TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

Since the current Oscar nominations, out of the ten movies nominated for "Best", we saw five of them.

Which is a pretty good for us, heh.  The Oscars show is on Sunday, March 27th.

OSCARS.jpg.117a3efe89c4ed51ed78b4cef896b6eb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2021 at 3:45 AM, bert425 said:

and I can state as a fact, this is the best acting John Cena has done in a film. . he's excellent in this, and I can see why he gets a prequel spin off TV show on HBO Max.

Honestly, although I thought John Cena as Peacemaker was fantastic, after the characters actions in the movie, I wasn't overly interested in seeing the TV show. But so many people told me to check it out, I binge watched it since I had a COVID positive student and just watched it all while quarantined waiting for my test results. Glad I did because his acting here blows me away, and for a character who I had very little interest in, he can emote with his face so well without saying a thing... the last two episodes especially, you could see so many emotions when he was listening to Economos on the comms.

And I never thought the Wolverine F-bomb cameo in First Class would be topped, but damn if they didn't beat that here.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just came back from Sonic 2, not a perfect movie but also not bad.

It  has plenty of issues the human story being a prime example of that but also had some really great stuff. They did change somethings from the first movie however that made me roll my eyes, but still you can add that up to being a coincident rather then a plot hole, however the mid credit scene (yes there is one) does say something that doesn't add up at all and if the movie gets a sequel I wonder how they will explain it, it did warm me up to the sequel like it needs to. 

All in all you can see the people behind this movie are invested in Sonic lore but are bound by studios that try to add things in movies they don't need to to make them "Intersting" for normal people. 

If they cut out all the human stuff that had nothing to do with Sonic and his quest this movie would have been way better.

I liked him. He actually felt like a cartoon villain a bit here and there. If you watched the first movie it's more of that (they really toned him down in the trailers) but he has gone a little bit insane for obvious reasons and Jim did it really well.

Edit: Did some digging on the internet, turns out more things form the movie are actually from the games then I thought. This does validate the human story a bit, still a lot could have been cut there for all I care. The mid credit scene also got a lot more interesting for me, still needs some explaining however.

• Thanks 1

I was able to catch Everything Everywhere All at Once this weekend. It's the kind of film where you have no idea what just happened, but you loved every second of it. Such as when two rocks are having a (subtitled) conversation about existentialism. And one of them has googly eyes.

If you have the opportunity--SEE IT!

^ I'm just saying .... but after seeing one very 'intense' preview on tv ...

I believe this might be the "Jo Jo Rabbit" film to see, this year. IMhO. They're totally different, sure.

But both had plenty of unexpected wierdness going on. "French Dispatch" was like that for myself, last year.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw Multiverse of Madness Yesterday.

I really liked it, it's for sure my second favorite Phase 4 movie so far. The story was a bit different from what I suspected but to be fair I had no idea how they where going to handle some characters. Talking about characters, with the Multiverse angle they had a prime chance to give us some surprise cameo's and some where teased others where spoiled for me, but I was so glad not all of them where because some I did not expect in this movie.

Also this movie may be the closest thing the MCU ever will come to horror but it's for sure the most brutal movie of the MCU. I also don't want to say to much because I'm afraid to spoil some big things.

There where some things I didn't like, Strange has little to no fall out with what happened during Spider-Man no way home, also I didn't like how we only get a mention of something that had happened between movies but we didn't get to see anything, I hope Doctor Strange 3 might show that.

Also I didn't expect something. I got to see the new Avatar: The Way of Water trailer. Showing certain trailers before a movie isn't something that happens much in the Netherlands, we usually just get the big movie's coming soon (Like for MoM I got, Jurassic world and Top Gun, Nothing Disney related outside the Avatar trailer) So some quick thoughts, It looks stunning, I had no doubt about that, but all I could think was: "Why? Why now, Why Avatar?" I really have the feeling that this movie should have been made 10 years ago, because to be fair I have no idea if I will see it.

• 2 weeks later...

image.thumb.png.9c46db7751d21b99b2bfc67510b0f467.png

As a huge fan of Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers as a young kid I'm curious, has anyone watched the movie that dropped today? My young son spotted it and recognized it matched the figurine above that I got in Japan, but judging by the trailer I'm pretty sure it's probably not suitable for him/most of the jokes will go over his head. Probably won't have time to watch it this weekend/week to see. It's Disney+ so I'm assuming not too adult but who knows.

^ Saw it this morning. Honestly I cannot tell how suitable this is for children, like nothing is too adult orientated, I can only think of one joke involving 2 of the rangers that might cross the line, but that said it is a meta movie along the lines of Ready Player One and Free Guy but this time related to movies and the industries, so most younger children won't get half the jokes.  So sorry cannot help you with that.

That said, I do want to share some opinions about the movie, keep in mind I knew the show when it aired years ago but never was a dedicated fan.

I did like it, this movie could have been a easy flop but I laughed and had a fun time, but it could have easily been called anything else then Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers. Yes the duo are the main stars but you can easily replace them. I mean the only reason it's them is because it is a Disney movie that needed a duo in the lead that hasn't seen the spotlight in a while, but I am fine with it, Chip n Dale are among Disney's most iconic characters and it has been years since I last heard of them in a new show or movie. Also with Disney owning Fox, Star Wars and Marvel, you think they wouldn't reference other movies as they did, I mean there are clear references to Nickelodeon, Warner Bros, Paramount and Universal movies and characters, and those are but a couple I saw. 

Take away is this movie surprised me and was fun.. I am also curious how actual fans feel about the movie because like I said, they could have easily been another duo and still work for me.

• 2 weeks later...

the Bob's Burgers Movie is fantastic with some laugh out loud moments.

I enjoyed it immensely, and since saw it at the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema here in Austin?  got to see the short they made for the film.

sharing here, as they released it online:

"My Butt hazza fever!"

• Like 1

^We're definitely looking forward, to seeing that movie! On a BIG Burger-Sized Screen too, lol!

I'm hoping it catches me so off-guard, like "South Park: Bigger, Longer, Uncut" did to me, when I first saw it. Peed me pants, I did!

• 3 months later...

So currently I've seen BodiesBodiesBodies, The Beast, Fall, Nope, and The Invitation these past two months. I get free tickets because I work at the theatre in my town as a supervisor. I'm happy I didn't have to pay for The Invitation. I expected it to be bad, but in a fun way. It was really just sort of boring. It's a romantic thriller with horror elements, and maybe I'm just not really into romantic movies. 

Fall was another one that wasn't something I'd pay to see. It gave CW movie more than theatrical movie. It had good moments, but I found the twist a little predictable. The thrill of seeing two people navigate through an awful situation was definitely the draw of the film, and the characters were likable. I do feel that the perfunctory script feels that way when it tries to insert drama between the two characters, a lot of it is exposition, and isn't written in a way that made me care for what they were internally going through. 

Beast was good in a 90s-creature sort of way. It reminded me of Anaconda a lot, and I didn't mind that. The one little girl was really annoying throughout the movie, and a lot of dumb choices are made. If you can look past that, I found it very enjoyable.

Bodiesbodiesbodies was just a really fun popcorn movie. It's made by A24, but doesn't really hold much commentary on it's back which isn't a bad thing. This movie plays with the viewers, and had some excellent comedy. If you go into it expecting horror, you're going to be let down. It's more like a murder mystery with gore. 

Nope is perplexing because in some ways, I absolutely loved it. The cinematography, a lot of the commentary woven within were subtle but definitely contribute to the plot. I think my issue however isn't with any of the commentary being so subtle or even the subplots that feel a little disconnected, it's more that the third act sort of happens awkwardly. What feels like it should be the main climax of the movie, happens too early, so the finale feels like it meanders too long. I think if the ending was more figured out, I would've enjoyed this more than US but it definitely didn't give that for me.

The movie I'm looking forward to now is Don't Worry, Darling. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I was able to catch Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey this weekend. It takes itself way too seriously and didn't really know what story it wanted to tell. It had some ideas that would be good to explore in a horror movie. Just not this horror movie. As is: I almost feel as if the film would have been better without using the Winnie the Pooh IP and it was just an excuse now that it is in the public domain. And the director has plans for similar treatments with Bambi and Peter Pan? If this film is any indication, I'll pass.

• 3 weeks later...

OSCARS.jpg.9169534fdadad746b5eb1e457af17edf.jpg

Happy Academy Awards Day every body! The show starts at 5pm PST on ABC.

Our bet (and hope) is that EverythingEverywhereAllAtOnce will win big.

We've enjoyed the movie so much, we've watched it at least three times, already!

Sadly, we never got to see  the film on a BIG GI-NORMOUS SCREEN. 😢

And ...... Michelle Yeoh ROCKS! (literally, lol)

03/13 EDIT TO AD: Woo hoo! EEAAO won 7 out of 10 (2 noms for one category) possible wins! And the Amazon copy of it went "out of stock" immediately, LOL! And I wish I had bets on the other stuff too. I.E. CONGRATS to (Cdn) Sarah Polley for "Women Talking" Adapted Screenplay Win. Glad she's finally won something big, like this is. She's a very talented actor, director, writer. 👏

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So just came home from watching: The Super Mario Bros. Movie.

First impression: I really liked the movie. 

I do have some issues with the movie, there is a overuse of popular songs in the movie that really felt out of place with the Mario music, that said when it did use Mario music it was also really good even going as far as using songs I didn't expect them to use, most of the soundtrack has been really enhanced for the cinematic use that is why it bothered me whenever a popular song came. Although I did roll my eyes every time and laughed when it happened.

Also some of the voices aren't a great fit, it isn't something that gets me out of the movie but yeah it might bother some people. 

The story is a bit basic but it doesn't feel like the point of the movie, it's another Mario adventure going to fight Bowser, who is just a big goof-ball and I loved that, and safe the Mushroom Kingdom. So the movie just feels like this big fun adventure.

So like I said not everything landed for me but that said but I had fun and that's all I asked the movie to be, fun.

We just saw "Babylon" the other night. On tv.

And thankfully, not a big screen.

Honestly? A lot of everything (All At Once?<g>) thrown at the viewer. Loudly, too.

We both thought it was was just a long lengthy piece of ..... sadness. And drugs. No rock. No roll.

All in all, we are just glad we didn't pay full movie theater price, etc. A one and done movie.

And on the absurd opposite of this, we are looking forward to Margot Robbie in "Barbie". 

2 hours ago, CedarFlags said:

Has anyone made it to see Renfield with Nicholas Cage yet?  Seems like it could be amazing or terrible.

Set your expectations accordingly. I thought it was good, but not great. I wish we could have seen some of the ideas and themes taken further, but in the end, it's just a Nic Cage plays Dracula movie. Whatever you think of that will gauge your interest in the film.

• 4 months later...

^ We finally saw it, and enjoyed it, even with Cage as over the top as he can be, LOL. It was a fun different way to do a vampire film. And Awkwafina is everywhere in movies, it seems. No complaints, she's a great actress!

......And our annual queer film festival, OUT ON SCREEN just wrapped up it's 35th Season. It was a good one. But rather than repeat it all here, here's the link to all I posted...

🎥

• 5 months later...