TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

I saw both Seven Pounds and Yes Man over the weekend. Yes Man wins by far. Jim Carrey is back in his prime. After a few lacklusters in the past couple of years, he has redeemed himself in this film. There were jokes left and right and the entire theater laughed at all of them. Grade: A-. Now onto Seven Pounds. This was one of the not-so great movies that I have seen this year. The beginning and end are pretty good, but the whole hour in the middle is just pure boring. I think this movie could have been better if it had a 90-100 min. running time instead of 125 min. Will Smith has just ended his $100 million winning streak with this one. Grade: C.

I saw Bedtime Stories today. This wasn't actually what I wanted to see today, but we had to see one as a family and the the little kids wanted to see this one. I walked into the movie thinking it would be a crappy movie because I didn't think Adam Sandler could make a decent movie without all of his usual dirty jokes, but it was actually really good and funny. They had a great cast from Adam Sandler to Russell Brand, who was surprisingly really funny. Overall, I think it is a great movie and one of Adam Sandlers best in the past few years. Grade: A-.

Hope to see Valkyrie over the weekend.

Finished XFiles 2 this evening and as a person who rarely watched the show I enjoyed it very much.

I enjoyed the way that you did not need to follow the many years of the mythology and simply were allowed into the movie depending mainly on the chemistry between the two leads.

There were plot holes, there were movie where the drama was a bit heavy but if you can look past that and enjoy the credibility of Mulder and Scully you might enjoy yourself.

Mark Snow also did a great score to the movie which matches up to the dark and snowy atmosphere.

The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button

fantastic! though it does have its flaws (3 hrs) its still one of the best movies of '08. The Visual effects are top notch and a feast for the eyes.

a hlight of the film for me was to see 70mm, 1918 ish film footage on the big screen!

definatley a must-see. not reccomended for people who hate long movies....

9/10

^^^^ and ^^^^^ I really want to see both of those movies. I thought The Unborn looked like another cookie-cutter horror movie at first but after watching the trailers it looks decent, enough for me to want to see it. My Bloody Valentine 3D I want to see because I'm curious as to how much the 3D effects will add to the movie. Other then the effects the movie doesn't stand out that much to me.

Yes Man 9/10

Wow, I did not expect this movie to be as good as I thought it would be. I really was quite impressed. Not only is it laugh out loud hilarious, I really enjoyed the story and was impressed by the acting. Great movie, definitely reccommend it for your next movie visit.

---Brent

I just saw WALL-E for the first time, and it was amazing. I never thought that a movie with as little dialogue and inanimate characters could be so funny and easy to relate to. And the many Apple references throughout the movie made me happy lol.

I'd give it a 9.5/10

I also watched Taken last night and it was a decent movie. The action was a little over-the-top and I really wish movie producers would really cut back on the number of goons with guns that couldn't shoot a beluga whale to save their lives. At one point I think five people were shooting at him, one with a machine gun, and he didn't get hit...from twenty feet away. Other than that though, the story was decent, and was an entertaining action movie.

I'd give it a 7/10

I also saw Mirrors, which surprisingly wasn't as bad as I though it was going to be. I was expecting a horror movie along the lines of quality of One Missed Call, but it was decent. Very typical story, twist ending, etc. But it was acted pretty well and entertained me the whole way through, which is a hard thing to do with recent horror movies.

I'd give it a 6.5/10

^I'm not saying your opinion isn't valid (since I have heard that the movie is not very good), but isn't it hard to fully evaluate a movie without finishing it? I know of a lot of movies that start off much slower than they end and seem a whole heck of a lot better after finishing them or after seeing it again. What makes you say it was so bad? Was it the acting, script, etc., or was it the storyline? I'm curious since this movie appeared to be one of those movies that would be amazing to some, and awful to others, and I'm interested in what people think about it.

I'm one of those people that really liked Sin City so I was looking forward to The Spirit, since they seemed sort of similar. But then I saw the previews. They SUCKED. I knew this movie was going to be an enormous flop, critically and at the box office, since the first trailer premiered.

And now, it's getting horrible reviews, everybody I know who saw it said it sucked, and it did terribly at the box office this weekend.

Sorry Frank, stick to writing comic books. It's apparently all you're good at.

Wow! Saw Valkyrie and Benjamin Button over the holiday week, as well as Bedtime Stories with the family, which was a cute family film, I suppose. But Valkyrie and Benjamin Button were the highlights, both sitting atop of the list of some of the best films of 2008, right aside Dark Knight and Wall-E.

Valkyrie: 8/10

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: 8/10

-Justin

Wow! Saw Valkyrie and Benjamin Button over the holiday week, as well as Bedtime Stories with the family, which was a cute family film, I suppose. But Valkyrie and Benjamin Button were the highlights, both sitting atop of the list of some of the best films of 2008, right aside Dark Knight and Wall-E.

Valkyrie: 9/10

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: 9/10

-Justin

Nice! You just need Gran Torino and you have all the movies i wanted to see

I'm one of those people that really liked Sin City so I was looking forward to The Spirit, since they seemed sort of similar. But then I saw the previews. They SUCKED. I knew this movie was going to be an enormous flop, critically and at the box office, since the first trailer premiered.

Same here, that's why i took no interest.

Pan's Labyrinth-9.5/10

This movie is awesome. Rent it!

In the end i thought it was overrated, i'll give it a 7.5.

The other day I watched Gremlins 2: The New Batch.

Let me just say that I am a huge fan of the original, as it feels like a horror movie, looks like a horror movie, but simply makes fun of itself in the best possible ways. The sequel, however, retains none of these. No horror-ish parts at all. Most humor is either really childish or stupid toilet humor, and it doesn't have the same parodying effect as the first one. It's like making fun of a dead guy, it just has nothing to it. I believe there were two --Yes, TWO-- times I laughed in this movie.

And if you're looking for more of those cute mogwai, you're out of luck. The new ones are either freakin' ugly, or they look like absolute morons.

If you enjoyed the original, like any other sequel, stay away from this one. But for those of you who enjoy seeing cross-dressing gremlins that look like hookers from hell, you'll love it.

Final Score: 2/10

I hated Gremlins 2 as a child / teen. I re watched it the other week and loved the humor. I found it to be a great parody of the original. The original was not very well liked by the majority of people (not saying pt 2 was) but if you read imdb, the comments generally favor part 2 with critics.