TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

^I'm not against "remakes" per se. After all, the thrid version of The Maltese Falcon was the best one, and producers and directors are asways putting different spins on the plays of Shakespeare.

But sometimes they work, and sometimes they don't. The Evil Dead redo just didn't "work" for me; in fact, I found it a bit tedious.

Believe it or not, I have yet to see the original Evil Dead and I love 80's horror movies! I see they have it on Netflix so will have to check them both out.

Just watched Pumpkinhead last night. I would have sworn that I had seen it before, but after the first 15 minutes I knew that I had not. Sort of cheesy in an 80's awesome way, but I have to admit that the old witch and Pumpkinhead were downright creepy and the effects were very well done. Great movie!

I attended two movies over the weekend

Gravity: I really want to go back in time and slap myself for saying this movie looked stupid. I saw the movie in 3D and it was the best 3D I've ever seen, and I hate 3D movies. Plus it wasn't long, I love a movie that doesn't waste time. I loved the camera shots also; from the crazy movements, to the POV shots, uhh I could go on and on. I think it's safe to say this movie was my favorite of the year so far

Carrie: Me being a person who always gives remakes a chance, was a little disappointed by carrie. We or at least I was given the impression there would be a lot more town destruction, and development with Carrie and her mom. But besides that, the acting was pretty good by Julianne Moore and Chloë Mortez. But I couldn't help but think, well they didn't really add anything new or change anything.. What was the point of this remake. Overall I would give it a 6/10 not as bad as other remakes but could of been better.

I was just thinking, it's almost the season for the greatest movie of all time, Jack Frost (the 1997 murder one)!

It is, indeed, the "feel good" horror movie of the holiday seaaon.

Just saw Cool Runnings for the first time since I was a kid. Still great, and better than a lot of the junk dressed up as family films these days (maybe that's nostalgia talking though!).

If Disney ever decide to retheme the Matterhorn they have some solid source material here.

I attended two movies over the weekend

Gravity: I really want to go back in time and slap myself for saying this movie looked stupid. I saw the movie in 3D and it was the best 3D I've ever seen, and I hate 3D movies. Plus it wasn't long, I love a movie that doesn't waste time. I loved the camera shots also; from the crazy movements, to the POV shots, uhh I could go on and on. I think it's safe to say this movie was my favorite of the year so far

Carrie: Me being a person who always gives remakes a chance, was a little disappointed by carrie. We or at least I was given the impression there would be a lot more town destruction, and development with Carrie and her mom. But besides that, the acting was pretty good by Julianne Moore and Chloë Mortez. But I couldn't help but think, well they didn't really add anything new or change anything.. What was the point of this remake. Overall I would give it a 6/10 not as bad as other remakes but could of been better.

Gravity is so good! I do not like 3D movies either but this one was more depth than 3D and I do not mind that.

That is why a remake is a remake. Its the same story retold for a new generation. I don't recall it ever being advertised as a re-telling or a re-working of the original story. Like when Rob Zombie redid Halloween he made sure he put it out there it was a re-telling and not a remake.

I saw Saving Mr Banks last night. Tom Hanks is great in it - I didn't expect to but I really bought his portrayal of Walt Disney. Emma Thompson is terrific in it and there's a really good supporting cast around them. Was really cool seeing both the Walt Disney Studios and Disneyland dressed up to look like 1961!

Overall the film is very good, it maybe drags a little in the middle and there's flashback sequences to 1906 in Australia which slow down the narrative at points but really I think Disney fans are gonna eat this up.

I saw Captain Philips the other day and all I can say is Wow.....Just wow.

I actually stopped breathing a couple of times during the movie! It was amazing! Tom Hanks was simply incredible and I have to say this is one of the best movies ive seen in a LONG time. I loved every minute of it. I didn't think id enjoy it half as much as I did and I really recommend it to everyone. Seriously, see this movie!

I also watched the Evil Dead remake the other day. I havent seen the original but the remake was only alright in my opinion. I mean, I love gore as much as the next horror fan but most of the time I was just thinking half of it wasnt necessary at all! It was just for the sake of more blood and gore. Ugh, I don't know. I wanted to like it more than I did but in the end all I saw was a movie that wanted as many limbs removed throughout the duration as possible XD - Just my thoughts

I do now wanna see the orginal though

I saw "12 Years a Slave" yesterday. Wonderful movie, though it could have benefited from being another hour or so longer (it's been a long time in the theater that 2 hours and 15 minutes went by so fast!) and made to actually look and feel twelve years had past. Also way too many "hey, it's that guy" cameos that pulled me out of the film.

Overall though, it paints a picture that feels incredibly authentic. The horrors of the institution of slavery are neither sugarcoated nor are they exploited. It looks and feels honest throughout the entire performance, which that alone should warrant everyone seeing it. Certainly not the earth-shaking masterpiece that will live on for years to come like I've heard some say, but very good and very much worth everyone's time.

Forgot to say, I got the honor of going to the THOR: The Dark World Hollywood premier. I liked it, it was good, had some great action sequences and an awesome villain (Doctor!). While it wasn't dark or over the top, it was what it was: a fun superhero movie, something you'd expect from any MARVEL film. I'd give it an 8/10

Oh by the way, stay til the very end. 2 Post credits scenes for the win!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Last Saturday I saw Catching Fire and tonight I saw Frozen with my fiancee. Oh wow, 2013 may actually be redeemed in terms of movies if things keep going this way. The former is an intensely superior follow-up to last year's blockbuster with better writing that highlights the strengths of the source material and improves on its faults, better visuals, and all the actors are completely settled into their characters. Jennifer Lawrence gave a better performance here than the performance that won her the Oscar. It is that good.

The latter was, in a word, gorgeous. Gorgeous visuals, gorgeous musical numbers, gorgeous story that took its time setting its pieces in place so that when the conflict finally began, the emotion was already set in, and oh my what a payoff some of those emotional scenes were. I was a little worried with the marketing being so Olaf-intensive that his presence would overtake the movie, but even that was perfectly balanced and quite effective in lightening some of the movie's darker moments, and oh does this movie have its share of dark moments. Ultimately though, it is the relationship of the sisters Anna and Elsa, both played exquisitely by Kristen Bell and Idina Menzel respectively, that makes this such a treasure.

Both get completely earned A rankings from me

Re-watched The Way, Way Back on the weekend. Absolutely love this movie - probably my top pick of 2013 so far. Great cast, very funny, excellent script. And half the movie happens at a water park!

Also saw Bad Grandpa on Saturday night. OK, it's not going to win any Oscars but is very funny in spots (there's a scene set in a strip club which is particularly memorable) and actually has a decent plot for a 'hidden camera' movie.

Watched the first of four Christmas movies that we always watch around this time. It's a Wonderful Life is a great film and it never gets old. Tons of heart, emotion, and light-hearted moments make this is one of my all-time favorite movies.

Just finished watching Star Trek: Into Darkness. Normally I wouldn't have any interest in anything related to Star Trek, but since Benedict Cumberbatch is in this movie, I had to watch it. Great movie all around. Benedict was amazing, as expected, and the rest of the cast was great as well. The special effects may be the best I've seen also. The LOTR movies still make up my top three, but I'd put it at #5 just behind The Avengers.

I went to see The Hunger Games: Catching Fire this weekend. It was excellent, much better than the first Hunger Games, and definitely one of my top 5 for 2013 (although I think Gravity is still #1). Good plot, great acting, not a dull moment in the film, and it really sets up the sequel nicely. I haven't read the books, so I have no idea what happens next, but I've got a guess the two Mockingjay films will be spectacular. I'll need to see it again to determine a final rating, but at least a very high B+ for sure.