TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

Just finished Hot Fuzz and it is my all-time favorite comedy movie. Simon Pegg was truly awesome in this film and his chemistry with Nick Frost was great again (I slightly preferred them as a duo in Shaun of the Dead, though). There was lots of great comedy and some really cool action sequences near the end. 10/10 from me.

Caught a few movies this week:

ANCHORMAN 2: This movie was literally hilarious, I loved it especially since I am a huge fan of the first one. This is probably my favorite Will Ferrell movie and there was some all out hilarious lines. Probably the funniest movie I've seen this year, it was incredibly awesome in every way. 9/10

AMERICAN HUSTLE: GREAT movie with amazingly well done performances throughout the whole cast, and it's probably the closest anyone is ever going to get with a DC/ Marvel crossover film (with the main actors playing/ will play a hero from those films). I highly recommend it to anyone. 9.5/10

Gonna catch Hobbit: Desolation of Sherlock this weekend. Hopefully it's as good as everyone says.

Ahh, this is killing me. I'm normally a movie fiend, and would have seen Mr. Banks, American Hustle, and Anchorman today. These stupid $12 movie tickets in Orlando are killing me.

Last movie I did see though was Into the Furnace, better than I thought, but not as good as it should have been considering the cast. 7/10

^Wait, $12 is too expensive or too cheap? We usually pay around $20 here, although I usually get discounted tickets through work.

Saw Frozen today. Great film, haven't enjoyed a Disney film this much since The Lion King. No over-the-top CG actions sequences, no gratuitous pop culture references, just a good story, with great characters and songs. Can see Disney getting a lot of mileage out of this one. Not a huge fan of the Mickey short beforehand though - I don't think the rest of the people in the cinema knew quite what to make of it either.

Went to see Anchorman 2 tonight. Being a huge fan of the first film, I had quite high expectations for this one, and I came out really disappointed. Of course there are some highlights, but overall, I felt like most of the jokes fell flat and it didn't really seem like anyone involved really cared about how the movie turned out. It's obvious that they had fun making it, though.

Saw American Hustle, a lot to like about this film, not sure if the whole thing comes together as well as it should. Moments of brilliance, a killer soundtrack, and the girls out shine the boys in this!

Plus Amy Adams and her boobs

Just finished Hot Fuzz and it is my all-time favorite comedy movie. Simon Pegg was truly awesome in this film and his chemistry with Nick Frost was great again (I slightly preferred them as a duo in Shaun of the Dead, though). There was lots of great comedy and some really cool action sequences near the end. 10/10 from me.

Love it. The Cornetto Trilogy are some of my absolute favorite comedies ever. Hot Fuzz being number 1 for me. If you haven't seen The Worlds End, you must. It's right up there with Shaun and Fuzz. And The Worlds End flips it a bit where Nick Frost has his sh*t together and Simon Pegg is the total and complete f*ck up. It's great to see a different dynamic between the two.

I loved American Hustle, as well. I was a bit worried that it might get lost behind "Look at me, it's the 70's, laugh at the bad fashion" vibe I was getting initially. Funny enough, that aspect was handled very well, throw it in your face then let the characters stand for themselves. By the end, you don't see the fashion, you only see well developed characters who you've seen grow and change. I was also worried at first that the pace might be a bit slow, but, the dialog draws you into the characters. It is only when they are well developed that the story really kicks into gear, which elevates your investment into what happens, just like a good movie should.

The acting is very good all around. Amy Adams is just amazing, Christian Bale is so far away from Batman, another one of his transformations.

So, American Hustle is a well written, "adult" movie with well developed characters, moments of fun, and some strong scenes of character development.

You just reminded me that I still have to see Mud! I followed that one throughout it's production and then completely forgot about it once it had been released. With Mud, Dallas Buyer's Club, and The Wolf of Wallstreet, Matthew Mcconaughey sure has had a good year in film.

Finally saw Pacific Rim on our cruise last weekend. I really liked it, as I figured I would. I mean seriously, giant robots vs. giant aliens in Asia, what's not to like!?!?

Easily the most fun I had watching a movie in 2013. I thought this year was pretty weak for movies, with most things I saw being "meh". Deena and I have kind of stopped going to the theater, since everything has to be 3D now, which means an outing of $30+. We pretty much are just waiting for things to show up on the OnDemand on FIOS, where it's usually $5 to watch a movie. We've found between the giant TV, the kick ass surround system I have, and the easy access to tasty food, we don't miss the theater experience.

dt

Saw Anchorman 2 and Saving Mr. Banks tonight. This might be the only weekend this entire year, where a movie about Walt Disney was the third movie I'd see.

Thought Anchorman was decent, very similar to the first one, but the "News Station Battle Sequence" in this one was a real treat. 7.5/10 It was no This is the End or The World's End.

Saving Mr. Banks was outstanding. If you are a fan of the man, the parks, or the company, you owe it to yourself to see this one. 9/10 Little slow at parts, but the ending was beautiful.

A more refined list personal list:

1. American Hustle

2. Saving Mr. Banks

3.12 Years a Slave

4. Catching Fire

5. Frozen

6. Captain Phillips

7. Mud

8. The Conjuring

9. This is The End

10.Gravity

Deena and I have kind of stopped going to the theater, since everything has to be 3D now, which means an outing of $30+.

This has been one of my biggest annoyances of the past few years, the 3D push that adds $2-5 to the cost of a movie ticket. Fortunately the cinemas here have started to offer a better balance between 2D/3D screenings lately, to the point where it's about a 50/50 split. I almost always prefer the 2D version, 3D is best left for motion simulator rides

Worked out that I've seen fifty new films this year! If I was in charge of handing out awards, this is how they would go:

Best Film: The Way, Way Back, with Rush and American Hustle rounding out the top three.

Worst Film: Tie between Pain & Gain and Man of Steel. Proof that there are indeed worse films than Movie 43.

Best Animated Film: Frozen, by a long shot. Looks like Disney has recaptured its mojo. Monsters University and Despicable Me 2 were pretty strong contenders too.

Worst Animated Film: The Croods. Yawn yawn yawn.

Best "Dumb Fun" Film: Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters. Yeah I saw it.

Biggest Disappointment: The Lone Ranger. Wanted this to be good, but no dice.

Biggest Surprise: another tie - Pacific Rim and Bad Grandpa. Two films that on the surface looked terrible but were actually quite entertaining.

^ Sorry, but how did you not like Man of Steel? It was probably my favorite superhero movie this year. It was about time we got a serious portrayal of Superman. It was so deep to me and it was more of a "Superman Begins" type of movie for me. The only thing I thought was missing was the feeling I got in Gotham in the Dark Knight trilogy but other than that Man of Steel made it's way to one of my favorite films this year.

Recently saw Thor 2. I thought it was better than the first, but that's not saying much. A generally stupid movie, but I like the action. Also saw Hunger Games 2. I did like that it followed the book a lot more. Pretty good movie.

^ Sorry, but how did you not like Man of Steel? It was probably my favorite superhero movie this year. It was about time we got a serious portrayal of Superman. It was so deep to me and it was more of a "Superman Begins" type of movie for me. The only thing I thought was missing was the feeling I got in Gotham in the Dark Knight trilogy but other than that Man of Steel made it's way to one of my favorite films this year.

The last third of the film just killed it for me. Batman Begins worked as an origin story because it was understated, Man of Steel just went straight into "Superman saves the world" mode. Too many plot holes and nonsensical "twists". Action sequences we saw ten years ago in the third Matrix film, and the whole "send Amy Adams to the other side of the planet to help with that situation" just didn't work. Michael Shannon's Zod was the only good thing about that film.

^I loved the film because the action was pure fun for me. However, I do agree that the plotholes did bring the film down. I also wasn't really a fan of the flashback element that they used to tell the story of Superman. However, I did really enjoy the scenes on Krypton and the blatant IHOP product placement

Just saw "Frozen" and was absolutely blown away!!! I liked it better than "Tangled" and thought that the music and animation were breathtaking! Seriously go see it if you haven't already! It has humor, love, and adventure! I can't get enough of the movie

Best Film: The Way, Way Back, with Rush and American Hustle rounding out the top three.

Ohh, I forgot about The Way, Way Back. Very cute little summer flick.

What were everyone's Golden Globe nomination snubs this year?

I have to go with Tom Hanks, for sure. He may not have disappeared in the role, but he did such a great job portraying Walt. When the credits rolled and they showed pictures of the real premiere, it was a bit jarring to see the real Walt. In a little over two hours, Tom Hanks had made me forget what the real man looked like, because he became Walt Disney.

Currently watching my FAVORITE movies. Hands down. I think the movies are one of the reasons I like the B&M Inverted Coaster so friggin much.

Alicia: You look fine...

Jack: I didn't ask...

And yes... Tim Burton did it best.

Merry Christmas TPR!!!

-Seddy™

batman-poster3.jpg.2b260c3234f3d6f84367038b344024f1.jpg

The last third of the film just killed it for me. Batman Begins worked as an origin story because it was understated, Man of Steel just went straight into "Superman saves the world" mode. Too many plot holes and nonsensical "twists". Action sequences we saw ten years ago in the third Matrix film, and the whole "send Amy Adams to the other side of the planet to help with that situation" just didn't work. Michael Shannon's Zod was the only good thing about that film.

I hate seeing Man of Steel being compared to Batman Begins...because Begins is actually a good movie.

I thought Man of Steel definitely had some redeeming qualities, but I felt like the producers (and everyone involved, I guess) wanted to separate this film so much from Superman Returns that they went from one extreme to the other, resulting in an overly-serious, bloated movie with action sequences that each lasted 10 minutes too long. 90 minutes into the film, I was looking for a conflict and a resolution. Instead, after that point, I received many more conflicts and a couple more "resolutions"...and it was all too much for me.

Ah well. Maybe I'll like the sequel.

^ You liked Batman Begins? I thought it was the worst of the series, the way everybody portrayed the character they were playing was just AWFUL. It was a disgrace seeing Scarecrow not being able to play the dark villain he is in the comics, and the movie just felt so "rushed" to me. The only advantage about Begins was that Bale wasn't talking as if he had throat cancer as Batman.