TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

I got a chance to see Into the Woods again today, and I liked it a lot better the second time around. Yes, the final act does seem to drag on a bit too long, but overall the movie is awesome. The music is great, the production design is amazing, and the cast is spectacular. The first time I saw it I really had to go to the bathroom so sitting through the ending was just plain agony (pun intended ). This time, I actually got to enjoy the film, and I like it a lot more now.

Decided to give "Birdman" a watch. It's...interesting to say the least. Don't know about it being "Best Picture" material though. I mean, it wasn't bad but it was missing something and I can't quite place my finger on it.

I will say though the cinematography was pretty cool though and Michael Keaton put on an amazing performance. Overall, I say "Birdman" is worth a rental.

I would have to agree with this. I saw Birdman last week and I thought the cinematography and acting were great, but the plot was stupid and the characters in the movie were really un-likable. It definitely didn't deserve best picture at the Oscars. My only explaination is the Oscar voting committee loved it because Hollywood loves movies about actors. I definitely think Boyhood should have won instead based on the nominees not because it was the best storyline, but because how it was made. It took 12 years to make and was really well done.

^ I completely disagree about Boyhood. Although being filmed over twelve years was cool, that was the only thing really going for it. I wasn't a fan of the plot for the most part, especially the ending. I know it's supposed to be about the kid's life, but I really don't like it when I can predict most of the plot. Maybe I just had different expectations going into it. I will say that Patricia Arquette deserved her Oscar for her work. Even if her character wasn't the greatest, she pulled it off perfectly.

I saw Cinderella the other day and thought it was really good! I liked that it was similar to the cartoon version, and not a prequel or anything like that. I thought the actors/actresses were really good as well.

Watched "Birdman" over the weekend...

Fantastic. Simply one of the most unique and innovative movies I've seen...the performances, the story, the characters, the cinematography, the score, etc. were all perfectly executed and combined to make one of the most brilliant, engaging and witty movies I've seen in a long time...I cannot express my love for this movie with these simple words, and it TOTALLY deserved its Best Picture win

Also...Oscars should be based on best storyline...Boyhood had a storyline? That's news!!!

Saw Cinderalla today, enjoyed it more than I though I would, loved Cate. I think its time for Disney to make a villains movie!

Also caught Home and Shawn The Sheep, Home kinda lacked, nothing wrong with it, but nothing special either. Shawn The Sheep on the other hand, loved, loved, loved it, if I had a bean I would have flicked it!

I caught It Follows today and thought it was essentially a mash up of Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13 (in that characters who have sex are stalked very slowly by a largely "invisible" monster). Not a bad horror flick, although I thought the inevitable "showdown" was a bit anti-climatic.

Managed to catch a few movies lately:

Cinderella - agree with the praise for this one. Excellent adaptation of a classic, with the potential to be as timeless as the animated film. Cate Blanchett a definite standout as the stepmother, although I thought Helena Bonham Carter was nicely reserved in her portrayal of the fairy godmother.

A Most Violent Year - liked this more that I'd expected. Great slow burn of a movie that doesn't play down to the audience at all.

Selma - good movie, although perhaps a little paint by numbers in spots. David Oyelowo should have received an Oscar nomination at least for his performance. Definitely made me think that even though there's more work to be done, racial attitudes have changed for the better tremendously in the last fifty years.

Inherent Vice - pretty good film. Plot is tricky to follow and the movie would probably benefit from editing out 20 minutes of the more soporific scenes. That said the dialogue is very well written and there are some great characters. Will make you feel like you're stoned without having to actually be so.

Chappie - it's not District 9, but still a decent movie. Easy to forget the robot is CGI, and the overall story is very well done. But sadly the robot is the only character that exhibits any growth throughout the film, and everyone else is far too one-note to be believable. There are also a number of alarmingly bad haircuts, not least Hugh Jackman's mullet.

Recently was able to watch two more of this year's BP noms: Whiplash and The Theory of Everything

Whiplash was absolutely phenomenal...the performances, the music, the editing...everything was incredible...EXTREMELY close second behind Birdman for my #1 of 2014

The Theory of Everything was...bad...Redmayne gave a solid physical performance, but the writing in this movie is absolutely horrendous...rather than giving us a nice in-depth account of Stephen Hawking, it skates the surface on various Hawking topics, exploring an uninteresting and generic romance as the main point as opposed to his scientific findings or his disease (very prominent, but not well-told). The lighting in this movie is also atrocious...oh gosh, why does everything have to be so bright whenever there is an ounce of sunshine? It's really annoying and ugly. My least favorite of the BP noms from this past year (still need to see Imitation Game)

• 2 weeks later...
Thinking of seeing insurgent today. Is it any good? I've read all the books.

I thought it was good. I kind of liked it better than the first. I never read the books, but my cousin who did said it's pretty different from the books.

I absolutely loved the latest Star Wars trailer and am REALLY excited to see the movie. Also loved The Hateful Eight teaser...so excited to see one of my favorite director's new project

The Batman v. Superman trailer was...underwhelming...it's interesting for sure, but I'm not overly excited or anything...I'm more excited for Ben Affleck's fourth directing effort over his Batman movie...

I was a little concerned about Star Wars after the first teaser came out, but with the second one I'm convinced that it's going to be a quality film. While it may not be the best Star Wars movie (let's face it, Empire Strikes Back would be difficult to top), it should put the fears of a second Prequel Trilogy to rest. It's definitely my most anticipated movie of 2015.

Batman vs. Superman, on the other hand...well, I was disappointed by Man of Steel and this trailer hasn't increased my interest in the DC Cinematic Universe. I hope I'm wrong, but I could see the DC Cinematic Universe end up being a failure if the quality doesn't improve.

Recently was able to watch two more of this year's BP noms: Whiplash and The Theory of Everything

Whiplash was absolutely phenomenal...the performances, the music, the editing...everything was incredible...EXTREMELY close second behind Birdman for my #1 of 2014

The Theory of Everything was...bad...Redmayne gave a solid physical performance, but the writing in this movie is absolutely horrendous...rather than giving us a nice in-depth account of Stephen Hawking, it skates the surface on various Hawking topics, exploring an uninteresting and generic romance as the main point as opposed to his scientific findings or his disease (very prominent, but not well-told). The lighting in this movie is also atrocious...oh gosh, why does everything have to be so bright whenever there is an ounce of sunshine? It's really annoying and ugly. My least favorite of the BP noms from this past year (still need to see Imitation Game)

I saw both of these movies recently and liked them both better than Birdman. Whiplash was a lot more entertaining than what would be expected of it based on its description. But if I were giving the Best Picture Oscar, I'd probably give it to the not-nominated Interstellar.

Went to see Avengers: Age Of Ultron tonight. Pretty similar to the last one, not really better or worse, still a fun film with great action sequences. It's a Marvel superhero flick that will make a billion bucks before lunch. So you know what to expect, that said I liked the story more than their previous effort.

Went to see Avengers: Age Of Ultron tonight. Pretty similar to the last one, not really better or worse, still a fun film with great action sequences. It's a Marvel superhero flick that will make a billion bucks before lunch. So you know what to expect, that said I liked the story more than their previous effort.

Did you sit through the credits? With all the talk of fake endings on youtube just wondering how much I have to sit around for? Is it just one mid-credits scene or is there a post-credits scene? I know the director said there wasn't but wouldn't be the first time he lied