TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

Well, I had been wanting to see The Fourth Kind for a while now, so my mom went to Redbox and got it. I have to admit, it had me fooled through about a third of the movie about the whole "based on real events" thing. A few good scares, but nothing totally mind-blowing. The one part I will say was very well-done is the murder-suicide scene - it gave me the chills, and I did have to look away. That kind of subject matter doesn't sit well with me. Other than that, it wasn't very believable... or for that matter, exciting/interesting.

All in all, it's a classic case of "good concept, poor execution." 4/10

I think Roger Ebert gave an excellent review of Inception...

Check It out

My favorite excert out of it was...

If you knew how it ended, that would tell you nothing unless you knew how it got there. And telling you how it got there would produce bafflement. The movie is all about process, about fighting our way through enveloping sheets of reality and dream, reality within dreams, dreams without reality.

Go See Inception Now.

Inception was awesome! Also, on this whole pixar dreamworks pixar thing I am very happy they are getting better. IMO Sharktale was one of the worst movies ever, I just hated the entire concept and it just seemed kind of like it had been done, it almost felt like Frankenstein because he was misunderstood, but they took all the substance out of the story. All of this aside I did LOVE Kung Fu Panda, I thought it was great and original, glad to see this is becoming a trend.

Also, I know it is a LONG TIME from now, but am I the only one looking forward to Monsters inc 2? People were moaning there was going to be a sequel, but the monsters using laughter and screams to power a city was EXTREMELY original, such a good story. Also the interaction with Sully and Boo is awesome throughout, and in the final scene of monsters inc(If I remember right) he opens boos door and thats where it ends, hinting at a sequel. I dont know exactly what it will be about, but never doubt pixar...EVER!

So to those who saw Inception (and possibly any other movies out right now, not sure), what was the reaction in your theater to the trailer for Devil? When it was showing in my theater everyone, myself included, got really into it. Then something almost as awesome as Inception happened. M. Nigh Shyamalan's name came on screen and everyone instantly let out a sigh of disappointment and booed. The theater then broke into a collective laugh attack at the event. It was one of the funniest things I had ever seen, and apparently it wasn't just my theater. Everyone I know that has seen Inception had the same experience when this trailer was showing. Just curious if anyone else had this same reaction in their theaters.

And for those who haven't seen it, here's the youtube link to the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aINOilb_Kzc

I still have a little faith in M. Night. VERY LITTLE, but its there. He is very creative, but his ideas are just too weird. However, I LOVED sixth sense, as did tons of other people. I'll wait for this ones reviews, but this seems a little better than his other ideas already.

Sorry for the double post, but this is a different point entirely!

Requium for a Dream . WOW! What a film. The premise was amazing and felt real. Acting was done well by everyone and Ellen Burstyn was absolutley amazing. This film should be shown in health classes despite its graphic content, it is a disturbing look into what drugs do and is compelling and beautiful in an eerily artistic way! 10/10... Absolutely stunning! The most dark, disrurbing, yet completely life changing film I have ever seen. Watch this movie and be ready for wat it will do to you emotionally. WOW! Awesome film!

^Take it from someone who's been there, that movie is AWESOME. Made me a bit uncomfortable, but that's what a good movie does. I definitely think it is a MUST SEE for people. Definitely not a "feel good" film, but is a completely amazing movie.

^Oh for sure, I'm actually very interested in the movie despite the general reaction to the trailer. I think it was more of a disappointment that his name is now a marketing ploy that was so irritating to the audience. But the movie actually looks like it has a lot going for it. And M. Night isn't directing it, so that's definitely a plus. He is just one of the writers. So hopefully it won't have some 'twist' that makes it feel like every other one of his movies. As long as he stays away from anything on the levels of The Happening and Lady in the Water, I'm fine with him still being in the business, but sometimes I feel he just needs to come back down off of his ego trip that he is most certainly on.

This is a really interesting article on "Inception". I don't agree with it all, but I definitely see the themes of creating the dream world and making a film.

Very nice write-up ... I don't agree with all of it either, but it certainly is interesting.

One part I disagreed with was the hotel room. I figured the hotel room just had two sides to it, the side Cobb was on was the living room side and if you went around you would end up in the bedroom side (where Mal was). I kept wondering why he didn't run over to her.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/celebritology/2010/07/guillermo_del_toro_to_take_on.html

I am excited for this! A Haunted Mansion film that hopefully won't suck!

EDIT- Here is another press release from Comic-Con:

SAN DIEGO, Calif. – July 22, 2010 –Guillermo del Toro surprised the 6,500 fans gathered today at Comic-Con with the announcement that he is currently developing a new film for The Walt Disney Studios based on the classic Disney theme park attraction, The Haunted Mansion.

“Dark imagery is an integral part of the Walt Disney legacy. After all, Disney himself was the father of some really chilling moments and characters - think Chernabog from Fantasia or Maleficent as the Dragon or the Evil Queen in Snow White,” said del Toro. “I couldn't be more excited to be a part of my own adaptation of the original theme park attraction Walt envisioned and that remains- for me- the most desirable piece of real estate in the whole world!"

“Millions of people from around the world visit The Haunted Mansion each year, but no one has ever had a tour guide like Guillermo del Toro,” said Rich Ross, Chairman of The Walt Disney Studios. “Guillermo is one of the most gifted and innovative filmmakers working today and he is going to take audiences on a visually-thrilling journey like they’ve never experienced before.”

Edited by BigDipper 80

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/celebritology/2010/07/guillermo_del_toro_to_take_on.html

I am excited for this! A Haunted Mansion film that hopefully won't suck!

I'm surprised that Disney's label is going to be on this movie. I thought that these types of projects would go to Touchstone, Disney's studio that creates movies that are more adult-oriented than kid-oriented.

I'm assuming that Disney figured that Pirates did just fine as a 'grown-up' film under the Disney label, they'd give it a shot with this film. Or they figured that the ride was so associated with the Disney parks that there would be no reason to release the film through Touchstone because of that relation. Of course, I could just be spewing nonsense, because I'm not a Disney exec...

Bought the DVD of 'Dot and her Amazing Adventures' from JB HI-FI! Dot is a little girl from the Australian bush. She is the star of 9 feature films from the 1980s which take her on a magical series of adventures from riding in the pouch of a kangaroo to orbiting into space! Dot loves to help those in need and the friends she makes along the way include a bunny, koala, mosquito, kangaroo, whale, and many, many more!

I'm pretty sure I've been incepted by Christopher Nolan...because all I have been able to think about recently is his latest masterpiece: Inception.

I saw the film for the second time tonight, along with a friend. Both of us agreed that it is one of the best movies we have ever seen. The complex plot, visuals, action, and score...well, Inception is a total package, IMO, and I wouldn't hesitate to dish out the dough to watch it a third time (especially in IMAX).

What are your thoughts on Inception?

Saw Inception over the weekend. A very solid film. I have a few nitpicky gripes but it's definitely one of the best I've seen this year. I was however, suprised at how much gunplay there was in it though. I'm getting kind of tired of that. Why is it that in 90% of movies, whenever the protagonists needs an obstacle, they just throw in a bunch of gunmen and then have an excessively long shootout? It it too much to ask for something more clever? Especially in a film as "thoughtful" as Inception.

Of course this is also coming from someone who can't wait to see The Expendables on opening night. I'm complex like that.