TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

Saw Battleship.

Takes so many things from other sources; Transformers, Star Wars, Titanic, Popeye, Pink Panther, A Pup Named Scooby Doo, Lilo and Stitch, Taken, and probably 100's of others.

I Recommend only watching the last 30-40 minutes of the film with the Old dudes that actually say "Your not gonna sink my Battleship" which made me LOL for about 2 minutes.

But compared to Taylor Kitsch films, I'd take this over John Carter.

And (Spoilers?) since this is based on the Hasbro game, I can't wait to see other Game adaptations like; Scrabble, Twister, Cootie, and of course, Hi Ho! Cherry-O The Movie!!

Battleship: This movie was interesting. Another alien invasion flick, however this one is based off the classic Hasbro game, Battleship. Overall, this movie wasn't that good. It did provide some not-too-bad special effects and some very likeable characters, but overall, this movie was lackluster. To be honest, I got exactly what I was expecting. I also didn't like how Liam Neeson's role wasn't major. One thing that was better than I expected was Rihanna's role in the movie. She was much better than I thought and was a convincing character, IMO. Overall, this movie isn't that good, and you shouldn't go out of the way at all to see it. 7.5/10

Well I just saw sinister (advanced screening ) And all I have to say is ...Bring some extra pants LOL...

But this movie sure enough shocked the hell out of me..In a VERY good way!! Now it may be as dumb as a bag of hair..but it's SCARY. Like really scary. The scariest movie I've seen in years ..If you thought insidious was scary you are in for a treat. The acting was good (Loved Ethan hawk in this movie ) Everyone was kinda realistic. The jump scares are scary and effective.

This movie gives me hope about the horror franchise ..Hollywood hasn't destroyed them...yet !!

So Sinister, best horror movie I've seen in years, WILL scare the s^%*t out of you, shocking and disturbing. I give it a 9/10 (VERY RARE FOR HORROR MOVIES ) GO SEE IT !!

Oh and other movies I saw in theaters are

House at the end of the street 3/10 (STAY AWAY)

Dredd 8/10 (great visuals see it in 3D)

End of watch 6/10 ( mehh just mehh)

Went to see Looper Friday night. Really enjoyed it! It's definitely one of those movies where you can't miss anything or you'll be totally lost. It was actually the first movie in ages that I haven't gotten up and gone to bathroom during. Didn't want to miss anything!

Watching Happy Gilmore for the first time, will post review later.

EDIT: Watched it. Interesting movie... I thought it was funny, especially when he was with Bob Barker. Ben Stiller had a unique role as a secondary antagonist, but I thought he did a solid job. Overall, pretty funny movie with a nice little plot and awesome characters. 8/10

Edited by molemaster43

I'm not sure when this went live, or if it's already being discussed in another thread, but the new website for Monsters University looks so much like a real university website, it's scary (pardon the pun). It's got admission information, student testimonies, stuff about the different colleges under the university, and a webstore! Great stuff.

Surely I can't be the only one who's looking forward to this. Here's hoping this sequel isn't as bad as Cars 2, considering Monsters Inc. was a much stronger original movie than Cars in my opinion.

Watching Soul Plane. Within the first 5 minutes, I was dying of laughter. The comedy never lets up, and I'm only 30 minutes it. I haven't even reached the part where Snoop Dogg comes in.
One of my favorite movies !!

I cans see why. It was just straight out hilarious. I bet that anyone at the FAA that watched it laughed themselves to death.

I'm not sure when this went live, or if it's already being discussed in another thread, but the new website for Monsters University looks so much like a real university website, it's scary (pardon the pun). It's got admission information, student testimonies, stuff about the different colleges under the university, and a webstore! Great stuff.

Surely I can't be the only one who's looking forward to this. Here's hoping this sequel isn't as bad as Cars 2, considering Monsters Inc. was a much stronger original movie than Cars in my opinion.

That's seriously awesome.

I just got lost in the site for about 20 minutes looking through everything...the detail is astounding...

I saw two movies over the past weekend.

Looper: This one was not quite as good as I was expecting, but it was still decent. My main issue with the film is that it's a bit too much like an alternate version of the Terminator. Other than that, it's well done and it's got a very creative premise compared to so many other modern movies. One of the better films of this year, and one of the best currently playing. B

Snow White and the Huntsman: I'm glad I didn't go see this in theaters because it would have been a disappointment. For a DVD rental, it's okay, but the movie really isn't very spectacular and has pacing issues (the first hour is very slow, then it moves incredibly quickly through the last 30 minutes). Kristen Stewart is also a horrible choice for the lead role. I've seen worse, as this is certainly watchable, but it's certainly not something to go out of your way for. C+

Over the past couple of days, I've watched three movies that I've wanted to check out, but hadn't gotten around to seeing...until now!

A.I.: Artificial Intelligence: I'm a huge Steven Spielberg fan! Jurassic Park is still my favorite movie, Jaws is in my top 10, I never miss E.T. every time it's on, Saving Private Ryan and Schindler's List are two of the most beautiful movies I've seen, and even his stinkers like War of the Worlds aren't completely terrible. That being said, A.I. is probably one of his more forgettable movies. It isn't bad by any means, but my main problem with it is that it's so mean-spirited, especially with a humanoid child involved, that it feels less enjoyable to watch. I've seen some downright depressing stuff, but there was a bit too much grit in A.I. with many unpleasant characters for it to work for me. Also, I'm not a fan of century or millenia time jumps (unless it's for comedic purposes), so the 2000 year jump towards the end really bothered me. On the other hand, I still think that Haley Joel Osment was one of the best child actors of the late 90s/early 00s, the special effects are nice, the story knew where it was going even if the audience didn't, and I'd be lying if I said the ending wasn't touching. 2.5/5

Adventureland: Reading some trip reports, I know that Robb didn't like this movie as well as other TPR members, yet it had some decent scores on IMDb or Rotten Tomatoes. Plus, it had roller coasters in it, so I decided to check it out. I thought it was O.K., that's about it. Even saying it was "alright" seems like giving it too much credit. I wasn't thrilled that it was built up as comedy, but spends about 85% of its run time being a love triangle drama. It didn't so much stress the comedy of working a low-end job as build up a rather predictable relationship as a result of that job. On another note, I was hoping that Kristen Stewart's miserable performance in Twilight was only limited to Twilight, but I found her to be just as uninteresting in Adventureland. But other than what I've mentioned, many of the side characters were fun, the plot was engaging enough to just sit through, and it was nice to see some shots of Kennywood. 2/5

Deep Rising: I really thought this movie was going to be unbearable. I pictured it as being an overbloated, campy scifi with actors taking their parts too seriously, saying the worst pieces of dialogue in cinema history, and chocking it full of not-scary CGI. Well, as it turned out, Deep Rising was a very very stupid movie, but it did everything that a stupid movie is supposed to do right: Incredibly easy plot to follow, a couple fun/interesting characters, indications of the actors enjoying themselves, and mixing up the action so every new sequence is fresh and fun. It's predictable, the characters are idiots, but I doubt this movie was meant to be taken seriously anyway. That being said, it really isn't a good movie per se, but I recommend it if you're in the mood for a "leave your brain at the door" movie. 2.5/5

I saw Sinister is last night at a preview by my house. I did not like it at all. I do not want to give to much away because I know a lot of people want to see it. I'm glad I did not pay for it. I figured it would be bad when I saw the people that did Insidious did it. But on the reverse the people that do the Paranormal Activity movies helped - and that is one my favorite series ever. I will say this... there was NO chemistry between the main characters. They seem like really different people in real life and it showed in my opinion. However, Eathan Hawk does a good good job with the role.

My sister got her Pre-ordered copy of Prometheus on Blu Ray yesterday, and I borrowed it last night. We saw this in the theater together and loved it.

Without spoiling anything, it's a very cerebral film, compared to a lot of others that came out this summer, and its also very well presented, and well acted, particularly by Michael Fassbender, Guy Pearce, and Noomi Rapace. Plus it has once scene that I think rivals the Chestburster scene from Alien in its discomfort and horror factor, IMO. By the very end, my sister and I were abuzz with discussions on what the themes and events of the film meant, and could potentially lead to, along with the design of the creatures, of course.

This is a movie that, I think, gets unfairly "shatnered" upon, as the folks at Galactic Watercooler like to say. It wasn't perfect, and it wasn't as good as Alien, but still, it's a great film on its own, and I think time will vindicate it from the nitpickers. Between this and The Dark Knight Rises, Frankly, I think my fellow geeks' standards and expectations have gone to unreasonably high levels in recent years, and almost no new movie can ever fulfill them. How The Avengers escaped the attack of the nitpickers is a mystery I've yet to solve.

Also, I checked out the deleted/alternate scenes, and there was so much here that could have worked really well, had it been left in the final product. One thing about Ridley Scott that drives me nuts, is that he's constantly second-guessing himself on his material. Great examples of this are the mutliple cuts of Blade Runner, the deleted cocoon scene from Alien, and the mind-boggling decision to cut Jerry Goldsmith's mesmerizing score from Legend, replacing it with Tangerine Dream.

Anyway, I give Prometheus a solid 4 out of 5 stars.

We Redboxed Snow White and the Huntsman the other day. I really didn't expect much going into it so I wasn't let down in the least. I cannot stand Kristen Stewart. She only spoke maybe 5 sentences for about her first 30 minutes of screen time; just grunted and panted while running around. The direction was terrible; certain parts of the story didn't connect. How did she go through a sewer, jump off a cliff into the ocean, wash up on a beach but yet end up in a village with the guards just a few seconds behind her? And she looks like Bugs Bunny. Her front teeth are too big for her mouth! She looks like she's straining every time she tries to close her lips around those teeth. Poor choice for Snow White. Glad I only paid $1.28 to watch it.

I'm mildly claustrophobic, and just found out that Buried was put on Netflix. I'll report back after the film. Wish me luck that I don't hyperventilate!

Update: NO. NEVER EVER AGAIN. EVER. PLEASE, NEVER AGAIN. OH GOD WHY.

Update 2: Ok, now that I've had a day to recover, I can give my rational opinion.

It was really quite good, but it was frustrating. I understand that nobody could think clearly when in a situation like Paul's, being buried alive by terrorists, but he was just nonsensically stupid to some of the people he talked to. It wasn't enough to ruin the movie, though.

Ryan Reynolds was fantastic in my opinion. He seemed genuinely mortified through the whole thing, and his moments of sheer panic were some of the most intense and disturbing I've seen. The cinematography is the real star here, though: for a movie taking place entirely within a coffin, it was shot absolutely beautifully. And save for the scene with the snake, which was painfully stupid, the whole film was tense, especially those last thirty minutes. I don't think I've ever shaken as much as I did after this movie ended.

I love how much I hated it. It's worth seeing, but it's definitely not a movie to enjoy.

Edited by onewheeled999