TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

^I won't be seeing it in theaters, but it does look interesting. Probably catch it when it comes out on DVD.

Just finished watching The Grand Budapest Hotel. It is just beautiful. The way it is filmed, the writing, the characters, Wes Anderson's odd style. I just love it. Really fun movie and one of the best movies I've seen from 2014. I need to check out some his other movies, especially Fantastic Mr. Fox and Moonrise Kingdom.

Big Hero 6

Where do I even begin? I know... I'll start with THIS MOVIE IS AMAZING!!! Remember the days when Disney was putting out films like Chicken Little, Home on the Range, and Treasure Planet? Yeah, thankfully neither do most other people now, but those dark years are there. Then about 5 or 6 years ago, something happened... Along came Princess & The Frog, then Tangled, Wreck-It-Ralph, and Frozen. Back to back to back Disney was releasing a string of movies that made people feel that the quality of films coming from the animation studio was worth of the "Disney Animation" label again.

Frozen became the biggest animated movie of all time and half the girls on the planet dressed up as the characters this past Halloween. But could Disney do it again?

Big Hero 6 exceeded all my expectations and is the perfect follow-up to Frozen! No, it's not a musical, and yes, it's more "Adventureland" than "Fantasyland", but I think that's also why it's a perfect follow-up! It doesn't directly compare story-wise, but it most certainly matches the overall quality of the film and how you feel about the characters!

Yes, Big Hero 6 is a "Super Hero" movie at its heart, but it's one with a lot of emotion, fun, and thrills. If there is one thing I love about Disney movies is how they take each character, and how well you get to know them, very seriously. There are a lot of characters in this film, but at no point do you lose track of who is who, and you feel like you really get to know each one of them, and all the characters are amazing! For me, what makes this movie so good is how strong each of the characters are.

Baymax, Hiro, Go Go, Wasabi, Honey Lemon, and Fred. Those might all be names that are lost on you going into the movie, but when you get out, you'll feel an attachment to every single one. The relationship between Baymax and Hiro is outstanding. And far more than one would expect between a young boy and a giant marshmallow-shaped robot!

And while, yes, it's a super-hero movie, that does not mean it's targeted just to boys. If Baymax doesn't become one of this Christmas' most sought after toys from both boys and girls, I'll be shocked. And the two girl characters, Go Go and Honey Lemon are amazing! The movie literally has something for everyone!

Not going to give too much more away. Below as some screen shots from the film and some descriptors telling a bit of the story, but go see Big Hero 6!

Oh, it upsets me that San Fransokyo is not a real place! The mixture of Japanese and American culture may very well be the most amazing locations ever created for a film! I want to live there!

000.thumb.jpg.97ab77a113193b607b998f07a3690a6e.jpg

Big Hero 6 is amazing! I'm not sure what pixie dust Disney has been using over the last 5 years with their Disney Animation Studios films, but they need to keep using it. This movie lives us to the recent renaissance for the studio and is right up there with the likes of The Incredibles and Wreck-It Ralph in that "Adventureland" genre of animated movies.

001.thumb.jpg.78bd328608ed375537664c966cb7d8a4.jpg

San Fransokyo is by far one of the coolest environments I've ever seen in an animated movie. It upsets me this place isn't real!

002.thumb.jpg.f5a510762cbddf825b9d6103a47dc0f2.jpg

"Hello, I am Baymax, your personal healthcare assistance. On a scale of one to ten, how would you rate your pain?" And on a scale of one to ten, how do we rate Big Hero 6? It's a ONE!!! (At least according to Baymax's scale!)

003.thumb.jpg.25d063835079f3d5e8ec8f0e27b96f52.jpg

Hiro and Baymax make the PERFECT team. They'll make you laugh, cry, and wish you were on an adventure with them!

004.thumb.jpg.bec9c37cddab4d0cd025e1838bcfba6d.jpg

Although Baymax does have a tendency to wander and he's kind of lost without Hiro!

005.thumb.jpg.826bf3293dab4078c3f9c5d2e19f27ec.jpg

Hiro does a scan on Baymax for a few "upgrades!"

006.thumb.jpg.afdd96497c304355ef0d2235ad249886.jpg

Since Hiro is a robotics expert, he gives Baymax a little help when needed to fight the bad guy.

007.thumb.jpg.89d4858c6631e0e01aa2c5d79a8ae86e.jpg

The Japanese influence is strong in this movie. It's the perfect mix of anime and classic Disney. I can't say enough how much I liked the environment and themes of this film!

008.thumb.jpg.c9368dab28a066d0415362e931362f53.jpg

If these robotics nerds are gonna beat the bad guy, they are all going to need some of Hiro's upgrades!

009.thumb.jpg.d4a1a3045e7d7cde131210de18a4c4c9.jpg

Let's introduce you to "Big Hero 6"....

010.thumb.jpg.671221654a142569446a4fc016255883.jpg

Hiro is the leader. Robotics expert, bot-fighting champ, and has a mild case of puberty. Nothing that can't be solved with a little bit of help from Baymax.

011.thumb.jpg.7c3029d53a6329eb982566469d6206a8.jpg

Baymax, whether in his normal state or 2.0 upgrade will make you laugh, cry, and want to hug him. Thank you Baymax, we are all satisfied with our care! (but you don't need to deactivate!)

012.thumb.jpg.4433968a54a174d70717716bb94cd2bf.jpg

Wasabi gets his name from an apparent sushi-related accident. He's an OCD-freak and likes his apple slices thin!

013.thumb.jpg.9cde8f8b8919fa0d0671fcd5f799ab88.jpg

Honey Lemon has balls...literally! She's a strong fighter, even if she likes everything pink...VERY pink!

014.thumb.jpg.b75019bc9ed6b3cfcd06bd3019ae8c7f.jpg

Go Go is that "bad-ass" girl of the group. She's got a dark personality, she's strong and likes her action fast, but somewhere down there, she's still got a heart.

015.thumb.jpg.7fa19797031098f843b3df1eb4928565.jpg

Don't be fooled by Fred's "surfer-dude" lazy attitude. The guy has a lot of skeletons in his closet and just might surprise you with a thing or two!

016.thumb.jpg.c000867dc3a0a5fa5fa6946e721bc4c4.jpg

Big Hero 6 lives up to the Disney name. I can't think of any other family movie that will come out this holiday season that I could recommend going to see more. It really is a perfect movie with something for everyone!

Edited by robbalvey

I had no idea what this movie was before we went to see it. I knew it was some sort of Marvel/Disney super hero mashup and really had no interest in this genre. Kristen REALLY wanted to see it for some reason so I agreed to go with my family to see it.

IT WAS AMAZING!! I liked it better than Frozen!!!

It was seriously the perfect mix of Marvel and Disney. You have to go see this movie. Our plush Baymax has quickly become KT's top stuffed animal and talks and plays all the time with us. Forget flying cars, teleportation, a skinny pill...I want a Personal Healthcare Companion!!!!

Edited by SharkTums

Please let this movie be a big hit so a San Fransokyo area can show up one day at a Disney park.

^THIS, perfect Epcot Pavilion in the making!

WHAT?!?!? Are suggesting they put Disney Characters in Epcot?!?!? BLASPHEMY!!!!

/Sarcasm

And yes, I would give up Maelstrom a thousand times over to see San Fransokyo come to Epcot!