TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

Just got back from Jurassic Park at the Edwards big 6 in Newport. They had a re-grand opening of the largest screen in the O.C. The sound was the newest and the loudest on the west coast. I must say Jurassic Park has always been my favorite movie, but it was like seeing a completely new movie. It was amazing by far the greatest movie I've ever seen with the 80 foot screen and 30 surround sound speakers.

100/10

--Jay

Caught the midnight show of Live Free or Die Hard yesterday. What an awesome film - the PG-13 rating didn't hurt it at all as the action was still there (this was probably the best action film we've had in years). Bruce Willis still kicked @$$ as John McClane too, and Justin Long was actually good in the sidekick role. Definitely recommended. A

My thoughts exactly. I loved the new Die Hard film. 9/10 for me.

Evan Almighty

A movie that kinda made no sense. It was a cute and funny movie, but theres a few things that make me go WTF.

The flood scene was much smaller than I expected. I don't know why animals of every kind came to the ark, even though the flood seemed to make a part of Washington DC suffer. It wasn't a massive worldwide flood, but why did I see baboons and llamas and animals I didn't expect to see in Virginia.

It wasn't totally funny, but it was still a cute and charming film as it is. Steve Carrell did an excellent job in this movie.

Just got back from seeing Die Hard 4, and I absolutely loved it!!!! It was a great way to finish off the Die Hard movies. Even as a walking dinosaur, McClane can still kick some major a$$. I think I have to put this as my favorite movie this year, and a overall grade of 9.5/10. The reason it doesn't get a perfect grade is because of the truck/fighter jet scene at the end was a little much, but still enjoyable.

On a side note, the resurrection of McClane character just makes me even more excited about 2008, when Indy comes back one final time.

Ratatouille

I suppose the disappointment that was Cars, followed by my discovery of auteurs such as Godard and Fellini disillusioned me from Pixar for a while, but Ratatouille proved to be a return to form on par with Finding Nemo. Hell, I think it was better than Nemo.

The story of Ratatouille sets it apart as a minority in American multiplexes this summer for it's sincerity (lookin' at you Live Free or Die Hard). Nary a pop culture reference in sight, the story and characters feel as fresh as a crisp croissant from a Parisian bakery. In addition, Peter O'Toole's character as the delightfully pretentious food critic is a pure treat.

Needless to say, with Pixar, you can expect to see some amazing visuals. Paris is breath-taking and filled to the brim with many subtle sight gags. Brad Bird's signature action sequences are top notch as well, but the most important visual achievement is the food. From spotless kitchens to decaying garbage heaps, food has never been so realistically rendered in CGI before.

The O'Toole character in me wants to dismiss Ratatouille as a piece of cinéma commercial manufactured by l'avarice de la bourgeoisie Hollywood, but I know better than that. Pixar may have merged with Disney, but it is still comprised of true visionaries that create consistant, even autueristic, works of entertainment for people of all ages.

Viva la Pixar! 8.5/10.

Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone

It was on TV a couple of nights ago, so i watched it. It's a good movie, from an even better book. But the acting didn't seem so good as it once had. The entire cast, with the exception of some of the older students and teachers, seemed very emotionless.

But apart from that, it was a good re-watch in preperation for the 5th movie, "Harry potter and the Order of the phoenix". Hopefully in this movie, Hermione won't be such a know-it-all.. you know.

Just came back from seeing Transformers.

It was awesome, nuff said. I'm still going WTF over how Shia LeBouf went from Disney Channel to main character in a blockbuster in less than 5 years. The robots were all badass, tons of explosions, and a nice cheap Bush joke in the beginning. Some bits of humor sprinkled throughout with badass fight scenes.

Transformers = METAL!!

Just came back from seeing Transformers.

It was awesome, nuff said. I'm still going WTF over how Shia LeBouf went from Disney Channel to main character in a blockbuster in less than 5 years. The robots were all badass, tons of explosions, and a nice cheap Bush joke in the beginning. Some bits of humor sprinkled throughout with badass fight scenes.

Transformers = METAL!!

^agree, I give the movie a 9/10.

--Jay

TRANSFORMERS

I thought it was unbelievable, the best movie of the summer by far. The transforming actions were great, the story was really good, and the actors did a great job. I'm ready to go see it again.

It was so good, it deserves its own thread.

Transformers was AMAZING! I loved every second of it!

Quick question though.......

During the previews, there was this one trailer that started off with this guy named Rob (or Bob or something) and all of his friends were throwing him a going away party because he was leaving to go to Japan to study abroad. In the middle of the celebration, there was this huge explosion and carnage ensues throughout NYC. It was a short but intense teaser. I didn't catch the name of the flick... did anyone else see this trailer?

Did a little research and apparently J.J. Abrams (producer of Alias, Lost, Armageddon and the director and writer of MI3) is directing. He wants to keep this movie totally top secret which explains why there is no name for the film and why it is not searchable on the internet.

If you caught the trailer before Transformers, much of it had a shaky, "Blair-witch" feel to it which is intended to make the audience feel like they are in the middle of all the mayhem. It's not overdone, and it added a lot of fear and excitement to the audience. I remember as soon as the trailer ended, everyone was like, "What was that?? I have to see it!"

Although there is not much on it yet, here is the official site: http://www.1-18-08.com/

^ I believe you are right about Cloverland. Transformers was great. I was a little worried that Bay would bastardize the Transformers and would have to seek him out and kill him. He did a really good job with the film. (did I just say that about Bay?) Dare I say it was Red Dawn Awesome.

SiCKO 9/10

SiCKO is probably one of the most eye opening documentaries that I have ever seen. It's a movie on par with the greatest. The topic is American health care systems. How the one's without insurance survive, and the one's with insurance are scammed out of their money. As with many Michel Moore films, SiCKO has some, (but very few) exaggerated parts, but the film shows how far we are from fair, and equal treatment.

Ovaral SiCKO is a must see film, I give it a 9/0

If you notice on IMDb it displays the mysterious JJ Abrams movie as having the "fake working" title Cloverland. Wouldn't it be just like him to release a movie without a title? Whatever it was, it looked incredible. As far as Transformers goes, what else can I say that hasn't been said? It is one of the most entertaining movies I've seen in a LONG time. LOVED it.

Well I was going to write a big review on Transformers, but it wouldn't turn out so good because there is only one thing to be said about it.

It was highly entertaining and it was awesome. That's it. I personally didn't dslike any part of it. At all. At first when the robots started talking, I was thinking that it would be horrible, but I think they pulled off the talking robots really well. The last half of the movie also kept me on the edge of my seat. It was all nonstop action.

The trailer before it you guys are talking about was amazing. I can't wait till' it comes out.

As with many Michel Moore films, SiCKO has some, (but very few) exaggerated parts, but the film shows how far we are from fair, and equal treatment.

oh PLEASE. Everyone has the ability to buy insuarance if they want to. Just becasue some people don't work hard enough in school to get a job to afford it doesn't mean they are treated unfairly.

Think about how biased this movie really is. He's not going out and picking random people. He is SEARCHING for storeies that will fit his own personal agenda.

I would rather have the people who work hard get good medical attention than everybody in the country get delayed, crappy service like somthing a universal healthcare system (somthing that moore seems to be a supporter of) would deliver.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix: 4.8/5

I saw Harry Potter And The Order of the Phoenix at a pre-screening last week at AMC Pleasure Island Downtown Disney. Ended up waiting 8hrs in line to see it. Before we got let in, there were still about 400-500 people outside with their Myspace Profiles printed out, waiting to see if they could get in. They only allowed 300 of us.

Very good movie actually. Followed the book MUCH better than the 4th movie did. They did leave a few details out though, but not enough to withdraw from the storyline... basically useless information, or, information they needed, but brought about in a different way.

Professor Umbridge =

Luna Lovegood =

They picked perfect actresses for those roles. I had a true hate for Umbridge in the movie, just like I had for her in the book... I kept yelling at the screen, it was bad. Luna was very absent minded and oblivious to everything around her "I hope they have pudding", "My clothes have gone mysteriously missing, I believe it's the work of Narggles". Great acting for both of them.

I can't wait to see it opening night again at iMax 3D... sucks only the last 20min of it is in 3D.

Michael "Sorry Professor, I must not tell lies" Redig

Transformers was, no doubt, the best movie of the year. Definately a 10/10 with how it was able to mix comedy with action and still have a great story to go with it all.

Live Free or Die Hard was also a great movie. I must have a thing for these action/comedies...

"Cloverfield" looks like it'll be a great movie, definately can't wait to see more on it!