TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

Just saw: Jungle Book.

I didn't know what to expect and went to this movie just because the animated movie is part of my childhood. Wow was I surprised by this movie, I liked it a lot, really needed that after that last theater experience. I liked the voice actors they picked, none felt wrong in my eye's. For the song(s) I was a big afraid but they married so well with the movie. But anyway I was pleasantly surprised by this movie.

... Zach Snyder is probably the worst director working today. And that's saying a lot with Michael Bay still aborting movies in his own horrible way....

I put more blame on David S. Goyer over Zach Snyder. Let's look at Goyer's written filmography (Only him, Excluding films with additional writers)

Nick Fury- Agents Of Shield

The Crow 2

Blade 1-3

The Unborn

Man Of Steel

Not a super strong track record.

Zach Snyder is probably the worst director working today. And that's saying a lot with Michael Bay still aborting movies in his own horrible way....

I actually thought the directing was the highlight of the film. Zach Snyder did a great job setting the tone IMHO. I feel like the writers and actors should be blamed more than him.

Just saw: Jungle Book.

I didn't know what to expect and went to this movie just because the animated movie is part of my childhood. Wow was I surprised by this movie, I liked it a lot, really needed that after that last theater experience. I liked the voice actors they picked, none felt wrong in my eye's. For the song(s) I was a big afraid but they married so well with the movie. But anyway I was pleasantly surprised by this movie.

I'm finding that when Disney starts playing around with live versions (w/CGI/w-o) of their original animated films, they have come up with some pretty good movies. I was hesitant about The Jungle Book. I have never been here or there about the animated original. Don't think I ever saw it in it's entirety, either. But this one. I have slowly been teased into a possible interest in it...

We may see it next week. Stay tuned.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys just came home from Captain America Civil War.

Yes its out here and I went and I'm kind off searching for the right words wich allow me to post my thoughts without swearing, because just to say I thought I liked it or it was good doesn't feel as enough.

Long time fans of the MCU you are in for a treat, they promised a MCU changing movie and they delivered I can even see this ego into a Phase 4. Marvel shows once again they can make a good movie in wich you care for each character, Each motivation each side made sense to me. I expected a very Cap driven movie but no it's just as much an Iron Man movie. And the End really hits all the right strings.

But lets talk about the newcomers to the MCU.

Black Panther: Very interesting character, liked him very much and can't wait to explore him further in his stand alone movie.

Spider-Man: Wow, his role should have been much bigger. I really love the kid and I can't wait to see the new Spider-Man movie. He's a really unique in the MCU. But lets talk behind the scenes a bit, I really hope this Sony Marvel deal leads to a Fox Marvel deal, hopeful for the future.

Truly Marvel's darkest movie so far. I really can't wait to explore all characters after this movie.

And I can't help myself, but this is what I hoped BvS was. I'm glad there was at least one of these movies that leaved me captivated. Sorry but this is how I feel.

We saw The Huntsman: Charlize Theron Smolders.

It was long. Lots of effects. Hemsworth still looks hot.

But. Why? Just to get Theron into a pre-quel? Best thing in it was Emily Blunt.

But she could only smolder for so long, etc.

"Money makes the world go around, the world go around, the world "

Done. 5/10 for us.

Really liked Civil War but I honestly feel like people citing it as best Marvel movie ever are over-reacting. It was a lot of fun, the 2 and a half hours passed by without me ever thinking the movie was dragging, and I got pretty much what I was expecting and it was definitely worth the price of admission especially the middle act. It seemed a bit more generic than some of the others films but the action was fantastic. It's a top 5 for me for sure but I still honestly think I would pick GotG and Winter Soldier over this. Probably because of my low expectations when I went into GotG and how surprised I was at how much I enjoyed it. After Winter Soldier I was probably going in with way too high expectations to this one.

*mild spoilers* I felt kind of a little let down by the big bad's plot, it just felt like one of those plans which falls apart way too much when you pick at the logic and I just felt like the movie played it very safe throughout and with Tony throwing away the suit in IM3 even though we knew Ultron was coming and Hawkeye retiring in that one to come back here, I'm kind of over the we've changed the status quo endings that will just be undone in the next with a passing remark. At least the ending of IM3 was acknowledged in this one.

Went and saw Jungle Book this week. Great movie. The young actor playing Mowgli was really amazing

with what he had to work with, green screens, etc. and all. And good writing for the lines, too!

But the thing that kind of irked me, was the sudden, Let's Do A Major Number with Christopher Walken as a HUGE Orangutan, etc.etc....

The "Bear Necessities" number was a nice homage to the original. But this number. Totally out of place, and he should have stayed being

creepy and eventually... frightening as he should be.

So... 8/10 for us.

Would have been an easy 9.5 if "that number" wasn't in it

Edited by Nrthwnd

^

Those were pretty much my same thoughts on The Jungle Book. Well-acted with top-notch CGI and visuals, but the orangutan number did not fit in very well.

Saw Captain America: Civil War last night, this might just be the best Marvel Cinematic Universe film to date. The film felt very mature for a superhero film, and it explored multiple themes more deeply than most other Marvel films. Well-written with some clever dialogue. Strong acting by everyone, with especially great performances from the newcomers: Chadwick Boseman was very good as Black Panther, and Tom Holland might just be the best Spider-Man to date. Special effects mostly look good and never got in the way of the story. Aside from a few pacing issues in the first half, it was a great show. Would definitely recommend.

^ RE: Jungle Book, I would have loved to have seen bloopers in the credits,

with the kid and the green screens, etc. That would have been a fun extra.

Zach Snyder is probably the worst director working today. And that's saying a lot with Michael Bay still aborting movies in his own horrible way....

I actually thought the directing was the highlight of the film. Zach Snyder did a great job setting the tone IMHO. I feel like the writers and actors should be blamed more than him.

The movie certainly looked good, so Snyder deserves credit for that.

As for "tone"? It was completely wrong for who these characters are. Superman, in no comic book iteration, was brooding and angry. And Batman plowing through buildings and shooting random henchman isn't very Batman-y. Isn't that kind of destruction the whole reason Batman wants to kill Superman in the first place?

And don't even get me started about the dumb introduction of other Justice League characters as we watch WW clicking on the internet. It's always good to stop the action 2/3rds of the way through to show someone clicking links on the internet. Quality pacing right there. That scene did not thing for the plot; it was put in to tease the new characters for future movies. Is it supposed to be a good movie, or is it a marketing ploy A good editor scraps that scene and probably several others (like those dumb Batman dream sequences?) and get that monstrosity closer to 2 hours than 3.

It was a mess. That's on the director. The actors did all they could with the weak screenplay and horrible pacing....

Angry Birds is the gayest movie ever

Money Monster was a really enjoyable thriller till the final five minutes and than has an unsatisfactory ending

X Men Apocalypse is a huge bore of a film, lacking sense , homour and Bryan Singer along with Zac Sydner should never be allowed to direct or write another film again

Florence Jenkins Forster, Streep is a pure joy as always, when she first starts to sing is one of the funniest things I've seen in a while, but sadly the film misses something

X Men Apocalypse is a huge bore of a film, lacking sense , homour and Bryan Singer along with Zac Sydner should never be allowed to direct or write another film again

I was actually just about to say I quite enjoyed it (especially given the mediocre reviews). I found it definitely better than the last stand and while not a great film I thought it was enjoyable.

Four of the five X-Men movies (not counting either Wolverine stand-alone, of which I liked neither) were really good, and I never read comics. And even the other one (which is The Last Stand for me) was at least average. And the last two with McCoy, Fassbender, and Lawrence (as the young Charles, Magneto, and Mystique) are both really great.

I liked all of them better than either Thor movie, any Fantastic Four movie, any Hulk movie, and every Spiderman movie since 2 (the Toby McGuire one w/Doc Ock).

I think all 3 Captain America movies, most parts of the 3 Iron Man movies, and both Avengers movies are great (yes, I really liked Age of Ultron).

Other than those, I also loved Guardians, Ant-Man, and Deadpool. And can't wait for Doctor Strange.

So Marvel-based movies are batting like .700 for me. And I grew up reading few comics, and the superhero ones I did read were all DC....

Alice : Looking Glass

How can a movie about wonder be so devoid of it!

That was the problem with the 2010 film as well. Plus the 2010 film was supposed to be a sequel because Alice returns to wonderland. Now this new movie is yet another sequel but has the sequel title of the book. What a mess.

^It's not great but I wouldn't call it bad either. I mean, it's not like I usually leave a superhero movie saying: "Wow that was a great film!" apart from one or two batmans maybe. Having watched civil war recently and how amazing its reviews were makes me wonder why this is getting such poor reviews as I honestly felt they weren't so different (in terms of entertaining you which is what these pictures do). Yes the villain is a bit of a cliché but does it matter that much? (and I feel like I'm not getting much better in all these superhero movies coming out lately) Maybe it helps that I generally enjoy these X-men films a little more than the rest (generally speaking) but I think it's fun to watch.

Yeah, the new X-Men isn't one of the best in the series, but it's not one of the worst either.

It's still a lot of fun, and Quicksilver is a gas every time he's on screen.

And I saw Angry Birds with my son, and it's completely pointless and unfunny...

Saw Warcraft last night.

Looking at it as a movie it's great, good action scenes good plot and promise for a immersvie movie universe as the MCU (not the same style but a movie universe that could be told from different people.) I can see sequels if they're done the same.

But if you love the game's and feel like that lore is absolute you might be either mixed or hate the movie. I know the lore and could see so much wrong but my brother who watched it with me knows every detail of the story and had trouble looking neutral to it, he too liked the movie but was like: "so much things wrong so wrong."

So summed up if you're looking at it as a movie you will be entertained, if you're looking to know the true Warcraft lore you're going to have a bad time.

Saw Warcraft last night.

Looking at it as a movie it's great, good action scenes good plot and promise for a immersvie movie universe as the MCU (not the same style but a movie universe that could be told from different people.) I can see sequels if they're done the same.

But if you love the game's and feel like that lore is absolute you might be either mixed or hate the movie. I know the lore and could see so much wrong but my brother who watched it with me knows every detail of the story and had trouble looking neutral to it, he too liked the movie but was like: "so much things wrong so wrong."

So summed up if you're looking at it as a movie you will be entertained, if you're looking to know the true Warcraft lore you're going to have a bad time.

So what I take from this review is that Warcraft is awful and should be avoided at all costs unless you are the hugest WOW geek ever. And even then, those nerds may still hate it.

Good to know. Also good to know that most critics also seem to agree that it is a huge piece of crap....

TPR was recently invited out to a special sneak preview of Finding Dory!

Finding Dory takes place a year after the events of Finding Nemo with Dory, Marlin and Nemo setting out to find Dory's parents. The journey eventually takes them to a Seaworld-esque marine park where the majority of the movie takes place. It's basically a huge adventure from exhibit to exhibit trying to find Dory's parents.

I will say Finding Dory is definitely a win for Pixar! It's high paced and fun while also having it's classic emotional Pixar moments. Going into this movie I was sort of thinking that giving a side character their own film wouldn't translate well. (i.e. Minions) However, they did a great job making Dory an interesting character that can hold her own as the main protagonist. Another huge pro is the new side characters introduced in this movie were really great as well, such as Hank the Ocutupus who begrudgingly helps Dory navigate through the park.

This movie really does have something for everyone. While I feel like Inside Out had a lot of themes and jokes that adults got but went over a lot kid's heads; Finding Dory does a great job mixing emotional moments with jokes that most kids will enjoy.

The only issue I'd have with the movie is parts of it do feel rushed such as the beginning and end. Towards the beginning it feels like they're moving the plot forward way too quickly and the ending does feel a bit abrupt.

In the end, I will say Finding Dory is a very fun Pixar movie that does the original justice while distancing itself enough to take the story to new and interesting places. Definitely worth checking out!

1612368259_findingdory56e083961b31d(1).thumb.jpg.e8d9568675b88c039f2b902f60acc2b8.jpg

Poster!

findingdory574e15723135c.jpg.4e0bed47e4c3ecc4b5bef793984e4b2c.jpg

Hank and Dory!

findingdory574e15725e71a.jpg.ae8100dbe447b2ae19ed12879d2f8c5e.jpg

The Sea Lions, pretty much this movie's version of the pelicans from Finding Nemo.

findingdory574e15727d30c.jpg.a134a4bfd68f355b56762ea35e80709d.jpg

findingdory574e1574940c8.jpg.84502312197fb7c78115431441689eed.jpg

Hank and Dory finding their way around the aquarium.

findingdory575a3fb7d4ef8.jpg.5a867d82ca64a6a400db38ae4ad45ac8.jpg

Dory's parents!