and the score for the movie was probably one of the best that I have ever heard.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/celebritology/2010/07/guillermo_del_toro_to_take_on.html

I am excited for this! A Haunted Mansion film that hopefully won't suck!

EDIT- Here is another press release from Comic-Con:

SAN DIEGO, Calif. – July 22, 2010 –Guillermo del Toro surprised the 6,500 fans gathered today at Comic-Con with the announcement that he is currently developing a new film for The Walt Disney Studios based on the classic Disney theme park attraction, The Haunted Mansion.

“Dark imagery is an integral part of the Walt Disney legacy. After all, Disney himself was the father of some really chilling moments and characters - think Chernabog from Fantasia or Maleficent as the Dragon or the Evil Queen in Snow White,” said del Toro. “I couldn't be more excited to be a part of my own adaptation of the original theme park attraction Walt envisioned and that remains- for me- the most desirable piece of real estate in the whole world!"

“Millions of people from around the world visit The Haunted Mansion each year, but no one has ever had a tour guide like Guillermo del Toro,” said Rich Ross, Chairman of The Walt Disney Studios. “Guillermo is one of the most gifted and innovative filmmakers working today and he is going to take audiences on a visually-thrilling journey like they’ve never experienced before.”

I would be very nervous, but I love Del Torro. Pans Labrynth is one of my favorite movies, and is one of the few that has a very happy/sad ending that gets me every time. Also I really liked Hell boy two, and I love all Del Torros "creatures" so I cant wait to see this. Also the hatbox ghost is a badass.

So I have watched a few random movies this weekend I had never seen before or hadn't seen in a while. I think you'll notice a trend in the movies I watched.

The first was Life as a House. I had seen part of this a while back but knew nothing about it really and enjoyed it thoroughly. Nothing groundbreaking, but definitely Hayden's best performance to date. The story was nice and the house was pretty interesting. I'd give it a 6.5/10

The second was Glass House. I decided to watch this since I hadn't seen it since it came out. I loved it back when it did, but I was much younger then and was mostly interested in the (extremely sexy) architecture of the Glass' house. My opinion has definitely changed. The movie was entertaining but pretty poorly acted and didn't really do anything for me. The house was even sexier than I had remembered however. The blue cabinets in the kitchen and the glass-walled master suite are right up my alley. The movie, not so much. 3.5/10

The last was When a Stranger Calls. I had heard basically all bad things about it but saw it in the related videos section on IMDB when looking up information on the house used in Glass House and decided to check it out. Before watching it I found pictures of the house used in the film and had to see it if only for that reason. The reviews were pretty accurate in that the movie was pretty crappy and filled with boring horror movie cliches. The house though. My god that was one gorgeous house. Unfortunately after doing some digging I found it was just a set built in the Upper Franklin Canyon Reservoir in Beverly Hills and was not a real house. That didn't stop it from being gorgeous though. I just wish that modern architecture in house design wasn't portrayed as cold and menacing like it is in most movies, including this and The Glass House. I'd give this movie a 3/10 with two of those points going to the house.

If anyone has any suggestions for any movies where modern architecture (or architecture in general) plays an important character in a movie, let me know as I would be very interested in seeing them.

Okay here we go. The newest movies I've seen:

Inception - 8/10

- You will think a lot, and in order to really enjoy the movies full potential you probably should see it a few times. After I understood what was going on, I really enjoyed it. I loved the action scenes (Especially the hallway) and the writing and creativity was superb. I highly recommend this movie. I do like Dark Knight better though. This movie did become a little overwhelming and too much at some points, but it would have been impossible to write around that with a story this complex.

Toy Story 3 - 9/10

- I went into this movie expecting HIGH ASS expectations as I loved the first two movies. Thank god this movie didn't suck. As a matter of fact, I think this could be my favorite out of the three. I didn't cry like people say, but I did find it an emotional scene when they *SPOILER* all held hands when they all thought they were about to die *SPOILER END* The reason I didn't cry at the end was because I found it PERFECT closure to the series. Couldn't have been better. Good job Pixar, another classic masterpiece.

Robin Hood - 6/10

- I'm a little late on this movie. To tell you the truth, I wasn't that interested in it. To be honest, I found it entertaining, and I would probably watch a sequel to it, however that is it. Something in this movie was missing. I think it was that it had a story, but no feeling or heart to the movie. I wasn't captured by the movie. I wasn't feeling the movie. I was just sitting in the theater watching it and I knew this throughout. As a matter of fact, I caught myself looking at the time checking how much longer I have to watch. It was good, worth seeing if you have time. But nothing amazing.

Reservoir Dogs - 7/10

- I'm REALLy late with this movie. All I can say is: GOOD MOVIE! Good story. And as always in a Taratino film, great dialog. Of course, out of the three Taratino films I've seen (Basterds, Pulp Fiction, and now this one) this is my least favorite. It is a good movie, but not as good as Pulp Fiction. And neither of them is even comparable to Inglorious Basterds (My currently tied with Shawshank for number one)

Just Wright - 5/10

- I wanted a comedy SO BAD! It was uplifting, but not laugh out loud comedy. Fun movie to watch with friends, especially those who are good with racial jokes. (I'm not encouraging racial jokes, I'm just saying)

-- James

Watched Law Abiding Citizen for the first time just now. I thought it was decent, but I don't like the fact that they make you 'root for' Butler in the beginning, clearly making him a protagonist, but he's all of a sudden instantly switched to an antagonist about halfway through. Too many contradictions in the movie.

Overall I give it a 6.5/10.

Also watched Boondock Saints II today. A lot better, and way funnier than I thought...especially for a sequel. Romeo is hilarious, especially his 'tag-line' part.

I give it a 9/10

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is the biggest pile of steaming crap ever to be granted the grace of a high budget AND frickin' Alan Moore material. I mean, damn, I've seen more character and engagement from key-rings! On a lighter note, Inception is one of the best films I have seen in recent memory. Its up there with Blade-Runner for me.

Danny and I watched Sunshine Cleaning last week. It was good. Wasn't exactly blown away by it, but a good story. And Amy Adams is just cute.

Also watched The Road. Pretty darn depressing movie. Good acting, but depressing story. It ends on a good note, sort of, but pretty much everything else leaves you feeling pretty miserable about the world.

Had a man-date to go see The Expendables last night. Being raised on classic 80's action films, I came in very skeptical but Stallone delivered an outstanding homage to the genre. It was a straightforward let's-get-to-the-killing movie that didn't take itself too seriously, yet didn't come across as a farce or sendup. The kills were pretty over the top and even campy at times. The pacing was good and an unexpected amount of humor was quite welcome. I really appreciated the fact that it was an "honest" action film with almost zero (I only spotted 2 obvious instances) "wire-work" in the fight sequences. Even though there's a who's-who cast of all-stars, the film pretty much belongs to Stallone, Latham and Li. All in all, a fun movie. I'd be up for a sequel, which is apparently already in development.

Well, my dorm had a movie night tonight, featuring two movies:

Boondock Saints - Very violent, but very well-written and, at times, very funny. Normally, this style of movie isn't exactly my favorite, but I think it was worth watching and would most definitely watch it a second time. The death-by-toilet scene was incredible. 8/10

Everything Is Illuminated - I loved this movie. It was quirky, quite indie-ish in style, but the story behind it all was involving enough to keep me watching. The only thing I didn't quite understand is which genre it would fall into; it was a comedy for the first half, but rather depressing and dramatic for the last half. Regardless of genre, it was a very good watch. Highly recommended! 9/10

Movies I am excited for,

Paranormal Activity 2 - I loved the first one, so much hate, but in reality a great use of noise instead of gore!

The Last Exorcism - Love the posters and the trailer looks great.

Saw 3D - Im a cult fan, ive seen them all no way I can skip this one!

Devil - I love M. Night and this movie looks like phone booth meets satan so im excited!

Monsters - The trailer intrigued me, so I will probably enjoy it.

And of course Harry Potter!

Up next from Netflix is Cannibal Holocaust, just finished Invictus which was fantastic and Moon which was also fantastic!