TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

Recent movies I have seen:

Sweeny Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Grade: B+

This was better than expected. It was another great combo of Depp and Burton. Really gory, but over the top, fake kind of gore. Wasn't crazy about the music. But loved the artistic direction of the film.

National Treasure: Book of Secrets

Grade: B

Solid family adventure movie similar to the first film.

Away From Her

Grade: B+

We rented this last night for our Oscar fest, because Julie Cristie is nominated for best actress for her role. I had never heard of it, but it was very touching. The film deals with the heartbreaking reality of when Alzheimers effects the wife of a couple who has been married for 44 years.

The Machinist:

Grade: B-

Christian Bale is good as a machinist that has had insomnia for over a year. The transformation of Bale's body into 120 pounds is shocking. He is basically a walking skeleton. Because of his insomnia, he has trouble distinguishing what is real and what are hallucinations.

^3 was ridiculously awful. It had so much potential for amazingness, but i don't think any of the cast remembered what acting was, and I doubt anyone read the script before they made it. Even the especially cool parts (Venom) were ruined by ridiculous things (like his high-pitched voice).

Saw John Rambo, was pleasantly surprised, it wasn't jingoistic at all, and it had a lot of depth. It really highlights the genocidal crap that is going on in Burma right now and portrays Rambo as a deeply troubled man who hates what he is. And the action is kick a$$.

So apparently New Line has bought the rights to do a remake of the recently released foreign film The Orphanage (El Orfanato). I'm not sure about you guys, but this makes me mad because it is basically like New Line is saying "Well we know most Americans didn't see this movie because they don't like to read subtitles. So we're gonna re do it so it can make more money."

ugh...it just upsets me. This is the first time I have considered boycotting a film.