TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

I can't find anything completely legitamite in terms of sources, but it seems Kill Bill Volume 3 is currently filming. Amazingly, this will probably work even though Carodine is dead, and Elle is blind, but living. HELL YEAH!! More Tarantino goodness.

I thought Alice in Wonderland was entertaining enough (much better than Spielberg's wretched Hook, which had a similar premise). But turning Alice into some sort of "action hero" goes against the grain. After all, she's a character to whom things happen and she just reacts (when you get down to it, the original story is just Alice dealing with crazy, annoying people).

What saves this movie is the cast, and it is a better flick than Burton's Planet of the Apes. But not Burton's best by a long shot.

Edited by cfc

Who will win the weekend? Tim Burton's Powerhouse "Alice in Wonderland?" Or will it be either of the newcomers, Matt Damon's "Green Zone" or Robert Pattinson's "Remember Me?"

My vote is "Alice in Wonderland" because it has the IMAX and 3D Digital Showings backing it up. Word of mouth is also spreading for "Alice."

The Robert Pattinson Movie, as it is also known as, will pull a strong showing but not show up against "Alice."

"Green Zone" will stumble and fall.

"Alice in Wonderland" - $78 million

"Robert Patt... I Mean "Remember Me" - $54 million

"Green Zone" - $34 million

"Shutter Island" - $28 million

"Brooklyn's Finest" - $18 million

"Avatar" falls out of the top five for the first time will only $14million

I've watched a few movies yesterday that I've been dying to see...all were 2009 releases....that simply slipped my mine until yesterday.

The Collector (2009): 9/10

Extremely weird horror flick about a guy who "collects people" and kills those he don't want. He keeps the collected person chained in a tattered red chest/trunk to lure other victims to him. I have to say that I really enjoyed this movie...especially the booby trap scenes (He bobby trapped the entire house so the victims would either have a hell of a time escaping (most likely in extreme pain) or die trying...I mean the bobby traps, though extremely simple, I thought were a bit more clever than some of the ones used in the "Saw Series". Decent acting but typical air-head people that you often see in these modern horror flicks ( you know, the classic scene where the "hero" is trying to save the victims, tells them what to do to keep alive...they do the opposite and well...you know the rest)...awesome ending though!

The Stepfather (2009): 7/10

Decent enough flick....the thiller factor was somewhere between "Domestic Disturbance (2001) & Disturbia (2007)...all decent movies in their own right but lacking thrills or quick scares. I did enjoy the movie because of the fact that it was the stepfather who was the killer...which to me makes it a bit more scary somehow.

Ninja Assassin (2009): 8/10

Awesome fight scenes, boring back story, lots of blood...You can really tell during "severed limbs" scene that it was CGI (I mean, of course it's CGI...but the .y could have done a better job of masking it)...blood spurts were way overdone....uber unrealistic. I really enjoyed the middle of the movie as thats where most of the action lies...the end fight is really cool as well.

^ Hook is amazing!!! You are the first person I've ever heard to not like that movie.

I know many who hate it, and a few who like it. So, I guess you're one of "the few, the proud."

Edited by cfc

So, The Crazies, about a 7.5/10. Nice job on the gore factor, but the acting suffered. However, the infected zombie people did a nice job throughout. We missed the opening seen, in the previews where there's a crazy guy walking onto a baseball field, but we learned what happened from the rest of the movie. Definitely gets you thinking about our government and what they're up to...

I watched the Hurt L o c k e r this weekend. While is was definitely a great movie, it didn't live up to all the hype in my opinion. I actually thought Inglorious Basterds was better.

Oh and I too hate Hook.

Edit: Dangit tried to beat the script by spacing out L**ker, but that didn't work. Well played Admin, Well played.

Watched two very different movies on our plane ride last night. Carriers and Precious.

I had never even heard of Carriers which I thought was odd as it's totally my kind of movie (end of the world plague disaster movie) and had some solid B+ stars in it! I really liked it as cheesy and plot hole filled as it was. Really makes you think and hit hard on the emotional nerves.

Precious, well, what can you say, it's an amazing movie about a terrible, awful life and situation. It was somewhat uplifting in a way, but just very depressing at the same time.

Watched a couple of ho-hum movies this weekend and a couple of good ones that I had seen many times before.

Planet 51: What I saw of it was bad. What I missed due to taking a nap after my 10k was apparently also bad (according to the wife and kids). Rent it only if you must but I'd wait for TV (and even then, only if you must). Thank God it was a Netflix rental.

Ponyo: Those Japanese are sure wacky. It was also odd hearing Betty White's voice come out of a Japanese characters mouth. Huh? The animation was great however. This one is worth the (Netflix) rental if you like these kinds of movies. Otherwise I'd wait for TV. I will say though that the littlest Jonas and the littlest Cyrus were not as annoying (at least in voice form) as their older and MUCH more annoying siblings.

Lost Boys: One of my all-time favorites. Looks good on Blu Ray.

Terminator: The boy had never seen it, also looks good on Blu Ray.

Watched two very different movies on our plane ride last night. Carriers and Precious.

I had never even heard of Carriers which I thought was odd as it's totally my kind of movie (end of the world plague disaster movie) and had some solid B+ stars in it! I really liked it as cheesy and plot hole filled as it was. Really makes you think and hit hard on the emotional nerves.

Precious, well, what can you say, it's an amazing movie about a terrible, awful life and situation. It was somewhat uplifting in a way, but just very depressing at the same time.

I have never heard of something like Precious being shown on a plane. It is a great film, and I am planning on seeing it soon, as I do all the best picture nominees, but its not exactly family friendly, which most plane movies seem to be.

^Kate Winslet in the Titanic nude painting scene made that movie worth seeing.

Survival Of The Dead - I'm a big Romero fan, but this still didn't live up to the first 3 dead films, very interesting and at times suspenseful but still lacking the magic of Night, Dawn & Day.

Up In The Air - I really liked this and I could relate as a fanatical accumalator of frequent flyer point and commtment phobe. Jason Reitman is bad 3 from 3 for me so far, he has a great feel for his material.

Jennifer's Body - second time around, I liked this even more, and not for the obvious reasons, so many interesting themes and an original story.

The last movie I saw was Alice in Wonderland. I saw it in 3d, and liked it so much so I saw it in IMAX 3d. But I really like everything by Tim Burton. Next thing I'll probably go see is How To Train Your Dragon or Clash Of The Titans, in 3d. I like to keep up with movies but I'm behind right now...

Being There

A strange movie about an adult who has spent all his life at home watching TV. When his father dies, he must go out into the world where he is taken in by an elderly man, and through a misunderstanding, becomes a financial expert. It's a pretty funny movie that, while not at the top of my list, I might still watch if it were ever on TV.

Lola Rennt(Run Lola Run)

A German movie that follows the main character, Lola, around as she tries to come up with enough money to prevent her boyfriend from being killed. The film consists of three of her attempts, with each having a different outcome. The civilians she encounters along the way have their futures shown in a photo form, with their futures changing each story based on what Lola does when they encounter one another. A fun movie to watch, and my only real complaint about it is that it is really short at 76 minutes.

I just saw How To Train Your Dragon in 3-D today. I enjoyed it, it was a cool little movie. We (my dad and I) missed the beginning because of slow concession stand operations. The animations in the movie were amazing, the ocean looked real and there was a scene with ash falling from the sky and it looked real (unlike Avatar's 3-D which totally sucked). I think the worst parts to the movie were that A) it was quite predictable (though that does come with a kids' movie) and B) it was slightly preachy.