TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

Saw Kingsman: The Secret Service yesterday, and I liked it. Not my favorite spy movie, but not the worst one either. Pretty good acting all-around. Samuel L. Jackson did a great job as the villain. The storyline was decent, and there were a few funny and entertaining moments here and there. I'd recommend it if you're into spy/action movies.

Saw Jupiter Ascending lasy week.

Very over the top with the plot and storyline, but...

Awesome effects (I want those boots!) and whole design of it.

And Mila Kunis still surprises me, all this time after That 70s Show.

Not a bad film, definitely worth seeing on the big screen. 7/10

Since the Oscars are tonight, I decided to give "Boyhood" a watch.

I honestly thought it was an amazing film. It had the most heart of any of the Best Picture nominees I watched (Grand Budapest Hotel and Birdman were the other two). Probably one of my favorite movies to come out in a long time. As a teenager living with divorced parents, I was able to relate to the film in lots of ways, and a lot of the fears or challenges tackled in the movie are ones I've had to deal with myself. I am hoping it beats out Birdman tonight, but it's chances of winning seem to be getting smaller and smaller.

On a side note, I watched Birdman a few days ago and enjoyed it. It wasn't the OMFG amazing movie everyone seems to be making it out to be. I mean, the storyline wasn't anything special. Keaton deserves the Best Actor award, though. In the end though, I enjoyed both Boyhood and Grand Budapest Hotel more than Birdman.

^I had heard Boyhood was boring but I think I'll give it a shot.

As for Birdman, I actually really enjoyed it, thought it was very entertaining. The cast was incredible, Edward Norton gave one of my favorite performances ever in what I thought was a great, great character. Keaton and Stone were also incredible. The one-shot gimmick also worked very well I thought, and gave the movie a certain life to it that I thought was unique. The biggest problem with it, to me, was how it was a little ham-fisted in its message (Emma Stone's pretty unrealistic rant for instance) and the fact that its Oscar campaign is hypocritical considering the message of the movie. But other than that I really enjoyed it. On my list of best movies, I put it under Silence of the Lambs and above American Beauty.

^Rosamund Pike's performance was really good. I can't say she deserved the oscar as I didn't watch the films with the other nominees but I thought it was great.

Since the Oscars are tonight, I decided to give "Boyhood" a watch.

I honestly thought it was an amazing film. It had the most heart of any of the Best Picture nominees I watched (Grand Budapest Hotel and Birdman were the other two). Probably one of my favorite movies to come out in a long time. As a teenager living with divorced parents, I was able to relate to the film in lots of ways, and a lot of the fears or challenges tackled in the movie are ones I've had to deal with myself. I am hoping it beats out Birdman tonight, but it's chances of winning seem to be getting smaller and smaller.

On a side note, I watched Birdman a few days ago and enjoyed it. It wasn't the OMFG amazing movie everyone seems to be making it out to be. I mean, the storyline wasn't anything special.

That was also my opinion. As to Keaton deserving the oscar, I don't know. I thought it was a real shame that Jake Gyllenhaal wasn't nominated as his performance on NightCrawler was the best I saw this year (in my opinion)

Looks like I might be dragged to see The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel this weekend. Guess I ought to watch The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel first.

I liked the first one and the reviews from the second one have been very good.

How can you go wrong with Dame's Maggie Smith and Judi Dench?

Edit - funny that M^ggie word filters to Magnum!

Saw Kingsmen last week. Great movie! Certainly filled with a lot of loud, intense action

throughout it. I thought it was "almost" over done with the fighting, etc. But, a minor critique.

And Colin Firth was just right. Almost Bond-like, but still original.

^I liked it, too. Colin Firth looked a lot like Harry Palmer, a spy Michael Caine played in three British flicks.

I know it's early, but Kingsman: The Secret Service will likely be one of the best films of 2015. It's clever, funny, and has some really well shot action sequences. We both loved it, and would be happy if there's a sequel.

dt

It does look like they want to start a new "franchise."

Edited by cfc

Decided to give "Birdman" a watch. It's...interesting to say the least. Don't know about it being "Best Picture" material though. I mean, it wasn't bad but it was missing something and I can't quite place my finger on it.

I will say though the cinematography was pretty cool though and Michael Keaton put on an amazing performance. Overall, I say "Birdman" is worth a rental.

Cold In July - Watched this on Showtime the other day, as it never played in a theater around here. It's based on a Joe Lansdale novel (and if you've never read one of his books, you need to fix that), and concerns a guy (Michael C. Hall) that shoots and kills and intruder in his home. And when the intruder's dad suddenly shows up in town, you think it's going to be your typical revenge film. And then...unexpected things happen. Trust me, you don't want to know anything else about what happens before you watch this. I will warn you it's very dark and violent, but if you're not bothered by that, then you'll enjoy one of the best crime films in years. One of the best movies I've seen in a very long time.

dt

Looks like I might be dragged to see The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel this weekend. Guess I ought to watch The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel first.

Well, I did get around to viewing The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel this week, and it was a reasonably entertaining piece of fluff. Of course, the two glasses of red wine I drank probably helped it a bit.

I decided that I needed the opposite of that flick the next day. So, I watched No Country for Old Men. Still great.

I'll go over what I've seen within the past week.

Ikiru - GREAT movie! I'd call it one of my favorite Kurosawa films, except I say that about all of them. Easily one of the most depressing films I've seen, and it just drips with emotion. Watanabe is just an ordinary man who hasn’t done much and BAM!! Stomach Cancer. 5 months to live. GO!!! And within that time, he builds a playground. It’s not an amazing huge feat. But it really moves you. It’s not that this is a great story with a big climax, but it’s a journey for Watanabe. A journey to find himself and give back on his way out. It’s the kind of action you might see a real person do with the last months of their life. It’s not amazing or going to change the world, but it will make some people happy and serve as a nice deed on his way out the door.

Big Hero 6 - After all the hype and seeing several of my friends orgasm for this movie, I finally saw it, and I really liked. True, it's not that great as a Superhero Movie and not even the best Disney Superhero Movie (The Incredibles did it better), but it's still a great movie for one main reason. Baymax. This is easily one of my favorite Disney characters. I know it’s weird because he’s a robot and he doesn’t get out of his programming or want to be human or change. He literally only does what he was programmed to do. He was designed as a health care robot, and that’s what he does. Focusing on both physical and mental health. And Baymax does a damn good job. He is very soothing, very calming, and goes beyond the screen to comfort you (or at least he did with me). I can think of many times where I was depressed and could've used Baymax in my life.

127 Hours - Despite it being about a dude who is literally just trapped by a boulder for 127 hours and forced to amputate his arm in the end, it's still a well made and very suspenseful. It's very hallucinogenic as the film focuses a lot on how he imagines freeing himself, his family, his past relationships, all the things that he did wrong with his life, and about the hikers he met up with. I particularly like how he's still a hiker and mountaineer despite the incident and he didn't let the experience traumatize him and force him into a safe hermit life. I know I do a lot of outdoor activities including hiking and I'm not sure how I'd react if forced into that situation (and hopefully will never discover what it's like). So it was interesting in that regard as well.

Insurgent - It was not as good as the first movie, but I still thought it was decent. It had a completely different feel from Divergent, which I liked. I found the first half to be pretty boring, but it became more interesting later on. It was visually appealing with some good graphics. The acting was pretty average. Shailene Woodley and Kate Winslet were the only decent performances in my opinion. Based on how it all ended, I really don't feel the need to split the last book into two films. Overall, decent movie, and I'd recommend it if you enjoyed the first one. Grade: B-