TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

Watched DREDD on Netflix the other night. Was more entertaining than I thought it was going to be, and certainly better than the attempt at filming this comic series that Stallone made years ago (to be fair, my cats could probably put together a better film than the Stallone version). I will say that it was pretty obvious that the producers/writers of this version watched THE RAID: REDEMPTION more than once.

dt

^I have heard good things about the second Hunger Games. I did give in and saw the first one at the movies and it did not move me at all. I was not sure the point of the movie. I will more than likely give the rest a shot. This one does look better per the commercial but we all know how that goes.

Being obsessed with Disney my mom and I went and saw Frozen this weekend. I really liked the movie a lot! It is based on Hans Christian Anderson's The Snow Queen. Kristen Bell and Indina Menzel are great for each of their characters. Also the music is very good in this. I could see if taken directly to stage with the same music. For being a children's movie I liked that more mature story line. The humor is very childish though which made for some very funny laughs.

Last movie I saw was Hunger Games: Catching Fire on Tuesday. It was pretty good but the way it ends it's like "that's it?" I have to what a year to find out what happens next.

That's exactly how it is with the books. The only difference is that with the books, I was able to start the third immediately after finishing the second.

I really enjoyed Frozen. Definitely breaks free of a lot of Disney Princess movie cliques, with the love aspect taking a backseat to the relationship between Anna and her older sister Elsa.

Yes, I totally agree! I love that it steps away from that typical love story and focuses on the relationship between the sisters. I actually liked all the drama.

^Good to hear that Frozen is a decent movie - I'm looking forward to it (doesn't open here until the 26th) but Disney films can be a little hit-and-miss these days. For every Wreck-It Ralph there's a Chicken Little, it seems.

We were gonna see Gravity over Thanksgiving weekend, but bad weather and crazy traffic prevented that. Instead I stayed home and streamed 2 Guns instead. It was a pretty good action flick compared to most other action movies I saw this year. The movie had some pretty funny moments and some WTF moments. Overall, it had a better story than most garden variety action movies I've seen.

Plan to see Catching Fire and Gravity sometime later this year. After hearing reviews, I'm tempted to see Frozen as well.

Last movie I saw was Hunger Games: Catching Fire on Tuesday. It was pretty good but the way it ends it's like "that's it?" I have to what a year to find out what happens next.

That's exactly how it is with the books. The only difference is that with the books, I was able to start the third immediately after finishing the second.

That was my reaction too. At least I can know for certain that there will be a third, I was disappointed at the end, I always hate cliffhangers. But the movie was awesome, action packed and just amazing. Hopefully the third will the best of them all.

That was my reaction too. At least I can know for certain that there will be a third, I was disappointed at the end, I always hate cliffhangers. But the movie was awesome, action packed and just amazing. Hopefully the third will the best of them all.

Not only a third, but a fourth as well. I like the movies, but am annoyed the final is two parts

^What?!??! I hadn't heard that! I hate that it's split in two, but it could be worse, splitting a short book into three movies like the hobbit.

Glad I read he books, I wouldn't want to wait another two years. Ill likely reread them by then!

I thought Jackson had gotten so ridiculous about dragging this book out,

into as many movies as the "Lord of The..." was. I didn't think it was

necessary. But money speaks, so there you are.

I'll admit, I really like the Lord of the Rings movies, but I don't like how they never end until the final movie. It sucks for movies that aren't popular. I like almost every single movie, including terrible ones, and was annoyed that Cirque du Freak and Avatar never made it past the first ones. Yes, they were really terrible, but if I'm going to waste a few hours watching them, I want them to end!

Also saw Catching Fire opening weekend. I thought it was great. I've read the books but it's been awhile so while I know what happens in the 3rd book I don't remember EVERYTHING. From what I remember of Catching Fire though the movie was pretty faithful to the book.

As far as The Hobbit is concerned, I'm a huge fan of the book. I've probably read it 25-30 times in my lifetime (the last being last year). I did like the first movie, the "Riddles in the Dark" scene was absolutely perfect, probably the most faithful chapter adaptation in any of the Hobbit/LOTR movies.

I know there is a lot of controversy about the 3 movies and especially with this one, but all I've heard so far from people who have seen it say it's REALLY good. I'll find out early next Friday morning.

^I recently read the book and also loved the way Jackson did the "Riddles in the Dark."

I did rewatch the first movie and decided to check out the next movie when it comes out. It does look really good and the effects on Smaug look really nice.

I watched the "extended edition" of The Hobbit recently, only about 12 minutes longer but for some reason it works a lot better than the theatrical version, and the CGI looks like it might have been cleaned up in spots too. So I'm optimistic for the next film - after all, Fellowship was the weakest of the first trilogy so it might be the same case again this time around.

Got around to watching the Disney version of A Christmas Carol last night, which starred Jim Carrey. While I'm not a big fan of Carrey, he did a good job voicing the characters he played (Scrooge and the ghosts). But I'm not a fan of using motion-capture technology as the basis for an entire animated movie. While it does make the creepy scenes of the story even creepier, it also makes the nice, "heartwarming" scenes creepy as hell. All the characters look like they're out of a video game.

I watched the "extended edition" of The Hobbit recently, only about 12 minutes longer but for some reason it works a lot better than the theatrical version, and the CGI looks like it might have been cleaned up in spots too. So I'm optimistic for the next film - after all, Fellowship was the weakest of the first trilogy so it might be the same case again this time around.

Interesting, Fellowship is my favorite of the LOTR trilogy. I felt that ROTK was actually the weakest of the 3.

I just saw Wreck it Ralph yesterday and was REALLY impressed. I'm sure I didn't get half of the gamer in jokes but I liked the throwbacks that I did see. Really good story and showed that Disney Animation is still a force to be reckoned with after some questionable film in the past.

I'm a loyal Pixar guy and I would say that this was probably better than some of the more recent Pixar films too, I guess Lasseter is really having an effect

^ Agreed. When I saw Brave it really cemented the mantra of "Story, story & story!" The film looked fantastic, the colouring was very natural and the landscapes were great, but the story just wasn't great. Definitely a mistake to make her a princess on the back of that.

^Wreck It Ralph was better than Pixar's Brave.

Agreed! I am having a hard time enjoying Pixar movies like I used to.

Pixar haven't had a good movie in years, wasn't a fan of Up, Toy Story 3 ( awful ) missed Brave and Cars 2...Monsters Inc still stands as there best film to date

I'm surprised how if you go to American Hustle's wiki page, it has been nominated for a million awards and hasn't even been released!

Not saying awards make a movie good, but that's impressive if not a little strange.

Anyway, I've been looking forward to that movie since I saw the trailer, so I'm excited for it opening!