TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

^^Definitely the way it should be. It works for Pixar to only release a movie every year or sometimes more, and that's because EVERY movie they make is quality. Some more so than others obviously (most people aren't fans of Cars really, but I personally love it) and I think audiences would be more than happy to wait a little bit longer for each animated movie if it ended up being Pixar/How To Train Your Dragon quality. That was the best movie I've seen this year so far other than Avatar and am excited for it to come out on Blu Ray so I can see it again.

Today, after a spontaneous spur of events, I saw Toy Story 3.

Rather dark and mature for a G-rated movie, but still brilliant, hilarious, and a genuinely satisfying way to finish off the trilogy. I agree that it wasn't quite as epic as the first two, and the character development isn't as top-notch, but it's still very enjoyable the whole way through. And the short before it, that was probably the most amazing thing I've ever seen.

9/10

I say Toy Story 3 last night, and it was really good. It is not often that the last movie in a trilogy is the best, but I think this may be the case here. Toy Story 3 is currently my favorite Pixar movie, although I haven't seen a couple of them yet. I'm really surprised that the movie was only rated G because a few scenes seemed like they would be too intense for kids under 6 (especially toward the end of the film).

9/10, best movie I've seen so far this year

^^^ Agreed "How to Train Your Dragon" was very good but I'm just saying Pixar has made better movies, because they take their time on them. Dreamworks releases at least 2-3 movies a year. Their quality isn't as good, for example "Shrek 3" wasn't that good. I don't think Dreamwork's sequels match to Pixar's, even though Pixar has one set and Dreamworks has 2 sets of sequels. And Pixar has Disney under their belt so that doesn't hurt either.

Toy Story 3

Probably the best way to end the trilogy. The pacing and humor in the movie is great, lots of dark "sh*t got real" moments all over the place, and a manly tears ending.

5/5

Also, on the topic of Pixar and Dreamworks, pic related. Hosted on imageshack since its too big;

I don't think Dreamwork's sequels match to Pixar's, even though Pixar has one set and Dreamworks has 2 sets of sequels.

Quite the true statement, but Pixar is releasing a sequel to Cars next year. I'm actually quite nervous for this one, because Cars was by far their worst movie (not that I'm saying the movie was bad, it just wasn't Pixar's best). I'm keeping my fingers crossed and spirits hopeful.

Anyways, onto some movies I've seen.

Toy Story 3 - Pretty much everything everyone else has already said. Even the manly tears. 10/10

Zombieland - I finally got the chance to see the whole thing yesterday, and oh my gosh, it was awesome! Who would've thought such an innocent twelve-year-old would be so talented with a gun? I will say, though, that as much of a horror-comedy as everyone made it out to be, I was expecting much more laughs than what I got out of it. I dunno, maybe it was just my preconceptions of the movie based on what other people had said. Nonetheless, it was a great, blood-soaked, zombielicious, Bill Murray-killing movie! 9/10

Next on the To-See List: Inception, Despicable Me

Also, has anybody seen the trailer for the new J.J. Abrams project, Super 8? If so, what are your thoughts?

I don't think Dreamwork's sequels match to Pixar's, even though Pixar has one set and Dreamworks has 2 sets of sequels.

Quite the true statement, but Pixar is releasing a sequel to Cars next year. I'm actually quite nervous for this one, because Cars was by far their worst movie (not that I'm saying the movie was bad, it just wasn't Pixar's best). I'm keeping my fingers crossed and spirits hopeful.

they're already working on Monsters Inc. 2, also.

I got dragged along to Grown Ups last weekend.

Starring Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Rob Schneider, David Spade & Chris Rock, how could it not be good?

A. Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Rob Schneider, David Spade & Chris Rock.

Salma Hayek is hot though, almost made it worthwile.

Score = 1.5/5.0 (includes 1 bonus point for involving a waterpark)

Finally got to see Toy Story 3. If Pixar movies are the only that come out of Hollywood, the world will be a better place. If you didn't have tears in your eyes for the last five minutes of the movie, you are not a human being.

Usually people can't wait to get out a theater after a screening, but Sunday night after the movie was over, about the 40 people in the theater not one person walked out until all the credits rolled and the screen went dark. That's the best review any movie can get.

^I think that most of the emotion comes from the realization that childhood is over for Andy and for the majority of the audience members. People in their late teens and early twenties seem to be hit the hardest by the end due to being similarly aged to Andy. We grew up with him basically and seeing him move on past his childhood reminds us how we've all moved on. This doesn't make everyone cry, but I know it almost made me cry (I was there with my two guy friends and didn't want to seem like the wussy gay guy crying at a movie, only to find out they both cried so all that effort to not cry was for nothing lol). The trilogy being over is also a nice metaphor for childhood being over and for the need to move on and to become an adult. I think this is why it gets to so many people. It is a very happy ending yes, as the toys got to go to a new, loving owner, which was fantastic, but what that means is what gets to most people.

I was actually closer to crying during the incinerator scene. When Jessie touched Bullseye's foot and they realize that there is no point in fighting anymore was extremely sad. It was a nice touch to see them all holding hands and even Woody realizing that fighting to get out of an impossible situation was not as good as joining hands with his best friends and being destroyed together. I'm very happy they were saved (obviously) but that scene was also very emotional. The movie was definitely a sad movie, but at the same time an extremely happy one when it ended. A great way to finish off the trilogy. I'd give it a 9.5/10.

In order to get out of the heat (no central air in our house) took the kids to see Despicable Me today.

I have to say, I ABSOLUTELY loved it.

Is it as good as any of the Pixar movies? Absolutely not. But when going into a non-Pixar movie you have to have a different mentality or you are going to be dissapointed. Interesting that Universal used another studio on this film (Illumination Entertainment) which I feel has now surpassed all of the recent Dreamworks movies with this movie (although I will admit I haven't seen Dragons). This is the best Non-Pixar animated movie since the original Shrek. It's funny, heart-felt, and absolutely friggin' hilarious.

I'll be interested to see what this studio comes up with next.

^You're opinion is on par with all other reviews I've seen of it. I want to see it a lot more now that I've heard such great things about it from friends and critics.

I went to the midnight premiere of Inception last night and have to say that it is one of the best movies I've ever seen. It plays with the mind enough to make it interesting on many different levels and offers a fantastic storyline supported by amazing acting and beautiful special FX. Everything about the movie was amazing (well maybe minus one thing, but I'm not going to say what since it would ruin a lot. People that have seen it will know what I'm talking about). I don't know how this movie will do publicly though. It seemed like a good portion of the audience wasn't following the story. If you aren't completely void of the ability to pay attention, it's not a difficult task to pay attention, but I feel that's a big thing to ask of the general public. But this doesn't really matter to me since I loved it and think all of you should go see it as soon as possible.

^I feel exactly the same way. There was just so much going on, it was impossible to take everything in. The rotating hallway/hotel room scene was by far one of the coolest action scenes ever. I would love to see how they filmed that scene. And coming from an architecture background, the last level had some pretty awesome architecture. Definitely one of the best visual movies in a while.

Just saw Inception, and I have to agree that it is a fantastic movie in all senses. What I found really unique was how they took a potential pitfall in how the technology behind getting into people's dreams work and dodging it by totally avoiding that as a whole. It lets you suspend your disbelief just enough for the movie to seem realistic.

Edit: ^Just found a little feature that has a brief shot of the rotating hallway set.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8kCPCx5JXE

God, I want to see Inception, I've been hearing almost completely positive things about it, and it just sounds amazing.

But today, I saw Despicable Me with a bunch of friends. And it took me totally by surprise.

It's a pretty fantastic family movie, with a good vibe to the whole thing, and it's actually really funny. The minions are just so adorable, as are the three little girls. Don't pass this movie off as a generic "bad guy becoming good" kind of movie, I highly recommend you see it.