TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

Saw XXX2 at the weekend. It was okay, fun and had enough action, but it got a bit fantastical at times, and Ice Cube really can't act. In fact, his acting has got worse since his early days in Boyz n the Hood etc.

Samuel L Jackson and Willem Dafoe were good though.

So I had the unfortunate experience of having to sit well... halfway through House of Wax. For any of you who have seen the original House of Wax (1953) and were expecting this to be a remake of it, it is anything but. The original was about an older man who's life work was his wax house. He had wax figures of famous historical icons (e.g. Joan of Arc). When his wax museum goes down everyone thinks he died trying to save all of his wax figures. Well, he comes back with a wax face (he made himself a face of wax because his face was burned when he was trying to save the House of Wax while it was burning down) and he kills people and dips them in wax to recreate his famous historical wax figures. But the original wasn't at all gory. It was more of a thriller/Alfred Hitchcock type of movie. The remake starring Paris Hilton (should have been my first clue right?) was disgusting. It had no plot what so ever! It's just three random murderous brothers that come out of no where and dip people in wax. It also had a ridiculous amount of gore. I was depressed that they turned this 1953 thriller into your typical brainless teen slasher movie. So in case you couldn't tell or if you just skipped all of my ridiculous, boring ramble I don't reccomend it!

Picked up the "12 Monkeys" special edition today, and finally got a chance to watch this Terry Gilliam gem. I won't deny my love for Gilliam: "Brazil" may very well be my favorite movie ever. But this film blew my mind. The script seemed very well written, and I'm sure it would have been an excellent movie if directed by someone else, but with Gilliam's ability to immerse the viewer into an incredibly surreal world, this film was amazing. This was Bruce Willis's best performance ever, in my opinion, and Brad Pitt was great as well, as was Madeleine Stowe. Another masterpiece from Gilliam, and as far as I'm concerned one of the greatest films of the 1990's. 10/10 A+

I wonder if the DVD release of House of Wax will contain and footage of the sound stage at Warner Brothers Movie World burning to the ground during the filming of the "house fire" from the movie.

It was rumored that the crew did not have enough safety provisions in place and flew in a new special effects manager due to the first refusing to go ahead with this part of the shoot. But this was only rumor and I am sure some of the members of this fourm will have the truth behind the fire. Anyone???

I just watched Primer. I'm not going to rate it, because I honestly have no idea what the f*$& I just watched. I have seen many odd movies, but never have I been so totally lost as I was when this ended. My mind must be too small to comprehend it. However, I have this feeling that it does actually make sense, and maybe if I watch it about 30 more times I will somehow begin to understand it. I enjoyed it, but I have yet to decide if it was either completely brilliant, or a complete mess.

Yes, it's true that the set of House of Wax burnt down while they were taping the fire finale (if thats what you want to call it) ending to the movie. They showed a whole bunch of footage of it on "The Making of The House Of Wax" on MTV. Then entire cast and crew was there but everyone made it out ok. The entire soundstage that the set was on at Warner Bros. actually burnt down and they had to clean it up and build a whole new one before filming could resume. The even had to remake all the wax figures and carve the whole house out of wax again. I think that they should have taken it as a sign that this film should not have been made.

If memory serves correctly, there were two sets built on two of the 8 stages at Movie World, and they went and filmed in the second set to finish the movie. It took about 4-6months to rebuild the sound stage and it is now back into full use.

Will try to find a news picture of the fire for everyone.

Picked up the "12 Monkeys" special edition today, and finally got a chance to watch this Terry Gilliam gem. I won't deny my love for Gilliam: "Brazil" may very well be my favorite movie ever. But this film blew my mind. The script seemed very well written, and I'm sure it would have been an excellent movie if directed by someone else, but with Gilliam's ability to immerse the viewer into an incredibly surreal world, this film was amazing. This was Bruce Willis's best performance ever, in my opinion, and Brad Pitt was great as well, as was Madeleine Stowe. Another masterpiece from Gilliam, and as far as I'm concerned one of the greatest films of the 1990's. 10/10 A+

12 Monkeys is definitely a good film, though, I think I'd go with a rating of 8/10. Not one of the greatest of the 90's, though, IMO. I mean, off the top of my head, Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Fargo, Goodfellas, are some that come to mind as greatest from the 90's. Nevertheless, I'd definitely recommend 12 Monkeys. I really have been wanting to see Brazil, though, but haven't been able to get my hands on a copy at any of the local videostores...

yesterday I saw Vertigo. Amazing movie. The story is very well written, with some nice twists. You think you understand what's happening, but then everything change. Very good job by James Stuart and all the actors. The second best Hithcock movie after Rear Window IMO.

Oh yes, great movie. I actually prefer this over Rear Window, but just barely. Both would share spots on my top 20 list on YMDB.

yesterday I saw Vertigo. Amazing movie. The story is very well written, with some nice twists. You think you understand what's happening, but then everything change. Very good job by James Stuart and all the actors. The second best Hithcock movie after Rear Window IMO.

Oh yes, great movie. I actually prefer this over Rear Window, but just barely. Both would share spots on my top 20 list on YMDB. You just can't beat the Hitchcock-James Stewart combination for mystery/suspense filmmaking.

Today I watched Hotel Rwanda

Amazing Movie, Amazing performance by Don Cheadle.

You know, when I first saw Ray I thought that Jamie Foxx deserved to win the Oscar. Now that I have seen Finding Neverland (Johnny Depp) and Hotel Rwanda I see 2 actors who put on MUCH better performances. I'm thinking more and more that Jamie Foxx just won a popularity contest.

Interested to see The Aviator and Million Dollar Baby to see if Leo and Clint were also better.

I have found some pictures of the opening scenes of Final Destination 3 and from looking at the pictures it looks great. Rumor is that the movie will be in 3D, but here are some pictures for you to see....

http://www.countingdown.com/movies/3219913/multimedia/images?item_id=3714634

and the director with the coaster train on set

http://www.countingdown.com/movies/3219913/multimedia/images?item_id=3714640

Enjoy....

^ Cheers, I looked at a couple of site that were no help on the 3D rumor or not, still after reading about the opening death footage, it sounds like a movie worth going to just for the first 5 minutes. However as I am a fan of the first two movies I would be watching this one reguardless.

• 2 weeks later...

Thios Weekend i Rented "the delicate art of parking" starring fred ewanuick (TVs corner gas) and "pauly shore is dead" starring pauly shore. Poley shore is dead sucked out loud, but TDAOP was actually really good, the basic story line is a guy with $3000 in unpaid parking tickets gets his car towed, so he starts making a documentary about paking enforcers and how much people hate them, then he meets grant (ewanuick), an inforcer who takes the job seriously. by the way, they meet when the the guy making the movie and the russian sound girl save him during a beating he was getting. its very funny and entertaining, and anyone whos ever gotten a ticket will like it.

Over the past couple of weeks:

Star Wars Ep. III -

Best of the prequel trilogy without a doubt. Might be better than Jedi or A New Hope. Maybe after 50+ viewings it will be.

Team America: World Police -

Uh, yeah. I love South Park, loved the South Park movie. This didn't do it for me. Tried watching it twice, fell asleep both times. Wasn't funny ... at all.

Kinsey

Great movie. Liam Neeson gave a terrific performance.

The Aviator

Once again, a better performance than Jamie Foxx. I can say without a doubt that Leo, Johnny Depp and Don Cheadle gave MUCH better performances than Jamie Foxx did in Ray. Great movie, I didn't see Million Dollar Baby yet, but my guess is Scorcese and the movie got robbed at the Oscars.

Finally saw Episode III this past weekend. It didn't suck! It's not as good as any of the first three films (OK, it might be as good as "Jedi"), but it blows away the last two. Then again, two hours of Ewoks roaming around a rose bush might blow away the last two...anyway, Episode III turned out to be a LOT better than I expected it would be, and if this is indeed the last Star Wars movie, then Lucas went out on a high note.

And I totally agree with Gregg's above assesment of The Aviator. I caught it in the theater earlier in the year, and thought it should have won some of the major academy awards, especially Best Actor. A really good movie, something people should check out now that it's on DVD...

dt

Cinderella Man - Despite Ron Howard's insanely heavy-handed directing, this movie was great. Russel Crowe actually did an outstanding job, and Paul Giamatti stole the show. The fight scenes were also extremely well done. The highlight of the night, though, was when the sound went completely robotic for about 10 minutes of the film, which had some of the theater rolling with laughter. 9/10 A-