TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

I like watching movie's. Because watching movie's is best source of entertainment. So i like action movie's like The Expendables 2, The Dark Knight,Inception,The Dark Knight Rises,The Avengers,Gangs of Wasseypur and many more that types actoin movie's.

The Catechism Cataclysm - I guess I just didn't get most of the attempted humor despite staying with it and really trying to enjoy it.

We even tried watching the commentary and could only go about ten minutes into it as we were hoping it would try to explain to us just what the hell the movie was trying to pull off. I like weird, dark humor, but this just felt...unbalanced.

Maybe someone on here that has seen it can explain the gist?

My personal review? Awesome movie...if you're addicted to snorting Glade.

I saw The Expendables 2 on Friday night and I really enjoyed it. I love all the old (and some new) action stars making appearances, and I love how fun the movie is without taking itself too seriously. It was a nice change of pace from the completely straight-faced action movies of late.

Okay, after seeing it for a second time, I take back everything I said. The Big Lebowski is an awesome movie. I don't know how to explain it, but everything about it just seemed infinitely better this time.

Also, I just got back from ParaNorman.

If you have a passing interest in animation or horror, SEE THIS MOVIE. It's that good. It may be a little too edgy for kids, and really pushes the boundaries of PG, but that shouldn't hinder your enjoyment of it.

Saw two movies recently:

Wrath of the Titans - Okay, this movie is good. The special effects are absolutely incredible. I loved them. But the story wasn't that good, honestly. Personally I liked Clash of the Titans more. Overall, it was a good movie: 8/10

Act of Valor - The war scenes in this movie were just holy crap. The war scenes were really well done, IMO. The movie is pretty depressing, but it is a great movie to watch. Overall, pretty good movie: 8/10

Found out I had the Dark Knight on DVD, so I decided to watch it for the first time. Got so bored with it I ended up turning it off halfway through to put on a different movie. Am I the only one who dislikes that movie? It seems to have received outstanding reviews.

Yes.

I guess I can whore myself out here. I have been in 5 different movies so far! Two have only been extras, and the others are only featured extras. I'm still proud of the work done for them anyway!

One is already out on DVD, and that would be Snowmen. I was one of the main bullies in that one. The others that I were featured in are Orc Wars and The Shadow Cabal feature. I played an orc in both, and a lovely ghoul in The Shadow Cabal. TBD on when they will come out.

The extra work was small, but fun! The were for a Sundance film, Hot Bot, and an ABC Family original, Misteltones.

Now you can go spend money on these and watch them with the fabulous me in them, who you guys don't even know! Newbies gotta start somewhere on here, right?

Found out I had the Dark Knight on DVD, so I decided to watch it for the first time. Got so bored with it I ended up turning it off halfway through to put on a different movie. Am I the only one who dislikes that movie? It seems to have received outstanding reviews.

I couldn't stay awake through it. But then again I have never liked any super hero action movie really.

• 2 weeks later...

Went on a bit of a movie watching spree over the past few days.

Super Troopers: Watched this at the request of my technical theatre teachers, who claimed it's one of the funniest movies ever made. Nope, I hated it. It had its moments, but it just didn't do anything for me at all. If I want a silly movie about drugs, I'll watch The Big Lebowski again.

Four Lions: This, on the other hand, I loved. If you've never heard of it, it can be best described as The Three Stooges if they were suicide bombers. It's just as dark as it sounds, and despite the subject matter, was incredibly funny. Highly recommended.

Fun with Dick and Jane (2005): I watched this in my Economics class with absolutely zero expectations, and you know what? I liked it. Jim Carrey is so much fun to watch, he had good chemistry with the lead actress, and the story was delightfully silly. While I wouldn't call it "good" per se, I had fun with it.

LotR: The Fellowship of the Ring: You know what, I'll just say it... I've never seen these movies. So I'm borrowing the Extended Editions from my friend, and got through the first film last night. Wow. Three hours and twenty minutes of excellence. Although it got a bit too slow for my taste toward the end, and I had trouble differentiating Aragorn and Boromir throughout the movie, and I had some minor nitpicks with the camerawork (do we really need to ZOOOOOOOOOOOOM IN! on a character's face again?), it was still one of the most impressive films I've ever seen, and I can't wait to catch the rest of the series.

EDIT: Ha ha, very funny, mods. I'll shorten the full title of that last movie.

^You should really enjoy the third movie. By far the best. The second has an awesome battle, but the worst overall movie. It still is a great movie.

A Thousand Words: Rollercoaster_Rider is gonna hate me for this, but I happened to enjoy this movie. Not the greatest, but the movie had some good humor. Eddie Murphy was enjoyable here. Not my favorite Murphy movie, but a good one. Overall: 8/10

I went and saw Trouble with the Curve over the weekend. It was just okay. While Clint Eastwood is great as usual and the other leads did a good job, the film is just a bit too generic and predictable to be a notable drama. It's worth seeing, but unless you're a huge fan of Clint Eastwood I'd probably recommend saving money and just waiting for the DVD. I'd give the film a C+.

I saw V/H/S last week. Some of the stories were very well done, while a couple of them fell flat. I didn't really care for the whole plot of the voyeurs having to break into the house and steal the VHS tape. Just seemed kind of a forced story to try and tie the whole anthology together. I don't think this is that groundbreaking for the horror genre like some are making it out to be, but it definitely was a good overall film.

Started off my Halloween season with a few classic horror/thriller's

Dracula (1931)

Still an absolute classic movie. Bela Lugosi is classic in the lead role but I really think Helen Chandler is underrated as Mina.

House on Haunted Hill (1959)

Like the above, still an amazing movie. Vincent Price is amazing in this movie and it just goes to show you can make a horror movie without blood and guts.

I Spit on Your Grave (1978)

I actually remember watching this movie with my grandparents when I was about 10 years old ... WTH were they thinking?

This movie has widely (incorrectly) been labeled as a movie that glorifies rape. I don't know how anybody could watch this movie and think that. The scenes are absolutely brutal and sickening, moreso than the "revenge" scenes that come later. Has some classic "revenge" killings if you can stomach the middle 1/3 of the movie.

A couple months ago, I watched the Truman Show for the first time (mostly as an optional tie-in to Thomas More's Utopia which we were reading in class), and I thought that it was a fantastic movie. I just finished watching it again, and I now know that I was wrong, it is an AMAZINGLY smart, satirical, funny, cynical yet hopeful movie. The story itself, and the elements it uses to drive its decisions are very original and work so well. Jim Carrey is surprisingly dramatic, the set pieces and setting look fantastic, and all the other characters fall into place as an estranged satire of the media's place in the world. The whole backstory with Carrey's character falling in love with the extra really is one of the most touching story arcs I've seen in recent film history. After getting past the confusion the first time around, you notice a LOT of things the second time around that you couldn't catch; funny things in the background, various actors/actresses in other roles, even a few bits of dialogue that not only make more sense, but adds a whole new level of context you hadn't noticed before. It's all so carefully crafted and taken to heart, and the score is so dynamic. After watching it again, I think the Truman Show might actually crack into my top ten favorite movies!

Seeing Looper tonight with some friends. I'll be back with my opinion either late tonight, or tomorrow.

UPDATE: It's good. Reeeally good.

For most of the movie, I'd be willing to put it up there with Moon in my favorite science fiction movies. The story and world are very well realized (minus one briefly-explained element that is absent for much of the movie, and really only serves to explain the deus ex machina at the end), and the visual effects are pretty phenomenal.

Notice that I said "most of the movie", though. A decent chunk of it is spent away from almost all science fiction elements, turning it more into a slow family drama, and it just didn't work for me. The kid in particular took away a lot from that part of the film, with his annoyingly adult-like writing and.. I don't know how to say this without being incredibly shallow, but the way he looked just really bothered me.

That doesn't detract terribly much from the film as a whole, though. It's still definitely worth seeing, I'd give it a 4/5.

Edited by onewheeled999