TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

"The Brothers Grimm"

Rather than fight yet another war with Hollywood (see: "Brazil", "The Adventures of Baron Munchausen", and "The Man Who Killed Don Quixote"), Terry Gilliam took off his gloves and allowed the Weinsteins and Miramax to force their will upon him. With his new film "Tideland" coming out soon, Gilliam chose to focus his efforts on molding it, while allowing "The Brothers Grimm" to go wherever the studio wanted to take it. The result is by far the most commercial film to Gilliam's name, but in this case watered-down Gilliam is better than no Gilliam, and his first film in seven years ("Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" in 1998) is a fun one.

"The Brothers Grimm" certainly looks like a Terry Gilliam movie, loaded with extravagant visuals and wide angled shots, although the $80 million budget did allow for his first use of CGI (it really isn't too bad, though), and it does not have the incredibly surreal feeling to it that most Gilliam films have. It takes a bit of time to get used to Matt Damon (as Will Grimm) and Heath Ledger, moreso Damon, as Ledger is surprisingly good as Jacob Grimm. The film was much more humorous than I had expected, and has plenty of subtle Gilliam humor. Many will find Peter Stormare' Cavaldi character to be extremely annoying, but I thought he was hilarious, and one of the highlights of the movie. Jonathan Pryce returns to another Gilliam movie as Delatombe, and does a decent job, although his character was a little overly abnoxious at times. Lena Headey is good as Angelika, and Monica Bellucci also pulls off a good performance, although unfortunately she does not get a significant amount of screen time.

The plot of "The Brothers Grimm" wanders a lot, and I actually thought the movie was winding down at around the 90 minute mark, but this works somewhat to the film's advantage, as it makes a fairly straightforward plot seem slightly less predictable. The film is much sillier than the promos may lead to believe, and that probably will not come us much of a surprise to big Gilliam fans. Unlike previous Gilliam movies, however, there really is no substance behind what we see on screen, so what we get is really the first 'popcorn flick' with Gilliam's name on it. Like all Terry Gilliam movies, the reaction will be mixed, and there will be some people who absolutely love it, and some who name it their worst film of the year. As far as I'm concerned, "Grimm" does not hold a candle to Terry Gilliam's previous films, but it is one of the better 'big summer movies', and I certainly felt my time was well spent watching it.

3 stars (out of 4)

I saw two movies this weekend.:

Red Eye This movie wasn't awful, but it wasn't good. Despite the fact that Rachel McAdams is Hottie McHotHot and I kind of have a mancrush™ on Cillian Murphy, the movie just sort of fell flat. The tone was all over the place, and the pacing needed work. Combine that with the fact there are quite a few unintentionally funny bits of dialogue, and it just lost my interest. I did have a fun time playing the Benny Hill wacky saxaphone chase song in my head while he was chasing her around, though. They should add that to the DVD, it'd be at least 10x better.

Final Verdict: 4/10

The Aristocrats Funny, but I was expecting too much. I don't really get big laughs off raunchy humor, and this movie is basically one long raunchy joke. They did a good job on the pacing and editing, one wouldn't think a 2 hour documentary based around a simple dirty joke could hold steam. Bob Sagat is frickin' hilarious, but the best interpretation comes from a Mime. Yes, a Mime. When he starts acting out the joke, you pretty much think "There is no way this is going to work..." but then it does work and it's really really funny.

Recommended! 7/10

I just got back from seeing Brothers Grimm.

I have read somewhere that one person said it's the worst movie in the world. Um...what other movies has that person seen? It may not be the best, but it's not even close to the worst.(Ishtar and Stealth are near the worst! ) I did like this film,I love any kind of twisted fairy tale. Or the fairy tales that are close to the original Grimm tales.(Not the toned down "Disneyfied" tales.) I found this a bit better then Van Helsing, it had a lot of parts that I loved.

Warning! possible spoilers!

I liked the scene where the forest starts to attack everyone,it was just chaos. I clapped when the werewolf was chasing Lil Red and when a old guy looks over where she was screaming and all you see is her red cloak hanging in the trees. (I can't help I am a werewolf person!) I also liked the scene where the horse kidnaps the one girl,I have heard tales of horses and other animals talking to people,before kidnapping them or killing them. But the spiderweb net thing I found very clever. I laughed so hard once I saw what happened to that cat. It's so sad and funny at the same time!

END possible spoilers.

Now I knew this one thing was going to happen,parents would bring their young kids. Once I saw a group come in, I knew the little girl and boy were not going to enjoy this. After the movie was over, I looked at their faces. Their faces showed me that they did not like that at all. Looks like the mom and dad will have trouble putting them to sleep, and trying to tell them that they will not get swallowed by a horse! Overall,I liked this movie. But I would NOT bring little kids to it. They will get scared.

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen

The final installment of Terry Gilliam's "dreams trilogy" further proves that he is a god of filmmaking. It's simply fantastic. From meeting the king and queen of the moon in a "Trip to the Moon" style adventure, to an encounter with Greek gods inside of a volcano, and even into the stomach of a giant sea creature, Gilliam never fails to delight as he whisks us to Baron's next adventure. The film displays the power of imagination and fantasy, blending it with reality until the line between the two disappears. Every member of the cast does a marvelous job transforming into the film's dynamic characters. And, of course, with the likes of Terry Gilliam, Charles McKeown, and Eric Idle involved, it is also hilarious. I was rolling with laughter at Oliver Reed playing an incarnation of the Greek god Vulcan, trying to control his fit of rage while showing off his ballroom. "NICE. ISN'T IT." Even Robin Williams shows up in an uncredited role, and his style of humor fits well into Gilliam's surreal visuals. Beautiful.

4 stars (out of 4)

The Neverending Story

Yeah… so this film has not aged well at all. Obivously I was much younger when I originally saw it, but I was not expecting it to be quite as cheesy as it was. I'm not referring to the effects, because I don't really judge those at all, but the extreme overacting by a lot of the characters, and a lot of problems with pacing. It is an extremely imaginative film, though, with some pretty cool sets, and an odd soundtrack.

2.5 stars (out of 4)

Sin City

This is the way a comic book movie should be. The visuals in this film were fantastic, and the style really immerses the viewer into the comic book. The cast is absolutely loaded with stars, and the over the top dialog and performances simply add to that comic book feel. The stories are pretty good, but this is a film that is really about style. It's essentially an all out assault on the senses for two hours, and even though there's not exactly much depth to this movie, I'll have to admit I was quite impressed.

3.5 stars (out of 4)

Return to Oz

"Return to Oz" is a bizarre, bizarre, bizarre movie. Made in 1985, it is in part an unofficial sequel to the original "Wizard of Oz". When it debuted, it bombed miserably, and it is easy to see why. This is not the bright and cheery world of the 1939 musical. There are some very dark moments in this film, and at points it becomes quite surreal. Examples: In the film's first act, Dorothy's aunt and uncle send her to an electro-shock therapist, where she is strapped to a gurnee and the doctor prepares to run current through her head to "cure" her of her bad dreams. In the background we hear patients in other parts of the building screaming in terror. One of the villains in the film is a group known as the "Wheelers", a bunch of crazy guys with wheels instead of hands and legs who skate around on all fours. And oh yeah, did I mention that the Emerald City has been destroyed, and all of its inhabitants turned to stone? So yes, this is a much darker version of Oz that most found way too weird when it first came out. Not that it is all like that, of course. It is a Disney movie (if you can believe it from what I just said), and there are plenty of fun and cheery characters. It's definitely worth seeing, simply because it is such an odd movie, and I am a bit surprised that Disney approved of some of its content.

3 stars (out of 4)

^ Well Stitch, if you want some more Python, in "Something Completely Different" There's the new Broadway Cast CD (show won the Tony this summer for Best Musical), Monty Python's SPAMALOT - starring Tim Curry (Orig.Frankenfurter 'Rocky Horror') Hank Azaria (voices Apu and Moe in The Simpsons) David Hyde Pierce (Niles in Frasier) and the gorgeously ample AND gifted Sara Ramirez as The Lady of The Lake (and her Laker Girls!).

Great CD of the show - has some the usual wonderful Python freakiness to it too. And remember, "Always look on the bright si-i-de of life"

The 40 Year Old Virgin was great. Simply put. Way better than I expected it to be. Loads of great lines, and gags that are actually effective. The chest Waxing scene is even funnier than it is in the Trailer. And that is by no means the only hilarious thing in this raunchy and hilarious breakout hit from the brilliant Steve Carell. Quite possibly the best movie I've seen all summer.

I also recently bought The Blues Brothers on DVD. This is another winner that I never really got into until I was in college. John Belushi was a master comedian, and I miss him terribly because of this film as well as Animal House. The musical numbers are passable, and of course the car chase scenes turn pointless and hilarious mayhem into an art form.

I just rented two DVD's today. One was the special edition of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (The original 70's version), a film that makes up for it's lack of gore, with it's genuinely freaky and disturbing atmosphere. I also rented Ong-Bak, the Thai Warrior, which I haven't watched as of now.

I saw Transporter 2 on Sunday. It was okay, untill the airplane scene with the G3 (Gulfstream for the common man). It showed it taking off with the reverse thrust clam shells on, he somehow gets into the plane from the landing gear bay which is impossible on a G3, and the airplane puts itself into stalls (where you can hear the engines somehow power down when it stalls, then powers back up again, WTF?). Overall, its un realistic and the blond chick scared me a little, but eh it'll be a good rental!

Colin C

Over the weekend we watched a few movies:

"Ice Princess"-eh, it was ok. Amanda didn't really care for it either.

"Sahara"-again, eh. I fell asleep.

"The Transporter"- I LOVED this movie!!! I want to see the second one now so bad!!!

We also bought "Lost" yesterday and started watching the first disc. I am so hooked on this show now!!!

Corpse Bride

I realize that many will cry blasphemy, but I liked "Corpse Bride" better than "The Nightmare Before Christmas". In fact, "Corpse Bride" is one of the best movies I've seen so far this year. As expected, the stop-motion is amazing, and the film is stunning visually. I will conceed that the story is not as imaginative as "The Nightmare Before Christmas", but it is paced and executed very well. Like most of Burton's films, there are some very touching moments, and I also was not expecting it to be as funny as it was. The movie is packed with a ridiculous number of cheesy groan inducing puns (usually dealing with death); but that is not a complaint, as I really think it worked to the film's advantage. There is a lot of silliness that comes through the dark mood that Burton establishes, and as a result "Corpse Bride" is a lot of fun to watch. The vocal performances by Depp, Carter, and the rest of the cast are top notch, and it is clear that a lot of care was taken in bringing the characters to life. One of the best American animated films to come along in a while as far as I am concerned.

3.5 stars (out of 4)