TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

CRASH

I didn't really know what to expect from this movie. We got it from Netflix about 3 weeks ago and we just never got around to watching it. I was going to just send it back, but I'm glad I didn't.

Probably one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. Nothing really extraordinary happens in the movie. It's just that all these people's lives just intersect (or crash) into each other.

Very well done.

4.5 out of 5

That's the only movie I've seen so far that has made me cry. I agree, it was great.

CRASH

I didn't really know what to expect from this movie. We got it from Netflix about 3 weeks ago and we just never got around to watching it. I was going to just send it back, but I'm glad I didn't.

Probably one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. Nothing really extraordinary happens in the movie. It's just that all these people's lives just intersect (or crash) into each other.

Very well done.

4.5 out of 5

The thing that is great about that movie is that it's real. It pulled no punches and dealt with racism in the harsh way it plays out in society. Also, I wanted to smack the living crap out of Sandra Bullock in that movie.

I just got done watching Unleashed: Unrated Version, which releases this Tuesday (along with Kingdom of Heaven, High Tension, Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, Kicking and Screaming and Arrested Development Season Two).

It was a pretty good movie. There were some excellent action sequences and the plot wasn't that bad at all. Unleashed featured the longest action sequence Jet Li has ever done. I'd give it a 4 out of 5.

The Dukes of Hazzard

Yesterday I have seen The Dukes of Hazzard. I really liked the movie! It was so funny and Jessica Simpson was more than hot!

However, as a kid I liked the series so much, and now a few years later was it great to see the General Lee, again!

Link: http://www.dukesofhazzard.com

--Sören

Edited by Hattuchili

50 First Dates

Today I have seen "50 first dates". It was really funny and sad in the same way. The actors were Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore. I can only say watch that movie!

However, at the end was one of the most wonderful songs ever! It was sad and good in the same way! The artist was Israel Kamakawiwo’ole. It is to sad, that he his dead since 1997.

-> Israel Kamakawiwo’ole alias IZ - Somewhere over the rainbow

Here is a link to the song, for everyone, who want to listen that song! I think his voice is uneblievable.

Link: http://www.gessaman.com/history/israel_kamakawiwo_ole_-_somewhere_over_the_rainbow.mp3

--Sören

Me and my two friends saw Serinity last night and I was really suprised how good it was! It's one of the best movies Ive seen all year. It had a really good plot and "River" was completly awsome! I'd definatily get it on DVD when it comes out, and you guys should go see it. Also, "Jarhead" looks like a really good movie. Jamie Foxx was really good in "Ray", and I like war movies...

Colin C

Saw Corpse Bride last night, since my friends and I had a not-going-to-homecoming party , but anyway....

It was really short, but pretty good. I didn't like Nightmare too much(I think I've said this before, but might as well repeat it here ), so I was glad I liked it. It was kind of sad though-well we all thought so-but not like crying sad, which is a good thing. I think this will be the last movie I see for a while though, since all the previews we saw were pretty bad...

Me and my two friends saw Serinity last night and I was really suprised how good it was! It's one of the best movies Ive seen all year. It had a really good plot and "River" was completly awsome! I'd definatily get it on DVD when it comes out, and you guys should go see it. Also, "Jarhead" looks like a really good movie. Jamie Foxx was really good in "Ray", and I like war movies...

Colin C

Unless you dont have it yet, make sure you get the Firefly series on DVD as well. Its also quite good.

Saw "Wallace & Gromit" this afternoon. (where my avatar comes from!)

We giggled in some parts. Most parts.

Loved the open shots with stuff happening all in a scene with other characters involved. Amazing, considering how long it took to make the movie this way (over three years for this film to be created).

We enjoyed it a lot. Certainly a break from HUGE monster action or special effects productions. And Ms.Tim Burton (Helena B.Carter) is definitely having great fun with her part - a possible 'love interest' for Wallace??? Hmmm.

Some of it is "veddy English" and will fly by you very fast, before you 'get it.' But there is lots in it, for all the mature audiences out there, k?

Mmmmmmmcarrotsssssssmmmmm.

I saw Serenity last night and must say that I was very suprised at how good it was. I was sad to hear that they had cancelled the show Firefly before it even finished its first season. In my opinion, Fox screwed up by not advertising this show. I have since purchased the DVD collection of Firefly, and intend on buying the DVD of the movie when its released. This movie needs to be supported because its success will dictate whether or not there will be a sequel.

A History of Violence

Most of the people in the Raleigh theater that I was at were looking for a good way to have some fun on a Friday night. "Ah, that one has 'violence' in the title, it should be entertaining." Or maybe they just saw that it had "that nice young man with the long hair from the hobbit movie", and might be worth seeing.

They never knew what hit them.

I, however, had a secret weapon; a trick up my sleeve. I had seen a little film titled "Naked Lunch". I know David Cronenberg's game; you are searching for two hours of escapism, but what you get is a punch to the stomach, and in the end you leave the cinema scarred for live, yet for some reason wanting to go back and buy another ticket.

Cronenberg brings his A-game with "A History of Violence", and the unsuspecting viewer will be shocked beyond belief at what they see. As the film unfolds, we find ourselves in the ultimate cliched rural small town; a "Pleasantville" style place where everyone knows each other and most people will spend their entire lifetime living in peace in the same house. But as anyone who has seen the trailer, read a synopsis, or probably even read the title of the film knows, one of the residents of the town has a background unlike any of the others. Viggo Mortensen's 'Tom' is that character, and through the duration of the film, we see the transformation that violence sparks in him, and others connected to him.

And as you might expect, Cronenberg is not afraid to show that violence, front and center. The violence in the film was extremely realistic, and the shock that the audience experiences is equal to that of the characters in the film. When a character is killed, it happens fast. In the blink of an eye, it is over, but the characters that remain standing are stunned. They stand frozen on the spot, unable to turn away from the horrifying sight, and the audience's reaction is similar, as the theater falls deadly silent (no pun intended).

While the violence is terrible, and immediately abhorred by both the characters in the film and the audience, some of the characters display an innate attraction to violence. Maria Bello plays Tom's wife Edie, and there are a couple of somewhat disturbing scenes involving her that highlight this. More than once during the film, a violent encounter sparked a sudden burst of laughter throughout the audience, followed immediately by silence, as the effects of the actions seen on screen sank in. The film seems to be making a commentary on violence in the world, and the reactions of the audience confirm the authenticity of the reactions of the characters on screen.

David Cronenberg has managed to direct a film that serves as both a well-paced, immensely entertaining thriller, and a thought provoking character study. Every shot is crafted to perfection, and amazing performances are pulled from most of the actors. Viggo Mortensen has said this is the best film he has ever been in, and I would certainly affirm that it is his best performance. Ed Harris is phenomenal, and puts on one of the best supporting performances of the year. "A History of Violence" is shocking, disturbing, eye-opening, humorous, and engaging, and I certainly will not be surprised if it receives a best picture nod this winter.

4 stars (out of 4)

^It was good and I agree Ed wood was great. I thought the sex scenes where more in your face than the violence.

I also just saw Waiting the day before. If your in the restaurant business like me, It's freaking hilarious, but if your not it might have some slow parts and maybe not that interested.

One part got so bad or gross, it made this old guy 60-70 years old get up and walk out saying this movie is disgusting. I thought it was funny.

I had a double feature last night

Resident Evil

When I saw this in the theaters I was a little disappointed but I have grown to like it. There are obvious flaws in the movie but if you watch it for what it is and not what you think it should be, it's pretty good.

Resident Evil : Apocalypse

While the first movie is suspense and story, this one is all action. Continuing from the lead in at the end of one, RE:A is non stop with action. My favorite aspect of this one is Nemesis, he is so freaking creepy and cool.

Saw "Wallace & Gromit" this afternoon. (where my avatar comes from!)

We giggled in some parts. Most parts.

Loved the open shots with stuff happening all in a scene with other characters involved. Amazing, considering how long it took to make the movie this way (over three years for this film to be created).

We enjoyed it a lot. Certainly a break from HUGE monster action or special effects productions. And Ms.Tim Burton (Helena B.Carter) is definitely having great fun with her part - a possible 'love interest' for Wallace??? Hmmm.

Some of it is "veddy English" and will fly by you very fast, before you 'get it.' But there is lots in it, for all the mature audiences out there, k?

Mmmmmmmcarrotsssssssmmmmm.

Watched it yesterday. Thought it was good, but felt like it was an extended TV episode and not a cinema event like it should on been. Yes lot of jokes to watch out for happening in the background & foreground. Also something’s in it have been done before in Wallace & Gromit. It’s not a bad film at all just could of been better.

Cracking cheese Gromit

Nick “Just my opinion” Collins

I had an odd double feature yesterday:

A History Of Violence - Mary and I went to the movie theater for the first time since July! I thought this movie was excellent, probably one of the best things I've seen this year, though I thought the ending was a bit...odd. I did enjoy the fact that I could not predict the entire plot of the film within the first five minutes, unlike pretty much ever other film. I need to track down the graphic novel. Oh, and based on the previews before the film, we may not return to the theater until 2019...

Alien Vs. Predator - Oh, I knew this would suck before I watched it, but when I saw it on the HBO schedule the other day, I had to record it. Wow, it was stupid. There were so many interesting ideas that they could have used here, but instead we get this two hour pile of nonsense. I was amazed at how bad some of the effects work was. There were plenty of unintentional laughs, though.

dt

Loggerheads

Tonight I had the pleasure of attending a screening of Tim Kirkman's "Loggerheads". Tim is a graduate of NC State, and he was on hand for a Q&A session after the screening, so it was really interesting to get some insight into the film, and of course it is always rare to see someone from this area "make it" in the "business".

As for the film itself, I was very skeptical going in, having been unimpressed by the trailer and synopsis, but I was extremely surprised by how well-crafted "Loggerheads" was. The film is quite slow paced, and driven one hundred percent by its characters, which means even the smallest mistakes stick out, as there is no high style and 'noise' to mask them. It works out very well, though, as the performances were extremely good, and the attention to detail outstanding.

Kirkman weaves together three separate but interconnected stories, all taking place in North Carolina (one in the western mountains of the state, one in the middle of the state, and one in the eastern beaches). The film deals with such issues as homosexuality, religion, and suicide, so a delicate touch is required in making the actions of the characters believable. "Loggerheads" felt more "real" to me than any other film I have seen this year, but it could be the North Carolina locations and characters that made it seem that way. I doubt I would have connected with the film on the same level had it been set in another state, and I am not so sure viewers unfamiliar with North Carolina will fully appreciate some of the film's qualities. If anyone reading this (does anyone actually read this?) sees "Loggerheads", I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on that subject. And I definitely would recommend seeing it. Help a NCSU grad out.

3.5 stars (out of 4)

My favortie movie ever is School of Rock. I love that movie. Another good movie was Napoleon Dynamite. It just isn't one of those movies you can watch over and over agian. I alos thought Daddy Day Care was pretty funny.

Kung Fu Hustle is hilarious also.

One movie I hate is the Ring 2. It had no piont once at all.

--Gaven