TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

I caught The Revenant today, and while I think it's a very well made movie, it's more an endurance test than "entertainment."

I was afraid of that. I also think the Academy would give it best Picture, Director, and Supporting Actor and skip right over Leo.

I'd give it the award for best cinematography, but that's about it.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw Hail, Ceasar, the new Coen brothers' flick, last night and enjoyed it; however, I think knowing a little about what was going on in Hollywood back in the 1950s would improve one's enjoyment of the picture. How many people under the age of 50 would understand a "Norman Taurog/Danny Kaye" joke? Taurog was a director whose career spanned from the 1920s until 1968 (he directed a lot of Elivs Presley movies in the '60s); he also directed Boys Town (nominated for Best Picture in 1938) and worked on The Wizard of Oz. I imagine most of you have a vague idea of who Danny Kaye was.

We saw ROOM last week.

Very intense film. And I totally understand the actress playing 'mom' to get an Oscar nom.

She was a-mazing to us. And we felt the boy playing her son should have gotten a nomination, too.

He did get an award from SAG (I believe) for it's "Newcomer Award", or something like that.

And unless you know why the story starts the way it does, I think several audience members

would be quite shocked at what the 'situation' is. We were kind of surprised that they actually

revealed the face of the villain, and thought they might keep him off-camera more. But they

didn't, and it was okay.

It's an easy rental to be sure. But David wanted to see it on the screen before the Oscars. So we did.

We're seeing Hail Caesar this week. It's by the Coens, so hopefully, it's a good one.

Just Deadpool. Yup this was awesome.

But first had some fears going in this, not going to lie:

- I'm no fan of the X-Man movie's (not my thing) so I hoped Deadpool would be a bit of a stand-alone movie that referenced the X-Man universe without content I wouldn't get, it did well on that part got all references some where pretty clever.

- 4th wall breaking always is something in a movie, but they did it perfect.

- R-rating, no I didn't wish this was a PG-13 movie from the beginning I was scared that could do without the R rating. If you rate R go big or go home, they went big.

Overall this movie flowed well, wished more Superheroes did their Origin like this. Jokes hit, action was good. But one of the best parts the opening title, awesome shot and sets the mood.

It wasn't perfect but I enjoyed the movie a lot. Go watch it is my advice.

We just came back from seeing Hail, Caesar!, the newest movie from the Coens.

It was funny, very subtle, bizarre twist (we felt) when Our Hero ends up at "the home

by the ocean's shores". Was not what we were expecting, when revealed. That was fun.

Everybody is good in whatever sized part they got. I think Josh Brolin was excellent in

the lead part of Mannix, head of the movie studio. It could even be an Oscar nom next year,

for this role.

And Channing Tatum leads the most strange musical number, we've ever seen.

It was fun. Nothing learned from it. But that's okay. 8/10

I'm weird with movies. I have a collection of films that I watch repeatedly. The last "new" movie I watched was a decade ago. Most of my favorites are from the 70's-80's. Early John Waters, cheesy 80's horror, off-beat indie films. I would rather watch my favorite movies 100 times than watch a new movie.

The Revenant was decent. Leo's performance and the cinematography were the only things about the film that were excellent, though. The storyline was fine, but the film just felt like it could've been a half hour shorter. It had some exciting moments, but there was lots of time in between them. I zoned out a lot. I'd probably give it a solid B+.

Leo deserves an Oscar and so does Emmanuel Lubezki. Alejandro González Iñárritu should get one as well. I don't see it winning Best Picture though.

Honestly, The Martian was the best film of 2015 in my opinion, but there's no way it wins. Spotlight seems to be the front-runner. Oh well.

I think Josh Brolin was excellent in

the lead part of Mannix, head of the movie studio. It could even be an Oscar nom next year,

for this role.

I thought Brolin was very good in the part, even though the character is a very whitewashed version of Eddie Mannix, who was much more ruthless in real life. Doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the movie, though,

Ever wonder how long Bill Murray’s character was stuck in ‘Groundhog Day’ for?

Well a film blog has worked it out for you: 33 years and 350 days.

Every year on February 2, the town of Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania celebrates Groundhog Day – the annual celebration based around a prophetic rodent’s ability to foresee the early arrival of spring. The tradition was popularised by the 1993 film of the same name starring Bill Murray as sardonic TV weatherman Phil Connors, fated to repeat the same day in Punxsutawney over and over again.

WhatCulture.com worked just how long Phil Connors spent in limbo. Amazingly, the torturous time equates to repeating the same day 12,395 times.

Director and fellow ‘Ghostbuster’ Harold Ramis originally stated that he thought Murray’s character had been stuck in Punxsutawney for ten years, however in 2009 he admitted the estimate was far too short.

“It takes at least 10 years to get good at anything,” said Ramis, “and allotting for the down time and misguided years he spent, it had to be more like 30 or 40 years.”

Here's the full article: https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/post/138488740346/how-long-was-bill-murray-stuck-in-groundhog-day

Murray.jpg.208444f08926db30fdbc0997a1b0a669.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It's the day of the RAZZIE Awards!

For the "Worst of Everything in Films".

Worst Film, Actor, Actress, Director, Screenplays, etc.

Followed tomorrow, by what else? The Academy Awards.

The Best Razzies ever, was when Sandra Bullock won Worst Actress for something forgettable.

But, she shows up at the Razzies to pick up the trophy, and throws out copies of the

forgettable movie she was in, from a wheelbarrow, to the crowd. It was awesome to watch!

Then, the next day, she picks up the Oscar for Best Actress in a film...

Razzies.jpg.be068dcf0c3dde7788b5d57773713b60.jpg

This avatar is dedicated to

Sandra Bullock. A true class act.

The Revenant: Amazing. I don't get why people don't like it as much as I do. I didn't find it boring at all and didn't mind the slow pace in the middle of the movie. All of the actors were amazing, especially Leo and Tom Hardy. And of course, the cinematography was beautiful. Overall, I'd give it an 9/10.

Hail Caesar: I thought it was really funny, but all the plot lines that never tied together really bothered me. The movie barely had a plot and was more like a bunch of sketches that shared a central theme. Of course, the writing from the Coens was superb, along with the acting. I'd give it a 7.5/10.

DeadPool

It was great, and we laughed at all the bricks it threw at X-Men, in general.

And at itself, with the broken 4th wall, being very cool to use in some scenes.

Lots of action, lots of gore, lots of views of our lovely Vancouver Viaduct,

where it was all filmed in two days! And not full days, but just several hours.

We were amazed how much happened in the sequence/scene(s), on the

"out Viaduct" from the city itself. Very cool to see all of it, finally.

9/10

We had a lot of fun, and Ryan Reynolds was great in the roll. And

everybody else was great too, actually. It was fun, graphic,

bad dialogue, and cheesy stuff galore!

^ "Deadpool" was awesome!!!

Stay away from "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny", especially if you loved the original "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon".

The fight scenes, while decent, really lacked the acrobatic and imaginative style of the original. Characters weren't fleshed-out and lacked any kind of emotion attachment (to each other AND the audience). Sets were cheap looking and some of the backgrounds looked suspiciously painted or computer generated. The story itself was a bit generic, almost rehashing the original movie at several points.

I really like Michelle Yoeh, but this clearly wasn't one of her good movies. And more annoying, it didn't even look as if she was trying.

Gave this movie 1-star on Netflix.

^ & ^^ I knew nothing about Deadpool until all the comic-book fans went nuts when the movie was announced. I enjoyed it, particularly for the character of Deadpool himself (not so much for the story).

^ & ^^ I knew nothing about Deadpool until all the comic-book fans went nuts when the movie was announced. I enjoyed it, particularly for the character of Deadpool himself (not so much for the story).

I loved the movie and have no idea what the story was...

I need some advice here... has anyone here seen Gods of Egypt yet? I'm planning to see it with my buddy on Sunday, and the online reviews say it's pretty sucky. I'm actually pretty partial to bad movies (I thought Fantastic Four was OKAY), but was it actually as bad as people say?

Did you like Wrath of the Titans? I'd say it's probably about on-par with those.

I need some advice here... has anyone here seen Gods of Egypt yet? I'm planning to see it with my buddy on Sunday, and the online reviews say it's pretty sucky. I'm actually pretty partial to bad movies (I thought Fantastic Four was OKAY), but was it actually as bad as people say?

Wait till it comes out on Netflix. Don't pander to the stupid drivel Hollywood likes to spew out by buying a ticket. While it would be nice to see something on the big screen about the Egyptian mythology, Hollywood's treatment of all the different mythologies has been really crappy over the past number of years--which is a real crime because they are full of wonderful and interesting stories.

I do like watching the occasionally bad movie, but I usually wait till they show up on Netflix or such. That way I can get hammered watching them. They are so much more fun drunk.