TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

Cracked open the Blu-ray of Pacific Rim I got on Black Friday for the kids. They loved it, but I never saw it in the theatres.

Did anyone else stop giving a crap about giant robots or humanity and just want to see 90 minutes of giant Kaiju monsters destroying everything. I think I would have been good with just that.

Saw A Madea Christmas yesterday. I know a lot of people do not like the Tyler Perry produced movies however I love them. This one was really good in my opinion. Loved Larry the Cable Guy and Kathy Najimy is hilarious is everything she does. It was nice to see Chad Michael Murry back in a movie.

^Those movies are starting to get old to me. I liked his beginning work though.

Well I was treated in seeing the wolf of wall street. What a long movie like I think I was that theater for 3 hours.

That being said the movie was just fantastic, one of my favorites this year. I went in blind knowing nothing about it being a true story, and it's a really shocking story. But I was surprised how funny it was to me, definitely a dark comedy. Also they're were a lot of shocking sexual scenes witch made me wonder how this movie wasn't NC-17, It's really a hard R movie.

All of the performances were fantastic. I'm not a fan of Jonah hill but he was great. If DiCaprio does't at least get nominated for an Oscar... Then they must have something against him.

It's a very great long powerful movie I'll give it an 8.5/10 Only because It did have it's dry moments.

Edited by sfgam#1

^ To me they keep getting better. His new one entitled The Single Moms Club looks really good. I really like Wendi McLendon-Covey so I hoping she is in a lot of the movie. I am more into the ones Madea is not in. For Colored Girls, Why Did I get Married?, Good Deeds, I Can Do Bad All By Myself, The Family that Preys were all really good in my opinion.

Edited by alilstronger

Well I was treated in seeing the wolf of wall street. What a long movie like I think I was that theater for 3 hours.

That being said the movie was just fantastic, one of my favorites this year. I went in blind knowing nothing about it being a true story, and it's a really shocking story. But I was surprised how funny it was to me, definitely a dark comedy. Also they're were a lot of shocking sexual scenes witch made me wonder how this movie wasn't NC-17, It's really a hard R movie.

All of the performances were fantastic. I'm not a fan of Jonah hill but he was great If DiCaprio doesn't get nominated for an Oscar... Then they must have something against him.

It's a very great long powerful movie I'll give it an 8.5/10 Only because It did have it's dry moments.

Thanks for the review. Am definitely fascinated to check out this movie. I like a good 'hard R'!

^You'll love it

^ To me they keep getting better. His new one entitled The Single Moms Club looks really good. I really like Wendi McLendon-Covey so I hoping she is in a lot of the movie. I am more into the ones Madea is not in. For Colored Girls, Why Did I get Married?, Good Deeds, I Can Do Bad All By Myself, The Family that Preys were all really good in my opinion.

The only Medea movie I thought was good were family Reunion and Big happy family. I really liked the family that preys (Mostly because I'm a sucker for some Kathy Bates)

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug opened down here yesterday, so I saw it last night. I quite liked it and thought it had much better pacing than the first film, and some terrific action sequences. The dragon was very, very well done, both in performance and animation. A couple of observations:

- how many times does Bilbo have to rescue the dwarves from their own poor decision making before they start giving him the benefit of the doubt?

- did they seriously use a GoPro in the barrels sequence? Only three short cuts, but I found it really jarring against the rest of the nice "filmic" images.

- 6 hours of film and only two female characters, one of whom had to be added to the story by the writers!

- can you imagine if they'd had to shoehorn all of this into one or two films? I know they've added material but filming The Hobbit on its own would have made for one very frantic movie!

Just watched The World's End. Not exactly sure what to think of it. The film is over the top and ridiculous. It works for the most part, but it seemingly crossed the line a bit. The action and the comedy didn't really live up to that of the first two in the Cornetto trilogy, but all of the main cast gave good performances. The characters weren't great and their development was weak. The film just didn't seem to 'click' like the other two, I'm afraid. As a standalone film, it is a solid comedy and does contain some good laughs, but overall, I don't really think I can get behind it that much. 7.5/10

My overall review of the Cornetto trilogy:

Great set of comedy films with horror, sci-fi, and action genres attached to them. My personal order - Hot Fuzz > Shaun of the Dead > The World's End. I do own Shaun of the Dead on DVD and am planning on buying Hot Fuzz, but I do not plan on buying the World's End.

Now onto another Edgar Wright film...Scott Pilgrim!!!!

He also did Temptation and Alex Cross.

He also did Temptation and Alex Cross.

They were terrible!! Kim Kardashian can not act!!!

Just saw Saving Mr. Banks last night an really liked it. Mary Poppins is one of my all-time favorite movies, and I love Disney, so it may not be an impartial review. I could see how no-Disney/Mary Poppins fan may not like it as much, but it's still a great movie. It reminds me a little of Finding Neverland, so if you liked that, you'd probably like Saving Mr. Banks.

Tyler is not perfect with dealing with comedy actors. Check out Witness Protection for the "acting" of Eugene Levy.

I caught Saving Mr. Banks today, and liked it. The theatre was nearly full, too, and the audience actually applauded at the end. Might be a bit of a "sleeper." Be sure to stay for part of the closing credits.

Also saw Saving Mr. Banks. It was definitely and interesting film and well played by all of the actors. I was a bit surprised about how little time Tom Hanks spent on screen. Also, Colin Ferrell and the little girl that played Travers as a child were spectacular. It's definitely a must see even though it drags a bit at times and it's hard to like Travers even in the end.

Saw Frozen and thought it was really nice. Kristen loves it. I think that will be my big Disney Winter movie as I don't have an interest in Saving Mr. Banks and even less so after reading the detailed movie spoiler. If I want to be reminded of a bitchy woman author trying to ruin a theme park, I only have to go down the street to Universal!

^Not a Potter Head I take it. Don't worry I won't tell my sister.

I'm curious about Saving Mr Banks but will probably wait until it is on Netflix streaming. I also want to see Escape from Tomorrow when it's released on Netflix streaming.

I did see American Hustle right before Christmas and it was good but with so many details I will have to see it again when it's on Netflix.

I saw American Hustle last night and Wolf of Wallstreet tonight. I thought both were really fun and well-acted films, but I don't think either is really deserving of the Oscar. If anything, I thought Gravity was by far the most captivating of the contenders this year.

^ I saw American hustle and 50% of the family didn't enjoy it with all the deep plot twists and F words. Good thing we didn't see WoWS since that one has now claimed the top spot in most F words in a movie... and Pulp Fiction was great but had enough to deliver the story.

Wondering if you also think WoWS deserves the R rating instead of the NC17 rating it was supposed to get. After all reviews confirmed it should have been due to the nudity, just curious since you enjoyed it, thought it was funny, and didn't leave like many have done.

I don't have an interest in Saving Mr. Banks and even less so after reading the detailed movie spoiler. If I want to be reminded of a bitchy woman author trying to ruin a theme park, I only have to go down the street to Universal!

Hmm--that is an interesting point.

^ I saw American hustle and 50% of the family didn't enjoy it with all the deep plot twists and F words. Good thing we didn't see WoWS since that one has now claimed the top spot in most F words in a movie... and Pulp Fiction was great but had enough to deliver the story.

Wondering if you also think WoWS deserves the R rating instead of the NC17 rating it was supposed to get. After all reviews confirmed it should have been due to the nudity, just curious since you enjoyed it, thought it was funny, and didn't leave like many have done.

While I can see where the NC17 rating could have come into play if a few cutaways hadn't been in place, I guess I don't really understand the point of that rating in the first place. The actual simulated sex scenes weren't very graphic--the more intense nudity came in a couple of "teasing" moments. If anything, I feel like general audience members would be more discomforted by the excessive drug usage rather than the almost-vagina-slippage and one quick glimpse at a fake semi-hard dick. But, eh, could just be me.