TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

^ Thanks for the cliff-note version so I can ensure my recommendation to my parents (whom still think they will like this movie) should be focused on a different movie like Saving Mr. Banks or The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. I'll check this one out soon since I enjoy a good Scorcese movie and everyone is talking about how funny it is.

Saw "American Hustle", "Saving Mr. Banks", and "The Wolf of Wall Street" this weekend.

"Saving Mr. Banks" was the best. Not just a film for Disney buffs, but a great movie period. A little too convenient, but the performances are enchanting all around and even though Disney is producing it, it never seems like the film is letting Walt be "the winner". In fact, Disney is hardly the focus himself. From beginning to end, this is P.L. Travers's story and what a story it was.

"American Hustle" is like a classic Scorsese movie, only slightly more restrained to its discredit. What makes this movie shine is the script, the cast and the soundtrack, and when all three meet perfectly, it is goddamn magic. It also has one of the best cameo performances of all time.

"The Wolf of Wall Street" was like eating an entire chocolate suicide cake by yourself. At first, the sugar high makes you giddy and excited as you keep rising and rising, but ultimately it makes you sick and bloated and waiting for your horrible horrible mistake to pass. I could tell this was the intention. It's damning in that it all but says to your face that you, the general public, allow people like Jordan Belfort to exist and do as he pleases. It's a sick reality that you are left with after the bacchanalia has come and gone. I enjoyed it, but there's no doubt in my mind it could have been done better, and it wasn't nearly as shocking as they wanted you to think it would be, though I attribute that to myself being a child of the internet age.

I've been reworking my way through the Harry Potter books and movies in anticipation of the Harry Potter celebration at USO next month and then Diagon opening next year. Watched Goblet of Fire last night for the first time since I first got it on DVD and man did they butcher the story. The book was just too long to fit everything in, but they didn't just cut things, they completely reworked a great number of scenes. It's always been my favorite book of the seven, but the movie is probably only top three in the series.

I enjoyed it, but there's no doubt in my mind it could have been done better, and it wasn't nearly as shocking as they wanted you to think it would be, though I attribute that to myself being a child of the internet age.

While I agree, with a bloated runtime of 3 hours, an R rating, and respectable artists at the reigns, what exactly were you expecting that could have made it more shocking?

Behind the Candelabra - the story of Liberace (Michael Douglas) and his younger lover, Scott Thorson (Matt Damon).

Very powerful, albeit sad movie and it was definitely a bit of a shock seeing Michael Douglas and Matt Damon in multiple kissing & love-making scenes!

Although if your mother or grandmother was/is a huge Liberace fan (and somewhat conservative), this movie might be a bit too much for them to handle.

While I agree, with a bloated runtime of 3 hours, an R rating, and respectable artists at the reigns, what exactly were you expecting that could have made it more shocking?

There wasn't anything I was particularly expecting. I'm just saying much of it I'd already seen before. There were definitely things that did shock me, but not as much as the hype led me to believe.

So here's the list of all the movies we saw in 2013.

Some are a blur. Others were exceptionally memorable.

And only one, I went to a second time in the movie house.

The Hobbit, Part 1

Les Miserables

Escape Planet Earth

Jack The Giant Killer

OZ The Great and Powerful

The Croods

Olympus Has Fallen

Oblivion

Iron Man 3

Star Trek 2

The Great Gatsby

Epic

Now You See Me

Monsters University

The Lone Ranger

Man of Steel

Pacific Rim

Despicable Me 2

Elysium

World's End

The Butler

This Is The End

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2

Thor The Dark

Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Frozen

Dallas Buyers Club

The Book Thief

Frozen (again)

Whew! Well, here's to another year full of films and movies we love (and some times hate) to watch.

Edited by Nrthwnd

I guess this is the time for that... okay, in order starting with the Top 10 Best

1. Gravity

2. Spring Breakers

3. Frozen

4. Saving Mr. Banks

5. The Conjuring

6. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

7. American Hustle

8. 12 Years a Slave

9. Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox

10. The Wolf of Wall Street

Monsters University

Prisoners

Evangelion 3.0: You Can (Not) Redo

Blackfish

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Evil Dead

Star Trek Into Darkness

The World's End

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha The Movie 2 A's

This Is The End

Pacific Rim

Wolf Children

Only God Forgives

Now You See Me

Oblivion

Trance

Warm Bodies

G.I. Joe: Retaliation

Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters

My Little Pony: Equestria Girls

The Hangover Part III

Dead Man Down

The ABCs of Death

And the Top 10 WORST

---

10. We're the Millers

9. Elysium

8. Bronies: The Extremely Unexpected Adult Fans of My Little Pony

7. World War Z

6. Man of Steel

5. Iron Man 3

4. Gangster Squad

3. The Host

2. Olympus Has Fallen

1. The Purge

My own personal list, definitely not what I though were the best films this year.

1. The Wolf of Wall Street

2. American Hustle

3. Saving Mr. Banks

4.12 Years a Slave

5. Catching Fire

6. Frozen

7. Captain Phillips

8. Mud

9. The Conjuring

10. This is The End

Also saw:

Lords of Salem

Iron Man 3

Star Trek Into Darkness

Pain and Gain

The Hangover Part III

Fast and Furious 6

The Lone Ranger

Pacific Rim

Monsters University

Man of Steel

World War Z

The Purge

You're Next

The Conjuring

Don Jon

Despicable Me 2

The Wolverine

The World's End

The Way Way Back

The To Do List

Gravity

2 Guns

Thor 2

Anchorman 2

Bad Grandpa

Escape Plan

Out of the Furnace

Elysium

Here's my full ranking list of all the movies I've seen that were released in 2013:

1. Gravity

2. Star Trek Into Darkness

3. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

4. Monsters University

5. Man of Steel

6. Thor: The Dark World

7. The Wolverine

8. Pacific Rim

9. World War Z

10. Iron Man 3

11. Olympus Has Fallen

12. The World's End

13. 42

14. Now You See Me

15. Oblivion

16. G.I. Joe: Retaliation

17. The Last Stand

18. A Good Day to Die Hard

19. The Incredible Burt Wonderstone

20. Planes (I actually did watch this crap)

21. Rise of the Dinosaurs

Ahh, one of the twelve people that saw the Lone Ranger. Bob Iger would be proud.

Woo hoo!

Actually I've seen it too

So - does that make 13 of us now?

No 14, my grandmother has also seen it.

My top 10

1: Gravity

2: 12 years a slave

3: Catching fire

4: Wolf of wall street

5: The conjuring

6: American hustle

7: Her

8: Fruitvale station

9: Saving Mr banks

10: This is the end

In other news I just came back from the 5th installment of the Paranormal Activity series, The marked ones spin off. Now I didn't like the first one, but I liked 2 and 3. 4 was god awful. Honestly when I herd about this one back in October I couldn't take the series seriously anymore. Mostly because January horror movie releases are horrible. But I can honestly say this one was my favorite in the series. It's scary, funny, and for the first time I really cared about the characters and their fate. The first 25 mins or so it didn't feel like a PA film at all, and it was really funny. Then things got dark, really dark and ended with a crazy ending which some people will love it or hate it.

I'm not going to say if you hate the series go see this one, because you're not going to like it. But if the 4th film made you loose hope in the series I encourage you to see this one, it has some great scares and It actually answers questions and leaves room for the 5th movie too. I'll give it a solid 4 out of 5 stars.

^ I loved the first four Paranormal Activities - this one I am not sure about. I will wait for it to go to the $4 movies more than likely.

I rarely like movies that win awards. I am looking at everyone's top 10 and I don't like almost any.

The movie Her just seems silly in my opinion.

I am looking forward to Devil's Due and Open Grave. I really only like horror and chick flicks/dramas. Can not stand almost any action/super hero/sci fi/western/alien/spoof/pure comedy/mob/etc movies. I know, I am weird.

I really enjoyed American Hustle last night. They did a good job capturing the feel of the 1970s (reminded me of Boogie Nights in that regard), and the cast was great. I'm not a fan of Christian Bale, but he was very good--as were Amy Adams and Jennifer Lawrence (boy, she sure gets around).

^I'm perversely looking forward to seeing Lone Ranger when it hits Netflix.

It was surprisingly not as bad as everyone said it was (like John Carter) It certainly runs way too long, but I think you may enjoy parts of it. Plus how often does Disney films have scenes of cannablism in them. I rented the blu ray from Redbox for $1.59. It was worth the money.

^I'm perversely looking forward to seeing Lone Ranger when it hits Netflix.

It was surprisingly not as bad as everyone said it was (like John Carter) It certainly runs way too long, but I think you may enjoy parts of it. Plus how often does Disney films have scenes of cannablism in them. I rented the blu ray from Redbox for $1.59. It was worth the money.

I thought it was fine, but I like almost any movie. Although, I mainly went to see it in the theater to get my Disney Movie Rewards points. I'm only about 4000 points away from getting a private tour of the Disney Studios!