TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

I understand what you guys are saying, but can you really tell if the movie will be good or not from a 2 minute "behind the scenes" video.

I would rather base my predictions on past attempts at horror remakes.

. Michael bay is involved so not only will it suck... It will also have a helicopter fly into the sunset. Also a giant robot will be anatically correct for no real reason.

• 2 weeks later...

Up in the Air- ****

I liked the plot, the acting was very believable but loses points for being one of those movies with "hidden messages". I did like the message it sent however. I think it shows very well how one has to shed a personal life to suceed in the professional world, and those who keep the attachments of family and personal contact are "weighed down" and get cut loose.

In the last few weeks I have seen The Princess and the Frog which will remain as an additional Disney classic, Sherloch Holmes, which without Robert Downey Jr. would sunk like well.... a ship.

And I did see a little movie starring a few 9 foot tall bule aliens...

See it in 2D, see it in IMAX 3D. To my account, it is probably one of the greatest films of the decade.

Oscar nominees are out!

Best Picture

The Blind Side

District 9

An Education

The Hurt Locker

Inglorious Basterds

Precious: Based on the novel 'Push' by Sapphire

A Serious Man

Up

Up In The Air

Best Actor

Jeff Bridges - Crazy Heart

George Clooney - Up In The Air

Colin Firth - A Single Man

Morgan Freeman - Invictus

Jeremy Renner - The Hurt Locker

Best Actress

Sandra Bullock - The Blind Side

Helen Mirren - The Last Station

Carey Mulligan - An Education

Gabourey Sidibe - Precious: Based on the novel 'Push' by Sapphire

Meryl Streep - Julie and Julia

For the rest of the nominees, go here!

I'm pulling for District 9 for Best Picture, but I know it won't win it. Before these Oscars roll around, I've got to watch all the other nominees for Best Picture. Who do you think should win for which categories?

---Brent

I might be very late to this party, but have you guys seen this 70 Minute Review of Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace?

This is hands down the best analysis about this mess of a film. It is 100% on-point and backs up its assertions with logical proof. As well it is hysterical! Do yourself a BIG favor and watch this whole thing. Yeah I know it's a 70 minute commitment, but it's way better than any movie I've watched in the last two months.

If you like it as much as I did, then you'll also enjoy the film maker's recent review of Avatar Granted, the Avatar review is nowhere near as long (or as slick) as the Star Wars one, but it fits the bill if you are left wanting more (as I was) after watching his first review.

So again, do yourself a favor and watch this one. I was in stitches laughing and felt vindicated because someone finally expressed logically and irrefutably everything I thought was wrong with the movie too. I'd love to hear some other opinions on this one so post em if you've got em.

What's wrong with your face?

Could a chick flick bump Avatar off its box office top spot??

If Friday's numbers are any reflection of the days to come, YES!

Dear John, starring Amanda Seyfried and Channing Tatum opened to an impressive $13.8 million on Friday night, while Avatar only earned a little over $6 million!

Seems like the seven-week #1 streak is coming to a close!

I saw Avatar, in IMAX 3D, on Wednesday, and thought it was alright. I didn't think the live-action and mocap actors gelled together enough for me to believe them (although I think, as the graphics technology continues to improve, this will hopefully stop being a problem..but right now, to me, it looks like stop-motion monsters in a live-action film, and not the awesome Jason & the Argonauts skeletons, more the Terminator), and I was really quite disappointed with the script. The final battle was pretty good, but I was exhausted by the time we got to it.

I saw The Princess and the Frog last night, and was pretty much blown away. The animation was great, and at times, actually hilarious (the first appearance of adult Charlotte, in particular). I loved the music, and I think Ray must be one of the greatest side-characters ever. I'm probably going to see it again, very soon.

Could a chick flick bump Avatar off its box office top spot??

Sadly it did. Dear John with 32 million and Avatar with 23 million. I didn't think that the movie would had been knocked down this weekend. I was expection next with Valentine's Day Weekend with Wolfman and Valentine's Day

I saw Dear John last night. I thought it was dissapointing actually. It was so UNREALISTIC. The ONLY reason I watched it was because of Channing. My friends cried alot and liked it. I didn't cry at all and didn't like it. But no one liked the ending.

We are watching the original Superman on Blu Ray right now. The transfer is really good, which is surprising since it only cost about $6 on Amazon.

Speaking of Superman, I saw this article today:

http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/its-a-bird-its-a-plane-its-chris-nolan-hell-mentor-superman-3-0-while-preparing-3rd-batman/

"Warner Bros is trying to ready its DC Comics stalwart Superman to soar again on the Big Screen, and the studio has turned to Chris Nolan to mentor development of the movie. Our insiders say that the brains behind rebooted Batman has been asked to play a "godfather" role and ensure The Man Of Steel gets off the ground after a 3 1/2-year hiatus. Nolan's leadership of the project can set it in the right direction with the critics and the fans, not to mention at the box office."

I just caught "Open Water 2" on IFC.

I somewhat liked the original Open Water for it's minimalistic story. It was pretty frightening for what all it had to work with. Now Open Water 2 was everything I liked about the first on steroids. It was a very intense movie with some incredible acting. The movie also reaffirmed my opinion that I HATE the ocean. I'd say it's worth a look.

8.5/10

I've seen Avatar twice, in 2D and IMAX 3D, and both times I thought it was amazing, best movie I've ever seen! I guess the story isn't very original, but that didn't keep me from enjoying the movie. IMAX and 3D definitely add a lot to the movie, and I also liked that the 3D wasn't too gimicky - they didn't have very many things shooting out of the screen straight at you - it just felt more like you were in the movie.

I saw The Princess and the Frog last night, and was pretty much blown away. The animation was great, and at times, actually hilarious (the first appearance of adult Charlotte, in particular). I loved the music, and I think Ray must be one of the greatest side-characters ever. I'm probably going to see it again, very soon.

Quoted for truth, that movie was great.

But you forgot to mention Dr. Facilier, who is pretty much the greatest Disney villian since Maleficent.

I feel so out of touch with my movie roots for not seeing the original Frankenstein sooner. I just caught it on TV last night, and I am a huge oldies fan so It made my day. I already knew before hand that Boris Karloff played the monster, and that this role was one of the best throughout his career, but I really didn't know it would be this amazing.

Quoted for truth, that movie was great.

But you forgot to mention Dr. Facilier, who is pretty much the greatest Disney villian since Maleficent.

Having seen it twice since that post, I have to humbly apologise for forgetting Facilier's fantasticness. His animation throughout Friends on the Other Side (and that song in general) is brilliant - and they also did a great job of making us sympathise with him a bit, as he was pulled into the Other Side.

Also, have to give respect to Randy Newman's orchestral score - I reckon the final 10 minutes are scored almost as well as Beauty and the Beast's, particularly the transformation.