TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

All the Boys Love Mandy Lane-

All the Boys Love Mandy Lane is another Weinstein Brothers acquired film that will probably never see the light of day in the US.

"A group of high schoolers invite Mandy Lane (Amber Heard), a good girl who became quite hot over the summer, to a weekend party on a secluded ranch. While the festivities rage on, the number of revelers begins to drop quite mysteriously"

It takes a good 35-40 mins before things get rolling. At first the movie really does seem like a teenage romp fest with its nudity and high drug use.. When the movie does kick into gear it is ls loaded with fantastic deaths (not overly gory) and a fantastic ending that made me laugh with how clever it actually was played out.

If you can get to see it I strongly recommend a viewing. It is legally posted on youtube somehow as mandylandmovie as the registrant. Apparently the directors are doing this to fight against it wrongly collecting dust.

8/10

Creepshow 3 - OMG I love both of the first two Creepshow films. The first was actually my first experience at an indoor theater ever since our town had the drive in. The second was equally as good as part 1 proving that Romero, King and Savino make a great team....

Then comes the godawfulness of Creepshow 3. The movie has no ties to any in the former group....

If you have more interest in any of the Creepshows seriously check out the review team of deadpit.com on youtube or the website. They are hilarious and the Creepshow review is GREAT! I laughed until I cried. Their opinions of the pure awfulness that is Creepshow 3 are dead on perfect. The tie in sequence with the creep from the first two movies is replaced by what appears to be the flash animation of a 2 yo!

From imdb.com

"There are five new tales of horror and suspense in this follow-up to George A. Romero & Stephen King's 1982 horror anthology classic. In "Alice", a snotty teenage girl gets her just desserts in the form of a demonic universal television remote. In "The Radio", a security guard is driven to the very brink of madness and eventually murder thanks to a possessed radio. Next up, in "Call Girl" a murdering, cold-blooded prostitute accidentally hooks up with a vampire client. In "The Professor's Wife", a demented professor with a taste for pranks tricks his two best students into believing he's getting married. But there's something rather sinister about his new bride-to-be. Lastly, in "Haunted Dog", a cruel miserly doctor kills a homeless man by purposely giving him a contaminated hotdog - a tale of savage revenge from beyond the grave."

1/10 and it gets the one because of the homeless guy stalking the doctor saying "do you want a hotdog" ... I kid you not

Step Brothers: 8.5/10

I was expecting better from this movie. After I saw Tropic Thunder all of my friends said that this movie was funnier than TT, but I didn't think so. Don't get me wrong it is an amazingly funny movie and I have already seen it 3 times in the past 24 hours. Good movie, go see it.

--Chris

I just saw Eraserhead, and um... wow... This is definately not everyone's cup of tea, but this is for sure one of my new favorite movies. Probably one of the most artistic, insane, and oneself interpretation of a nightmare charisma. Simply fascinating.

Eraserhead: 10/10 (Most likely... I am amazed)

-Justin

An interesting 90's brit movie was on IFC tonight named Afraid of the Dark. I missed the first 10 mins but I was able to get the gist. The flick was very odd and unlike many movies I have ever seen.

If you have patience for a slow and evolving psychological thriller I definitely recommend seeking it out for a view.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc3H35ekEK4

I saw this last week, but it was the last movie I saw.

My Bloody Valentine...... in 3D!

I had no idea the 3D aspect was going to be so cool. The ENTIRE movie was in 3D. Everything jumped right out of the screen. It made you jump out of your seat a bunch with things flying at you. The whole audience was into it and laughing and squirming. Ending was "meh", but for me being a fan of horror movies.... 9/10

Can't WAIT for the new Friday the 13th. That is my favorite horror series.

I just saw Eraserhead, and um... wow... This is definately not everyone's cup of tea, but this is for sure one of my new favorite movies. Probably one of the most artistic, insane, and oneself interpretation of a nightmare charisma. Simply fascinating.

Eraserhead: 10/10 (Most likely... I am amazed)

-Justin

Wow, this is the last movie I thought I would have saw in this forum. I just recently watched this too, and let me tell ya, I thought it was amazing. I honestly had to stop the movie about half way through due to the extreme weirdness. I own it on dvd now, and everyone I know thinks I'm crazy I spent the money to buy it. Just the thought that David Lynch, the director, spent 5 years on it blows my mind.

Now to other movies...

Slumdog Millionaire I give A-

Gran Turino A

Hopefully gonna see The Wrestler soon

And I am sooo stoked about The Watchmen in March, I hope this movie is really great. The graphic novel was superb.

I saw The Wrestler this weekend. It was a great movie. Mickey Rourke definitely deserves the Oscar. He did all his own stunts and he was very believable. The whole story is kind of depressing seeing what his life had become. Marissa Tomei is great also. I'm not 100% sure I liked the ending, but it is kind of growing on me as a great extension to the story.

10/10

Even though TDK was a massive success, Iron Man and Indy only made around $310 million each in around 3,000 theatres over a period of two months.

Not to mention that all three movies budgets were under $200 million. ...$300 million for a movie is just ridiculous IMO. This movie better be a success or else Waterworld will have to step aside.

I LOVE WATERWORLD

I hate that it got such terrible reviews.

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist is out on DVD and that was a fun movie. B+

Donkey Punch - a bizarre but supposedly great horror movie comes out tomorrow in the Philly area Landmark (Ritz) Theaters.

Fanboys - Suppose to be hilarious will be playing at Landmark Theaters in Philadelphia tomorrow.

I didn't see a thread for TV

But two tv shows have caught my attention of late

The United States of Tara - I find the show to be picking up steam and it has become a truly emotional series from Diablo Cody (sp).

Skins Series 1 and 2 are on DVD and Series 3 just premiered in the UK. Series 3 is not as good as 1/2 since they dumped the entire cast from Series 1/2. But it is starting to turn into the same addicted show it was only after 2 episodes.

Last but not least all Dead Like Me fans can look forward to the Dead Like Me: Afterlife film due out on DVD Feb 17th. I look forward to seeing this despite the loss of characters.

In 3D Art 2 for the past couple of days, we've been watching the 2000 film Titan AE. I thought it was pretty freakin' amazing, from its gorgeous visuals, hand-drawn characters, and pretty deep story.

Sure it's supposed to be a family movie, but it's a pretty damn good sci-fi epic. I recommend it.

9/10

I got One Hour Photo at this awesome Pawn Shop that sells movies for $2 each (nice deal eh?). I ended up picking up One Hour Photo, which I had wanted to see for awhile. I loved it. The movie is a very dark, creepy, and psychological thriller with great character study. I really enjoyed it alot; the camera shots, cinematography, characters, (tons of white) colors, and setup reminded me SO much of a Kubrick film. Anyone interested in this kind of stuff should check it out, it's quite intriguing for an independant film as it's made, and Robin Williams delivers a GREAT performance.

One Hour Photo: 8/10

-Justin

^ Nick and Norah was great fun and so much better than the book.

^^ One Hour Photo was also great. Robin Williams is a great dramatic actor and that was proven in What Dreams May Come (even if you hated the movie). 8/10

I ventured to see My Bloody Valentine 3D and found that the 3D was amazing. Of course there were gimmicks but for the most part you were just immersed in the town. There were also noticeable differences to allow it to stand on its own legs. Man that dryer scene was still great in this version.

7/10

While not perfect it definitely was fun. Now I am catching up on Friday the 13th (6th now and the best next to FVJ). After MBV I am actually looking forward to Friday the 13th. Pt 6 9/10 FVJ 9/10

Oh forgot Postal -- So wrong on every level. There were a few great chuckle scenes and if you can get past Uwe Bole being the producer/director I have to say give it a go. Dave Foley is great in it. 6/10

I just saw Coraline in 3D, i thought it was really good. It's definitely one of the best PG mainstream animated films in a while that wasn't made by Disney or Pixar.

It had everything you could want, and it was Henry Sellick and Neil Gaiman, what more could you ask for? In my opinion, I thought it was even better than the book, which was bloody good.

9/10 (10/10 if you see it in 3D, absolutely gorgeous.)

Push on the other hand was rather meh. It was just way too convoluted for its own good. It was like a movie version of Heroes, except even more complicated and full of plot points that ended up going nowhere.

The action scenes were okay, could have been better, should've had more substance and at least twice as many action scenes to make it at least dumb and fun, instead of being the dumb mess it is.

But I have to admit, Dakota Fanning getting drunk and having a potty mouth made my day XD. Not that I have anything against her, she's the reason I went to see it.

4/10

SPOILER: Who else hated that it ended on a cliffhanger? For a cliched mess like this, I would at least some form of closure. Instead we might be treated to a sequel... or more. Please, I'm begging you, don't watch it, buy the dvd, or even rent it. Unless Paul McGuin gets rid of all the dumbass plot points and adds more action, then it might end up fun. We'll see.

Coraline 3D

Wow. I just got back from seeing this, and it was amazing. Not for small kids, but still a great, scary family movie.

The plot was just right, with a steady pace and a great setup. No real loose ends here. The 3D worked beautifully, with very few gimmicks. There was one jump scene where something flies out at you, but everything else just adds the extra dimension, immersing you even more. Plus the animation is so amazing, I had to remind myself constantly that it wasn't CGI.

It was quite creepy for a PG movie, with some dark themes and frightening moments. I strongly recommend it.

Score: 10/10