TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

Overall I've felt a little short changed by the majority of movies this summer, most of the recent releases felt very predictable to me and had almost completely disregarded the plot/narrative in favour of CGI and crisper visuals (Indy IV, Iron Man, Speed Racer I'm looking at you).

The only two films which I've really enjoyed since April were "The Dark Knight" and Frank Darabont's "The Mist" (which only just arrived here in the UK).

That said the last movie I saw at the cinema was Hellboy 2: The Golden Army and I really felt that the style and tone of Del Toro's first outing had been compromised in order to load in pre-teens and small children. Presumably as a counter to "The Dark Knight" which really pushed the 'dark'/adult superhero angle. However, this new approach was ultimately to the detriment of the film. In fact the only saving graces for me were the performance given by Luke Goss as the films antagonist and the early effects shots in which Del Toro uses practical make-up to great effect. However, the much hyped 'Troll Market' scene is extensively covered in the trailer alone and the remaining effects (particularly the Golden Army itself) stray into the same overblown CGI territory as most 2008 summer movies did.

New additions to the cast also included an insufferable ectoplasmic (Big props to "Ghostbusters" for teaching me that word) German scientist, who arrives fully equipped with some of the most abysmal dialogue I've heard all year. Mix this with several fairly low risk action scenes and a weak love interest and you could easily be excused for giving this film a miss, at least until the DVD is available to rent.

With the summer season now all but over I personally can't wait for "Burn After Reading" as I am a huge Coen Brothers fan. Especially when it comes to their offbeat comedies/crime capers (a la "The Big Lebowski). Anybody else have a film out soon that they are looking forward to?

Iron Man, albeit on one of those tiny back of the seat plane screens, and I have to say it lived up to the hype, a fine adventure and a good story.

Robert Downey Jr may have issues off the screen but his acting chops are undeniable.

I saw Don't Mess With The Zohan last week, Quite racist in some parts but still best film I've seen this year, 9/10!

Obviously that is the only movie you've seen this year...

[REC] 8.5/10

Since "Quarantine" is a remake of "[REC]", I thought would watch the original so I can compare it to the remake. I was VERY impressed. Quite intense in some parts and the storyline was pretty cool. Although predictable at some times (lets face it, most horror movies are this way), the parts that weren't were super cool. Defenitly watch this before you watch Quarantine, it was awesome.

---Brent

Disaster movie

Worst. Movie. Ever. Made.

You paid to see that?

I saw Tropic Thunder last weekend...I laughed quite a bit. It had some really foul, tasteless and disgusting humor, which is right up my alley.

hahaha. yes. sadly. Me and my friends thought it would be so bad that it made it funny. We were wrong.

'The Happening' and 'The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor' definitely fit into the so bad it's hilarious category. Its a shame that M. Night Shyamalan seems to be falling back on incredibly predictable plot twists since he had so much promise a few years ago. But your right the recent waves of movie spoofs like 'Disaster Movie' are beyond hope. Even though they have a budget as large as most peoples weekly shopping I'm always surprised that enough people go to see them for the studio to make any money back.

Traitor 7/10

Better than I thought it would end up being. Pretty easy plot line to follow, although the people I was with were like "No way! I didn't know they made movies that you had to actually think to understand it!". Silly America...Anywho! Don Cheadle did pretty good, not as good as his Hotel Rwanda role, but pretty well nonetheless. The action was cool, although not as much as I thought there would be.

---Brent

So I was looking up random sci-fi type stuff (really bored) and was reminded of one of my favorite movies THX 1138. I really need to go buy this movie. The movie is the main concept that many more recent movies, such as The Island, got their plots from. I love the depiction of the future in this movie. There's something eerily calm and quiet about everything in the movie. Even in parts such as the explosion in the nuclear production plant and the extended chase scene at the end of the movie, the mood is oddly silent. There's really something special about this movie (well, everything except the added in CGI in the recent re-release). But that's George Lucas for you. Adding CGI to classic movies that don't need it.

But if you're a fan of sci-fi and dystopia films, as I am, you really should see this movie. I'd give it a 9/10.

Disaster movie

Worst. Movie. Ever. Made.

Couldn't agree more. I was dragged to see that.

6/10 I saw Tropic Thunder last Saturday. It was ok. There were some funny moments. And most people don't know about the Ozzy Osbourne reference.

^The words "of a" are missing in the middle of the title of that movie.

These _____ Movie's are just a bunch of crassly placed subliminal advertisement:

"OMG!!!!111ONE!11! Hannah Montana is dead" - some dumb chick

"Goodbye my fans! Keep Rockin'! And don't forget to buy my two new CD's in stores now!"

with irrelevant pop culture references and unfunny racial stereotypes. How could these moronic writers possibly think what they are writing is funny? I mean, from the trailer alone... they reuse the same "getting hit/crushed by something big" joke 3 times! I felt my IQ was lowering just from watching the trailer. To make matters worse, they are spoofing movies that are still in theaters. Didn't The Dark Knight, Hulk, & Iron Man JUST come out? Also, if they wanted to spoof a disaster movie, why didn't they spoof an actual disaster movie? (ie: Titanic, Armageddon, Independence Day, The Poesideon Adventure, etc.) This movie doesn't even know what it's spoofing! Juno? Sex & The City? Enchanted? WTF! What is that!

Please, don't pay to see this mindless garbage! You're only encouraging them to make MORE! THINK OF THE CHILDREN MY GOD THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!