TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

Just saw The Mist last night and was blown away!

First of all, I usually despise Stephen King adaption films because they usually suck (Dreamcatcher ring a bell?) But The Mist was on a totally different level. What I loved the most about this movie was the theme of humanity.

It's frightening to know that some people, in times of desperate measure where the future is uncertain, will latch onto anyone or anything that promises some kind of answer, regardless of how absurd the answer might be. I think this is the dumbest but sadly truest mentality that our society lives in. Think for yourself you morons, get the facts, avoid crutches of any kind, and stop looking for someone to blame! Marcia Gay Harden's character Mrs. Carmody made me want to back hand her. It has been awhile since I have been so angry at a character (which is a good thing! Props to her for such a great acting job!)

There were a few things that I did not like about the film though. The ending for one was SO morbid! I felt like killing myself after watching that! But I guess it was better than the generic Hollywood, feel-good ending. Also, the CGI was a little off at some points in the movie (The tentacles looked so fake) which is such a shame because the monsters in the movie were BADASS!

Overall, I think the movie was well-written, well-directed, and very well-acted. I thought this was gonna be another dreadful horror film but it actually turned out to be surprising great (but brutal to watch at times). I definitely recommend this movie to everyone!

9/10

The Mist - surprisingly good, and an interesting insight into how fear and hysteria can affect people, brutal ending.

That sounds like something I would like!

I just watched Into The Wild. For those of you who don't know, it's based on the true story of a young man who left society, traveled for a few years by "living off the land" before finally going to the Alaskan wilderness. Great movie. Very emotional in the second half of the film. 8/10

I saw Doomsday the other day. Still don't know if I liked it or not. It really does pay homage to 80's disaster movies. The plot is ridiculous but at the same time they took it seriously so it made it even more daft. If the tone had been a bit more tongue in cheek it'd have been more enjoyable and the plot holes wouldn't have been as noticeable or important. But it's got a UK cast so that makes it awesome! Maybe a film for watching after you've had a few beers.

Shutter- 7/10

I saw this on its opening day at a 9:50 showing. It had a "mini-twist" and I wasn't really bored. There were a bunch of parts that scared me, including two or more "fake-outs". Lots of people, I've heard, like the Thai original better. Maybe I could see that one day. I never saw a horror movie in a theater.

Near the end, some guy in the theater screamed out of nowhere, making me jump.

***SPOILER***

There was this part where everyone in the theater screamed because the lights turned off in the room, and the flash went crazy, so you, at first, could only see what's happening every few seconds. My sister was all "She's gonna' come up in the next one!" The flashes get faster and the girl was appearing everywhere and grabbing that man...So creepy.

Mars Attacks

I recorded it on TBS last night, and saw it a few hours ago. Man, this movie is freakin' HILARIOUS! It's one of the funniest 'stupid comedies' (Napoleon Dynamite, etc.) that I've seen in a long time. Tim Burton did very well with his trademark style of humor, doing perfect parodies of classic 'Alien Attack' movies. Most people online say this movie sucks because it's not scary or thrilling, but they don't realize that it's a COMEDY, meaning to PARODY other movies of the type. But still, I recommend this movie to anybody looking for a good laugh.

I give this movie a 9/10, it's just kinda slow near the beginning.

10,000 BC: 1/10

Boring piece of trash. Don't waste your time. The only reason I stayed was because my brother and I found stuff to make fun of.

The Other Boleyn Girl: 7/10

Really interesting movie. I was expecting a chick flick but got a really cool historical film. And how can you hate anything Natalie Portman does?!

Horton Hears A Who: 10/10

THE best nonPixar computer animated film I have ever seen. It has great humor AND a great message.

El Orfanato

9/10

It's sure is a foreign film so not many people will see it around the world. But in Singapore, the film has so far received extremely good reception so I think it will be packed this weekend. It's intense and the story is just very original and pure work of art. Nice acting and it's a unique horror.

Wait until you see how the woman call the ghosts. Everyone in the theater was screaming when I watched it in cinemas.

Hurricane on the Bayou (IMAX)

It was beautifually shot; the scenery, animals, nature, and city were all captured very well. The music was also very good. Meryl Streep narrates a few parts of it, but overall she probably has less than five minutes of speaking in the entire movie. Definitely see it if it comes to an IMAX theater around you or if it is ever released on DVD.

Shutter was awful, Semi-Pro had a few funny parts.

Be Kind Rewind

8/10

If you're looking for the funniest spoof movie, this one is the THE ONE! Very funny especially when they're making the spoof of other movies. The ending is really kinda touching and it just left me questioning about their fate. But overall, I had lots of great laugh moments watching the movie. It's very entertaining. Go watch it.

Here is an interesting new movie that just came out of Sundance. The flick is named Downloding Nancy and it is based on the story of a Florida woman whose ultimate fantasy was for her online contact to torture and kill her.

Downloading Nancy

It is not gaining critical acclaim but the trailer looks odd enough for me...

From Fearnet.com

Downloading Nancy is not a comedy, but a bleak, brutal and aggressively unpleasant psycho-sexual-thriller sort of thing

Horton Hears a Who

My boyfriend and I just finished this film and we both LOVED it! I was hesitant at first because, honestly, it looked really stupid from the advertisements but I thought it was one of the best movies I have seen in a long time! Funny, witty, and shared an important message to the world... "a person's a person, no matter how small."

...and I really loved that awkward yellow animal (What was she?!), Katie!

10/10

Highly Recommended!

Just like heaven : 7/10

Although I'm not into these kind of 'ghost' movies (I always makes me think of one of worst movies I've ever seen. Brad Pitt played the 'ghost' but I don't recall the movie name right now), this movie I liked : it has a nice story and some funny parts in it.

Mr Brooks : 7/10

Apart from the slow start and the weird ending, this is quite an entertaining movie. I especially liked the conscience actor.

Syriana : 3/10

Despite the big names acting in this movie, I didn't like Syriana. It probably has a great sotryline but it was way too complicated so I had no idea what the story was.

Just saw 21 last night. It was a pretty good movie. 7/10. The only thing I found weird was Jim Sturgess without an English accent like in Across The Universe. I've seen ATU so many times now that I'm just used to hearing that accent.

By the way if you haven't seen Across The Universe go rent it, or better yet buy it soon. 9/10