TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

A couple recent reviews

No Time to Die: Full Disclosure: I've only ever really sat down to watch the Daniel Craig Bond films thus far. The film is long and it feels long. Rami Malek's main antagonist character felt weak compared to what he accomplishes in the film--and was even outwitted by a child. But at least it does feel final in terms of Craig's Bond tenure.

The Last Duel: An extremely well-made film, though not necessarily one I can say that I enjoyed. Nor was it really made to be enjoyed. But at the same time, I think more people should see it. Because in actuality, the film is all about the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but lies.

Halloween Kills: At least it lives up to the title. I loved how smart the original and 2018 films were. All of that is undone by a lack of communication between characters and the instability of mob mentality. Which reminds me of a line from Men In Black, "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it." And then the ending veers dangerously into Curse of Michael Myers territory that strains credibility. I was predicting that the Cult of Thorn would reenter the franchise, but as a group that idolized Michael and other such psychotics [predicted that the podcasters and Dr. Sartain from the 2018 film were members (Say Something)]. The crowd I saw the film was fun as well.

No SPOILERS

"Dune" 2021

stunning. . . with incredible visuals, incredible sound design, incredible costuming.

SO well done.   With anything confusing, explained by a character on screen near the scenes that could be confusing.

if I had to find a compliant, a minor one would be that in a few scenes it's just a tad bit too dark - so hard to tell what's going on.     but that's a minor quibble. . .

Excellent world building - even tho it's going to be wrongly compared to "Star Wars" (that film borrowed heavily from the worldbuilding in the DUNE books), it is very much reminiscent of the Scope and Scale of that first "Star Wars" film.

recommended. .and I'm only sad that now we have to wait for Part II to find out the rest of the story!

1 hour ago, michaellynn4 said:

Should I see the original movie or read the book before I watch it in order to really appreciate it, or does it stand well enough on its own? Thought about putting it on over the weekend since its on HBO Max.

I've never read the books.

and the 1984 film is unwatchable unless you are familiar.

So I say watch the new version, which explains things as it goes along. . . then, if you want, you can watch the 1984 version (which will then make sense, and fill in the rest of the story, since the 1984 version is the full story from the books, instead of stopping 1/2 way thru, as the new movie does - it's part 1 of 2).

I loved the new film so much, I then stayed up till 3am watching the 1984 version (also avail. on HBO Max).  i've never made it more than 45 minutes into the 1984 film - it's a mess. . but after seeing the new one?  I could follow the storyline, and liked it well enough (and Captain Picard is in it!). :)

On 10/23/2021 at 7:53 PM, bert425 said:

NO SPOILERS

"Dune" 2021

stunning. . . with incredible visuals, incredible sound design, incredible costuming.

SO well done.   With anything confusing, explained by a character on screen near the scenes that could be confusing.

if I had to find a compliant, a minor one would be that in a few scenes it's just a tad bit too dark - so hard to tell what's going on.     but that's a minor quibble. . .

Excellent world building - even tho it's going to be wrongly compared to "Star Wars" (that film borrowed heavily from the worldbuilding in the DUNE books), it is very much reminiscent of the Scope and Scale of that first "Star Wars" film.

recommended. .and I'm only sad that now we have to wait for Part II to find out the rest of the story!

It was also a little slow paced to start off. And as it is only the 1st half of the story, I don't necessarily agree with where it ended. Never read the books, but can those who have say if this was the best place to end part 1? 

Oh and, everyone should see it so part 2 can get made.

Saw Eternals yesterday. Kind of a weird movie. I liked it I mean they try their best to make the Eternals as human and someone you can relate to as they can and brought a very good question to my mind. But there are characters in this movie I expected more of, like Kit Harington's character, but I'm willing to accept the story isn't about that. On the other hand like I felt the movie was kind of predictable, the moment they explain the main plot I knew what was going on and what would happen, One character's choice did surprise me sort of, I expected the choice they made but figured they weren't entirely behind it. (Try to be vague here for no spoilers.) Then we have the hard introduction something never before seen in a MCU movie that kind of felt redundant at the end of the movie. But then the end really had me invested and felt very teasing and I don't mean the after credit scene here (although yeah that also had me invested.) It kind of felt more like this movie just expanded MCU lore and I kind of hope to learn more about it. 

^ Yes, finally! The announcement has popped up all over my Broadway theatre sites, etc.

Now I wonder when it's to be released? Next year's Christmas time? We'll find out soon enough. 💚

For those who don't know yet... and are planning to see Eternals ....

With NO SPOILER ALERT here, there are two more scenes during credits. One in the middle of, and one at the end of.

We're seeing it Thursday, so I was happy to find that out ahead of time, rather than playing a guessing game about it. 🎥

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There's a 20 Year Reunion coming up, with the cast of the Harry Potter films, etc.

To be broadcast on New Year's Day, 2022. With much of the entire cast, apparently.

I never read the books, but we really enjoyed the film series, from the first to the last.

That said, I wonder if Chris Columbus (Director of first one, I remember) taking it on himself, to suggest that he direct the original cast in a film version of the TONY winning Broadway play (now done in one night) "Harry Potter And The Cursed Child" ...... ? The timing is perfect, age-wise for all of them, lol. Would be cool, even for them, I'd suppose,. Reliving the parts as adults and parents..... for film.

Here's hoping.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Encanto this afternoon.

It was good, the colours were all over the place (takes place in Columbia), the musical numbers were mostly fast and furious (care of Lin Manuel-Miranda), but some times very funny and still touching. And a lot of various characters to enjoy and root for. No Spoilers here.

And oh my --- soooo many 'gifts' to get through! We were amazed that they covered pretty much every body there, whether in dialogue or a number.

A great movie, especially back on a Big Screen! 🍿🍿🍿🍿 out of five. We just enjoyed "Coco" a bit more.

P.S. We didn't see it in 3D. We saw it on a regular old, big-ass movie screen, like days before...

Encanto2021.png.ed981e857114757a26a09008222fd367.png

Still gonna get the 3D-DVD when it's released later on!

On 11/21/2021 at 8:56 PM, Nrthwnd said:

There's a 20 Year Reunion coming up, with the cast of the Harry Potter films, etc.

To be broadcast on New Year's Day, 2022. With much of the entire cast, apparently.

I never read the books, but we really enjoyed the film series, from the first to the last.

That said, I wonder if Chris Columbus (Director of first one, I remember) taking it on himself, to suggest that he direct the original cast in a film version of the TONY winning Broadway play (now done in one night) "Harry Potter And The Cursed Child" ...... ? The timing is perfect, age-wise for all of them, lol. Would be cool, even for them, I'd suppose,. Reliving the parts as adults and parents..... for film.

Here's hoping.

Yeahhh. There's zero chance of any of the cast members agreeing to do Cursed Child or anything else where JKR is involved. The only reason they're participating in the reunion thing is because JKR will only be present via archival footage; she will not be involved further than that.

Also, I read Cursed Child and it was... ugh. Not a fan.

^ Well, all JKR things considered, it would still be a hoot for them to do the film version of "Cursed Child."

I mean, they are the actual age now, in the time period the play takes place, yes?

🎭

One can always dream and hope. I haven't read any version of the play. What don't you like about it?

Well, I've only read it once, and that was when it was first released (2016), so I don't remember a whole lot. I just remember the feeling I had reading it, and that was... horror. It basically read like really bad fanfiction (like, seriously, the "bad guy" of the play feels ripped straight from TV Tropes and the main photo being used of the character makes them look like they're straight out of "My Immortal" [not the song]). It's pretty easy to find people's reviews of it online; fans who didn't like it are pretty vocal about it.

I might read it again someday. Or maybe at least the revised version if they release that, 'cause apparently they're mushing together the two parts and making it just a single play?

• Thanks 1

^ Well, I am still hoping that some touring version of it comes to town. And that's true, they have re-opened on Broadway with a mash-up of the two separate plays, into one play.

• Like 1

I always hope for any Broadway production to have a touring version, no matter what it is. I love Broadway musicals, but the only way I've gotten to enjoy any is when a movie was made of it (Phantom of the Opera; Sweeney Todd). The couple times I got to see a live production was when I had student discount tickets in college for the touring versions. Got to see Shrek and Beauty & the Beast. They were great! I wish more shows would tour.

• Like 1

^ Well, one way or the other, we've been very lucky in seeing several movies over these past weeks.

And with Broadway "getting back to work," I am sure touring shows will pick up as we go along.

Our first touring show will be "Anastasia" in mid-January. And eventually "Hamilton" in late spring.

By the way, our current "Films Seen List" is: Encanto, Ghostbusters/Afterlife, Eternals, Dune, Ron's Gone Wrong, No Time To Die, The Green Knight, Dear Evan Hansen, Free Guy .... The French Dispatch (this Thurs.) and West Side Story (next Thur.) ....  that's it for what we've seen and plan to see before the year's out.

📽️

Am very excited, as this might be the last first run movie we see, before "the New Year" begins. Nonetheless....

"West Side Story" newly directed by Steven Spielberg (his first movie musical!) and Tony Kushner ("Angels in America" scribe) involved .....

...and I myself, played Riff in a 1977 production of the musical, at Theatre In The Park, Vancouver.

Gotta love LIVE theater, y'know? We had to see this one, especially with all we knew were parts of it's re-creation.

GO Rita Moreno! And a LOT of Broadway artists involved on screen, too!

WestSideStory2021.png.751dc653ab84b024a4a76fd33d02ef56.png

Mr. Spielberg, and his WSS cast. And (TRIVIA!) 'Bernardo' on the left there? It's David Alveraz,

who won The TONY for Lead Actor/Musical, with his two companions of "Billy Elliot"... a three-way First! :omg:

I just got back from seeing Spider-Man: No Way Home. Very mild spoilers:

Putting this part first to try and bump the actual review part being displayed in the side bar of the forums. First of all, in these corona times don't wait with the crowd, leave after the first post-credits. The after the credits is Doctor Strange 2's trailer so I'm sure that will hit YouTube in a couple of weeks. There's not even anything spoilery in the trailer for them to hold off for it to be after the credits.

About the movie, I think people who love Marvel films because of the 'it's all connected' ideology will really love this. It has a lot of easter eggs and references for a lot of things and unlike previous movies it does feel like they're now starting to incorporate the TV side of things now DIsney+ is around with fun references and Easter Eggs before Dr Strange 2 goes fully in on incorporating the Disney+ plots into the films.

One grown man behind me was weeping hard in this movie at some inspirational points (Which annoyingly made him the one person in a packed cinema who pulled off their mask). I mostly check out these movies because they're fun over the connections so I'm not as invested as that but still had a good time. It's definitely a love letter to Spider-Man and feels like an end to his trilogy. Considering each one has been Spidey teaming up with an MCU father figure, it'll be interesting to see what happens next, it does feel like Sony have left the door open for more MCU films but also at a point where it can be just a Spider-Man movie on its own than trying to mold into the MCU movie formula if that makes sense.

However, I know a lot has been said about who or won't be in it, and I won't ruin that here, but I kind of think trying to keep all the plot secret worked against the movie a little bit. It pulls you out of the movie a little bit because there's a bit of your brain keep waiting for something that may or may not happen. A lot of the movie does play out how you would expect if you've seen the trailers so people should check their expectations a little. There weren't many gasps or applauses in my screening and it was a first showing so full of big Marvel fans, so it seems the movie was playing out as much as they expected.

I had a blast with this movie overall but I think weirdly this is a movie I will enjoy more on a second time when I can just enjoy the story instead of wondering where/if the next reveal will come from.

Mild-ish spoilery last comment:

There was one moment I would have actually probably gasped in surprise at it being included if Marvel themselves hadn't dropped major hints in recent interviews. However Spider-Man did release here 2 days earlier than the USA and Korea just got Disney+ so I'm a bit backdated on the TV side of things. One of my friends who has watched everything in order said that anyone who is completely up to date with all the TV side will probably expect it when they see the movie on Friday and won't see it as a spoiler like I did.

• Like 1

Just came home from Spider-man. I will say normally I try to be spoiler free but I will address rumors, not if they did or did not happen just rumors in general.

So this movie had a lot of rumors, and as Garet touched on they might impact your viewing pleasures as things happen. I tried to stay away from them but in the end a lot of youtubers I watch on a regular bases just kept going on and on about them that I didn't escape all of them. I tried to keep an open mind with all of them tough and to dose who are going to watch it  and heard them, don't over-hype yourself please, the biggest enemy with rumors and expectations is yourself.

Going to the movie itself, I really enjoyed it. It was great seeing Peter really struggle with the additional damage of being a superhero. All I want now is a sequel to explain stuff while at the same time having a perfect out. I don't know how the whole Marvel (Disney) Sony deal is at this point but I hope they don't leave one thing hanging like they did with the leader plot-line in the Hulk.

• Like 1

We just saw West Side Story, yesterday. Having seen the 1961 original on the big screen (for me it was 1972 in The Ginza, Tokyo/Japan!), and actually performed on stage as RIFF, in one of my 2 professional contracts, with Theatre In The Park/Under The Stars. The other was Fiddler on The Roof in 1975, as Perchik.

I was taken how Speilberg managed to really make Bernstein's musical score ebb and flow, with totally new ways of presenting it visually. And I know that Stephen Sondheim was in on the production, before his untimely passing. And knowing most of the leads,  as known NY stage actors, even though they are not 'household names' blah blah, they were all incredible singers and actors AND dancers! And the awesome group choreography ..... SWOON. I intend to get the soundtrack, soon. Promise.

Do I really need to say SPOILER ALERT? ... Oh look. I just did. 😁

But the really nice Big Surprise is Rita Moreno as part of this revival of the classic film.  Not saying any more but - this woman needs to be NOMINATED for an OSCAR as "Best Supporting Actress in a Film" ....fini. What  number was usually played onstage as a big dream-y dance number, which finishes with a re-enactment of (what I called) "The Rumble-Death Ballet", became a solitary musical plea for good to finally conquer all.

It's an amazing Original Performance by Moreno, the original 1961 Anita. She deserves the nomination, at least. 👏

P.S. The camera work really took me by surprise. Huge crowd scenes, interplayed with close up shots, all usually to the soundtrack of.... brilliant work. Honestly, I will say that this film worked somehow a lot better for me, than Les Miserables did.

• 4 weeks later...

"We have got a vaccine that we think will work in a preventative way"

"All those receiving shots of the new vaccine are being issued these plastic identity cards. Viewers are urged not to leave their homes unless absolutely necessary, and are reminded that if they do, they must carry their vaccine cards with them."

Those quotes are from David Cronenberg's 1977 film "Rabid" which I am currently watching. I just couldn't help but notice their resemblance to current events.