TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

Time for a belated movie review!

On November 10th, I saw Big Hero 6. It was a smashing film, and here is what I have to say about it, while trying to avoid spoilers.

The animation was quite nice, and was one of the best CGI movies I've ever seen. Every sequence involving the nanobots enticed me, from Hiro's presentation to the car chase. The size and the lighting of the sequence where Hiro and Baymax are flying together was fantastic. And the background in the climax involving Hiro & Baymax's rescue objectives was so beautiful it made me cry, but that might be because of what was happening to the characters. I enjoyed the humor in the film, and I laughed constantly at many scenes. That was my very brief review.

I just saw the trailer today for the new Star Wars coming out next year. I am a light enthuasist on Star Wars and wondering if any of the members here are heavy on it. I wanted to see other folk’s thoughts on the trailor. I can defiantly see the JJ Abrams impact on the film from it.

I just saw the trailer today for the new Star Wars coming out next year. I am a light enthuasist on Star Wars and wondering if any of the members here are heavy on it. I wanted to see other folk’s thoughts on the trailor. I can defiantly see the JJ Abrams impact on the film from it.

I really like the films, but I'm also not "heavy on it".

As to the lightsaber discussion, I think it looks pretty cool but I'll wait to see how it is used on the films.

Horrible Bosses 2, in the dying days of this year, the years worst movie was released. not a single thing works, the three leads come across as dumb stupid morons who just talk over each other for 90 plus minutes.

Annie, I am not the target audience for this, but after seeing it I am not sure who is, this is a mess from start to finish, the young girl who plays Annie comes across as a smug spoiled little bitch, I wanted to slap the little ( Word Of The Day ) off the screen. This film just made me angry.

^ I read in a recent review that Horrible Bosses 2 was easily the worst movie of 2014 - the critic said that it was the first movie that he has walked out on in a very long time because it was so bad. And he claimed that he really liked the first one.

Edited by Philrad71

Saw Mockingjay Part 1 on Saturday. It was okay, but the movie had some dull points. Instead of keeping me intrigued all the way through, it felt like it just dragged on until the end of the movie. It felt like an eternity until the ending. It's the first movie of this series where I WANTED it to end. I don't know if I want to see part 2 now. It's sad, because I REALLY liked the first 2 (Catching Fire is my favorite), and this 3rd one was a bit of a disappointment.

I think the main problem with Mockingjay is that you have people who have never read the books but saw the first two movies and walk into the third thinking it'll be the same thing all over again. Mockingjay is definitely more of a political film instead of an action one.

Then again, I walked into it with low(ish) expectations, so that may be why I liked it so much.

The latest new movie I saw was the recently released Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Pretty good film even though I never finished the first one.

Also I found out they are making a spinoff of National Lampoon's Vacation. It's got a great cast too (Ed Helms, Christina Applegate, Charlie Day and of course Chevy Chase and Beverly D Angelo). It appears America's favorite family fun park will be closed forever and Rusty and his family will visit one last time. I hope we see Marty Moose again!

We saw Penguins of Madagascar last week, and it was really, Really Funny!

I was shocked how much more i enjoyed it, than I thought I would. Definitely stuff

in there no child would ever 'get'. But lots of visual craziness all over the map.

And the "feeling of family" coming through, nice and squishy.

I wouldn't call myself a "heavy" Star Wars enthusiast, but I have seen all of them when they first aired in theaters. I think the trailer gave just enough to get us looking forward to it, but didn't give away the movie (like so many trailers do.)

Looking forward to it here.

Interview is actually one of my most anticipated movies. It sucks that Sony decided not to release it at all. Come on it's just a comedy! You know it isn't serious when Seth Rogen is in it.

Feedback from those who saw it Saturday at Butt-Numb-a-thon here in Austin, was that the film is TERRIBLE.

so I'm hearing whispers that SONY is using the controversy as an excuse to "hide the bomb". . basically.

Well, when all of the major cinemas in the US and Canada refused to screen it, what choice did they have? Outside of the major Metropolitan areas, there aren't many other choices other than these chains. But if they do decide to release it later (which I think they probably will), look at all of the press it's gotten now. I'm sure there's tons of people who simply want to see it now just because it pissed off North Korea so much. They'd barely even have to advertise it.

I get that the movie is a comedy (if you can call it that...sorry not a Seth Rogen fan!) but at the same time, how would the USA feel if Russia made a movie about assassinating Obama? Or if Iraq made a movie about killing one of our famous stars. Understand that I don't agree with North Korea at all in any way, and I also don't agree with Sony caving to the pretty pathetic threat, but I do think it's an inappropriate movie that wouldn't have been any good to begin with!

^ I felt very similarly in regards to the offensiveness. I see Sony also cancelled another North Korea related film as well. With the concept it was going for, I think it was for the best that it was scrapped.

I know some people who have used Team America's existence as proof that The Interview should have been screened. Personally, I don't remember North Korea's reaction to it (if there even was one). Then again, it's impossible to take anything in that movie seriously since all of the characters are puppets.

I've got two movie reviews: Let's Be Cops and How to Train Your Dragon 2.

Let's Be Cops- I thought this movie was pretty funny. It is blue humor, but I didn't feel that it was over the top like Neighbors (even with that (spoiler) scene with the coked-out fat guy who had his balls on one of the cop's faces). It's not perfect, and it didn't really offer anything new to the movie industry, but it was a pretty decent movie. It wasn't as funny as I hoped, but there were a few moments where I could just not stop laughing. 8/10.

HTTYD 2- My opinion on the first 2/3's of this movie: Dreamworks should have NEVER made a sequel to the first movie. I think the show on Cartoon Network was good enough. This movie just felt painful to watch. The story line was dull. I take my comment back about Hunger Games 3 dragging on, because I would have gladly taken a 5 hour Mockingjay Part I over the first 2/3's of this movie. This gets a 5/10.

My Opinion on the rest of the movie: The movie really picked up after (spoiler) Hiccup's father died. Killing off a character you've become emotionally attached to...... I smell Disney involvement! The movie became really good after this. The ending was great. The animation was amazing! The end of this movie gets an 8.5/10. As a whole, this movie is probably a 6/10, just because of the first part, but the end of the movie saves it from a 50% rating.

Wow, that review sounded really whiny.

Foxcatcher: A slow burn of a film, but also one of the years best. Steve Carrel is beyond creepy as John DuPont the billionaire who had delusions of grandeur about being an olympic wresting coach. Channing Tatum is great as one of the Schultz brothers, I had no idea about this true story going in, it was disturbing, weird, and stunning to watch it unfold. Carrel should be oscar nominated for this.

I saw Horrible Bosses 2 tonight, and I'm not sure which was worse - that or Dumb & Dumber To. Both godawful films which had you hating the leads five minutes in. At least Horrible Bosses 2 had a handful of decent jokes, but I don't remember the characters being so stupid in the first film. Kevin Spacey and Jennifer Aniston's (brief) appearances were somewhat redeeming.

Weirdly, they showed the trailer for The Interview before the movie. Given that all this stuff is digital these days I'm surprised it hadn't been replaced in the pre-show. Looks like it might have had a few laughs, could have upset some North Koreans but I'm not convinced we need to be all that precious when it comes to the sensitivities of a dictator. I'm sure the film will "accidentally" leak at some point, even if it doesn't get a commercial release.

^ I haven't seen Horrible Bosses 2 but I can't imagine it been worse than Dumb and Dumber To.

I wanted to watch The Interview on Christmas Day, but now I think I might watch Team America World Police at home on DVD instead. I don't think I want to support Hollywood or movie theaters on Christmas Day now. I might play XBox or Nintendo games also.

I get that the movie is a comedy (if you can call it that...sorry not a Seth Rogen fan!) but at the same time, how would the USA feel if Russia made a movie about assassinating Obama? Or if Iraq made a movie about killing one of our famous stars. Understand that I don't agree with North Korea at all in any way, and I also don't agree with Sony caving to the pretty pathetic threat, but I do think it's an inappropriate movie that wouldn't have been any good to begin with!

Frankly, I think that by sparing the world from another Seth Rogen flick, North Korea did everyone a great service.

I caught The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies last night. Overall, it was a nice and thrilling way to conclude the Hobbit trilogy. One of the strongest aspects of the film has to be the focus on characters and plot points that didn't really get the treatment they deserved in Desolation of Smaug, such as the silly relationship that I somewhat cared about in this, the character of Bard, and some really great development for Thorin. The battle itself was absolutely fascinating, with lots of intense moments and crowd pleasing moments. The insane overabundance of CGI still irked me quite a bit (fire effects were pretty bad), and the whole storyline following Gandalf, Galadriel and the others at Dol Goldur just felt so irrelevant and unnecessary. My biggest gripe with the entire series as a whole is probably the underutilization of Smaug. He's one of the biggest aspects of the story and he seems shoved aside and generally insignificant. Overall, though, a nice conclusion to the entire Hobbit story that somewhat shoehorned in one or two too many Lord of the Rings references

7.5/10