TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

District Nine does not look to good to me atleast. Not a big fan of Cloverfield type movies.

By "Cloverfield type movies" do you mean the way it's shot? Because District 9 isn't like Cloverfield at all. There are some 'shaky cam' moments, but they're done really well and are only used mainly in the beginning of the film as 'breaking news reports' and things like that.

I saw District 9 last night and it was fantastic. The plot was fantastically done and the political statement about the treatment of minorities in that area of the world was very powerful. This is really the only movie I can think of that the aliens in an alien movie are really the good guys. The humans in the movie were awful and really made me lose faith in humanity and the manner in which it was done really made you feel an emotional attachment to the prawns...and the action was awesome lol. The balance of incredible special effects, action, and deeper meaning really lend to an awesome movie. Go see it now. 9/10.

Yeah the violence is pretty gruesome. Like ^ said, one of the alien weapons basically causes the humans to liquify and explode. They didn't hold back either on the very graphic violence towards the prawns. The humans are very brutal towards them and the movie conveys this injustice very well.

I must say District 9 was amazing, but now I have seen Inglourious Basterds and I am truly not sure which one is the best movie of 2009...they are both INCREDIBLE. Its awesome that this year's two best movies came out within 1 week of each other.

GO SEE BOTH OF THEM NOW IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY!!!

Inglorious Basterds proves that Tarantino is still one of the best directors in Hollywood. The film is so flaw free and Tarantino's script was so brilliant that the movie had a round of applause before ending. I want to say though, if you thought District 9 was extremely violent, these basterds can do a lot worse to body than a gun could ever do. 8.5/10

Also, Eli Roth as the bear jew kicked all ass!

District 9 sucked for me. Too much useless boring crap.

Useless boring crap like intriuging storyline, deep and biting social commentary, excellent character development, amazing effects, and a fantastic human element interwoven into a sci-fi movie (which is VERY difficult to pull off)?

Yes, all that stuff is incredibly boring.

^Lol, thank you for that.

He's not the first person I've heard have this opinion. The problem is that some people went in expecting a pointless action movie, cough*Transformers*cough, and were disappointed when the movie became extremely political and actually responded to real life instabilities and racism. Some people just don't care for these things and only want action (which this movie had plenty of, and awesome action at that). It's sad because the rest of the movie is fantastic and pulls it off in a genre that is typically filled with meaningless crap.

^ Yeah, it's probably a lot like the parents in the theater with us who brought their two sons with them. Both were around 7-8 years old (sigh). They probably saw the trailers on tv, and thought, "Hey, it's got a spaceship and aliens in it, so I'm sure it'll be good for the kids, durrrrrr."

Also, I'm actually hoping they don't eventually do a sequel to this. I really like the way the ending was left open to the imagination.

The Hangover

This movie reminds me of something Sacha Baron Cohen would make. It had some very shocking parts in it, however, very funny. I laughed through most of the movie.

Sadly, I think this is one of those movies that 50 percent like, 50 percent hate. Similar to Borat or Bruno.

I do recommend this movie to anyone who wants a great few hours of laughter, but can handle some shocking sexual contents.

7/10

-------------------------------------------------

GI: Joe - Rise of the Cobra

I figured this movie wasn't going to be that great. And have been raised in the military I can say this is one of the most unrealistic movies. (I would put it on par with Iron Eagle)

However, the movie might have been corny and well, not that great, but it wasn't bad. I did find the ending to have dragged on a little to long. But I did think the fighting scenes where pretty good.

5/10

Something About Mary

This could easily be one of the funniest and best comedies I've ever seen. Even though it came out awhile ago, I finally got around to watching it. All I can say is if you love comedies, this movie is a must.

8/10

French Kiss

One thing I love to do is go over to a friends house and let him/her pick out a movie I've never heard and put it on.

Of course she picked a chick flick, however, this one was actually pretty decent. Meg Ryan does a very good job acting IMO, and the humor was very clever.

This movie was just pure fun.

7/10

------------------------------------

I will not ever sit through G-Force. I'm sorry for anyone who had to...

The movie I'm looking forward to the most is the new Alice and Wonderland movie starring Johnny Deep. My only complaint is Danny Elfman not doing the music. (So it seems). IMO, Elfmans music gives Tim Burtons movies the feel that he's famous for.

--James

GI: Joe - Rise of the Cobra

I figured this movie wasn't going to be that great. And have been raised in the military I can say this is one of the most unrealistic movies. (I would put it on par with Iron Eagle)

However, the movie might have been corny and well, not that great, but it wasn't bad. I did find the ending to have dragged on a little to long. But I did think the fighting scenes where pretty good.

5/10

That's about where I'd put the movie too. I basically thought it was nothing but action with a little bit of a story shoved in to give it bare bones cohesiveness.

As a GI Joe comic book reader as a kid, I was really disappointed in the story. They had so much material they could have gone off of. The whole thing was just poorly put together. The casting was great, for the look of the characters, then it all fell apart.

Inglourious Basterds was great. I would put it up there as one of Tarantino's best. Its not as good as Pulp Fiction and Resevoir Dogs IMHO, but it is not far below them.

Brad Pitt was great, as was the guy who play the Jewhunter for the SS. I could see the guy who played the Jewhunter getting a best supporting actor nod.

I really loved the fact this wasn't a pointless, lets go out an brutalize nazis for 2 1/2 hours. The story and plotline was great.