TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

• 2 weeks later...

Ok just got home from seeing Avatar, let get this out of the way first Cameron has made a stunning, beautiful, at times thrilling film. It works wonderful well in 3D, as the effects are used to put you into the film. The opening moments on the space ship is jaw droppingly real..

But here comes the but, I am not sure if James has just remade his least seen film..

Which would be the Abyss, at times I thought i was rewatching that film.

Away We Go

A pretty funny and deep comedy about Jim from The Office and Maya Rudolph going across country to find godparents for their soon-to-be-born child. Lots of celebrity cameos and starts off light hearted in the beginning but toward the end it gets deeper. Well-done movie. 8/10

Forgotten Silver

Peter Jackson's greatest film ever about the lost works of New Zealand film pioneer Colin McKenzie. Hard to believe this guy can change history. 10/10 ALSO SPOILERS:spoiler its a mockumentary and it fooled me the first time around, Mckenzie isn't real.

Taken

This movie is awesome with a side of awesomesauce. Liam Neeson could probably take out the entire country of France in probably one of the better action films of the decade. 8.5/10

The Road - 8/10

The Road can be summed up simply as being one of the most depressing movies of the decade. I seem to pick those style of films as they can go a route different from most 'Hollywood' films and the Road does not disappoint.

Set in a post-disaster world a father and son simply try to survive from the evils that now surround them which includes thieves and cannibals.

The movie is closely adapted to the book with only a few of the very graphic elements removed. I read the book about two weeks before seeing the movie and even knowing the ending and what to expect I had a serious weap at the end.

Time of the Wolf handles the disaster method in a less tragic way but the Road is still powerful.

Afterschool 6/10

The tragedy of youtube. After a student catches two students dying from a drug overdose on camera the school in which the events occur fins it difficult to accpet.

Kind of slow and not as empotional as it could of been for the subject matter. Almost reminded me of a Larry Clark film. See Elephant for something more attached to the material.

^Agree fully. I saw it opening night at midnight and was in awe when it was over. The CGI is basically flawless and is indistinguishable from the real actors. The environments were beautifully designed and the characters were extremely diverse and deep. It was easy to establish a connection to the main characters. I honestly can't think of a single thing that I didn't like about the movie. Not only was the story extremely well done, but the visual stimulation is like nothing I've ever seen before. Everyone needs to go see this movie as soon as possible. 9.5/10

I guess like every actor there are one or two missteps. I am glad to see his work over the next few years is a return to indeprendents. Nothing can match his work in Manic.

Jesse Eisenberg is another actor where most of his works are great. Sure some may be critical of his 3 seconds in the Village and His star in Cursed but he WAS Cursed. Jesse made it a fun bad movie. I laugh everytime he says

"You wan't to know what's great about being a fairy?"

"You get to fly"

^^^ I think Avatar might work on Blu Ray, but I can bet it will suck on regular DVD.

From people I've talked to who have seen the non-3D version it's still good.

Also, I don't get the complaints about the story. Sure it's no Citizen Kane or The Godfather, (for the record, I thought Citizen Kane was boring), but honestly I thought it was fine. Better than most stories for similar movies over the past few years.

There were some cliche' characters (the bad-guy general, the money-grubbing corporate guy) but honestly, that didn't bother me much.

^I didn't see it in 3D. I get a headache after about five minutes of watching a 3D film. I'm not sure why, but my eyes and 3D just don't get along. But it was still awesome.

I saw it twice this weekend, and it was better the second time around. I have absolutely no problem with any of the characters or the story in general. Sure some of the characters are cliches, but they weren't so over the top that it detracted at all from the story. It's one of my favorite movies and I'm pretty sure it's going to stay up in my top five for a while. I'm excited for it to come out on bluray so I can watch it whenever I want (with proper HD and surround sound that is, it is necessary for this style of movie).

Just saw (in the same day, we have no life):

Princess and the Frog - Good, but not great. Although the stereotypes were awesome!

The Blindside - Liked it a lot. Pretty amazing story, but a little too early to be a movie.

Into the Wild - Didn't like it. One of those, if you don't like it your not intellectual enough to understand it movie. Oh well, that's why I like roller coasters.

^^Lol, I watched The Ugly Truth last week and we all had the exact same question when the sex scene came on. Both women in our group laughed at how ridiculous this was, especially considering the rating of the movie. There was no need to attempt to gloss over what actually happens, just use a sheet. But apparently using a sheet to cover up isn't acceptable anymore.

Also, I don't get the complaints about the story. Sure it's no Citizen Kane or The Godfather, (for the record, I thought Citizen Kane was boring), but honestly I thought it was fine. Better than most stories for similar movies over the past few years.

There were some cliche' characters (the bad-guy general, the money-grubbing corporate guy) but honestly, that didn't bother me much.

I couldn't agree more.

...I went to see Avatar in IMAX 3-D today and was completely blown away by the effects. While I wouldn't put it ahead of Star Trek as my favorite of 2009, it definitely deserves to be in my top 3.

It's been awhile now, but I'd say 2012 was the best action film I've ever seen. Critics skinned it, but I think its decent.

My dad refuses to spend money on more theater tickets, so I can only wait until it goes to secondaries.

One question though, as this is my first post and this question always bugs me. Are there any necro rules? I've been trying to find some sort of Codes of Conduct and I'm lost.

Just got back from seeing "Indiana Holmes vs. Lord Valdemort" (also known as Sherlock Holmes). It's an entertaining action flick, and Robert Downey is amusing--but he ain't Sherlock Holmes. The thing is, they could've taken this same story and done it in a more "traditional Holmes" way and it would've worked--they didn't need all the ridiculous action scenes where characters routinely break the laws of physics.