TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

4th movie in 3 days.

Doubt.

I was really desapointed. With the 5 Oscars nominations, and my mom telling me it is very very good, I had really high expectations! But no.

I still give it a GOOD 6/10... maybe 6.5

And even though we barely see her in the movie, Viola Davis was FANTASTIC!

Slumdog Millionaire

All I can say... wow. So much better than what I watched earlier today, Hot Rod.

I loved almost everything about this movie: The filming style, bizarre but catchy music, acting, humor, story, everything. It held my attention throughout, which I have trouble with when it comes to many other movies.

I'd give it a huge two thumbs up, 5/5 stars.

God Grew Tired of Us is a documentary about men who left Sudan (due to the war in the 80's, they went on several pilgrimages after) and were transplanted to the US.

THIS IS AN EXCELLENT FILM. It is amazing to see these men cope with living life in a completely different world, they never had running water, electricity, etc. The most powerful story was John's...he seemed to have the best head on his shoulder (he was one of the oldest) and his story will absolutely break your heart and make you thankful for what you have.

You can rent this on netflix...Please, go and see it if you haven't already.

Star Trek 9/10

I was never a big fan of the Star Trek franchise, except for some of the movies, and TNG, but this reboot impressed me, big time. It'll be interesting to see what's in store for the future for the new crew of the Enterprise.

^Speaking of which, I just watched Latter Days with Steve Sandvoss (mmm) and Wes Ramsey. It was predictable in pretty much everything it did, but it was a good film. And I'm pretty sure everyone can relate to Sandvoss' character in one way or another. I found it hard not to become really attached to his character. Doesn't hurt that he's incredibly good looking lol. But that's not why his character is so easy to like. He's a genuinely nice guy in the movie (and from what I've heard in real life also) and his intelligence (cum laude graduate from Harvard) is apparent in this role, which is always a plus with characters in movies. The story was typical, but the way the movie was made really struck me on an emotional level. For this I give it a solid 8/10. [/i]

Latter Days sat in my DVD collection for well over a year before I finally decided to sit down and watch. While it wasn't bad everything just seemed to move WAY to quick and I felt there was no real way to connect to any emotion.

I guess I am nit picking since it wasn't bad but when I compare to other 'love' stories Get Real was a much better example of how a film with this main theme could work in a 1.5 hour span.

I recently watched the film adaptation of Jim Grimsley's Dream Boy and again I felt the same way as I did with Latter Days. I loved the book but the movie simply piled everything on within 2 hours when story-lines which were not as important should of been eliminated to allow development.

^I can definitely see that. Honestly, I thought that Latter Days was almost over when Aaron was being sent home and Christian went to find him in Salt Lake City. Then I realized it was only about half way through and was like, oh, never mind lol. But I still really liked it. It was corny in many ways, but that doesn't really bother me.

I watched Edge of Seventeen the other night, and I liked it also. Doesn't hurt that the main character works at Cedar Point (although the coaster enthusiast in me had to point out all of the things that were visible in the park that weren't actually around in 1984 lol). I can't really relate to the type of person the main character was since I'm a heck of a lot more straight than I am gay, but the character Rod reminded me quite a bit of my first...boyfriend...if you can call him that lol. So I connected with that. And Maggie really reminded me of my good friend Sarah. We had a similar relationship, although I never actually let it go anywhere beyond making out once before I decided to stop lying to myself, so again, I connected with the movie in that way. I'd give it a 7.5/10. The biggest problem I had with it was that the ending, although not even remotely surprising, still felt like it just kind of showed up suddenly. I don't know what else I wanted the movie to do lol, but I wanted something more when it was done. I'd still suggest it to anyone though, as it is a good story (with Cedar Point lol).

I was pleasantly surprised! This was a great movie! I didn't really know what to expect, But I'll never forget the goosebumps I felt at the end of the movie as the Star Trek theme plays and Leonard Nemoy says " Space, the final frontier...." Wow!

Terminator Salvation 5.5/10

We won tickets to a screening that was held last night, the movie was so so. In no way did it hold up to the first and 2nd movies though and they used a CG Arnold which I didn't like. Definitely wouldn't go watch it again. Here's hoping that the ride blows the movie out of the water.

I was pleasantly surprised! This was a great movie! I didn't really know what to expect, But I'll never forget the goosebumps I felt at the end of the movie as the Star Trek theme plays and Leonard Nemoy says " Space, the final frontier...." Wow!

That movie was the first Star Trek film I've ever seen, but those let scenes were so well done, I got the chills also. The whole movie was awesome, it's now one of my favorites. Oh and I gotta admit, I thought all those lens flares were pretty nifty!

I saw Terminator Salvation. I thought it was actually really good. It wasn't as good as Terminator 2 which IMO is the best in the series.

The movie has a vastly different visual style from the first 3 movies. I didn't mind it too much. The only critique I have is that they focused a little too much on the Marcus character, and too less on John Connor. Other than that it was a fun sci-fi summer movie.

8/10

I saw Terminator Salvation. I thought it was actually really good. It wasn't as good as Terminator 2 which IMO is the best in the series.

The movie has a vastly different visual style from the first 3 movies. I didn't mind it too much. The only critique I have is that they focused a little too much on the Marcus character, and too less on John Connor. Other than that it was a fun sci-fi summer movie.

8/10

I felt the same way. I remember reading somewhere that the movie was written to revolve around Marcus and John Connor was a secondary character. When they approached Christan Bale to play Marcus, he told them that he wanted to play John Connor instead and to have the movie re-written so that he has a bigger part.

So, you can blame that one on Christan Bale.

My Bloody Valentine 3-D

7/10

I picked this up today, because I'm a sucker for a DVD that comes with 3-D glasses.

The 3-D obviously isn't as good as it reportedly was in the theatrical release, but it's still pretty decent. Plus, the plot, the kills, and everything else that makes a slasher was enough to keep my interest the whole way through. Definitely give this one a look if you get the chance.

3D.jpg.edbd7a1132f27280d611f8da723f3074.jpg

Just a goofy shot of me with my new glasses on I threw in for kicks.