TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

Last week, I watched Amazing Spiderman at the Regal Theaters Oceanside. It was a good movie, but not great. It's only a tad better than the original Spiderman movie mainly because of the effects. Usually, in superhero movies, the villians are a bit lamer than the superhero, but the Lizard wasn't lame at all. I would rate Amazing Spiderman 3/5 stars. It's just an average superhero film.

While everyone is busy watching super heroes I will be seeing Step Up Revolution next week! I know, it looks silly and I could NOT AGREE MORE! Alas, I am sucker for easy to follow movies. Plus the dancing in this one looks AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish my body could move like they move theirs in these movies.

Also I still want to see People Like Us even though it is not longer at the theater by my house.

Went with three friends to a trilogy screening in IMAX last night. These movies are fantastic separate, and together they create what has to be one of the absolute best trilogies ever made. I would certainly choose TDK over TDKR, but I can't wait to go see the new one again - it's amazing.

This year seems to be the year of the threequel - The Dark Knight Rises is a fantastic conclusion to the new Batman trilogy, Men in Black 3 actually didn't suck, and I actually liked Madagascar 3 better than the original film!

^Just stayed up till midnight getting the soundtrack.....OH...MY...GOD. Hans Zimmer....is a freaking genius. This has to be one of the best movie soundtracks of all time. I am absolutely blown away by it.

I stayed up as well however I'm a little dissapointed by the soundtrack, I'm sure it fits in the movie perfect, I was expecting much more from Hans Zimmer. I much prefer the Dark Knight soundtrack.

-- James

^Just stayed up till midnight getting the soundtrack.....OH...MY...GOD. Hans Zimmer....is a freaking genius. This has to be one of the best movie soundtracks of all time. I am absolutely blown away by it.

I stayed up as well however I'm a little dissapointed by the soundtrack, I'm sure it fits in the movie perfect, I was expecting much more from Hans Zimmer. I much prefer the Dark Knight soundtrack.

-- James

I agree. It fits into the movie perfectly, but falls a little short to people on its own because of how specifically it's crafted.

Also, everyone needs to read this: there was a mass shooting at a midnight screening of Dark Knight Rises....12 people dead as of now.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57476379/mass-shooting-at-batman-showing-in-denver-suburb-aurora-colorado/

my thoughts and prayers go out to all those who were killed....this is such a horrible incident...

This year seems to be the year of the threequel - The Dark Knight Rises is a fantastic conclusion to the new Batman trilogy

I couldn't agree more. This Batman trilogy and the original Star Wars trilogy are now my three all time favorites. Yes, I consider Star Wars Episodes 4-6 a trilogy.

At this point, I would have to say my two favorite movies of 2012 are The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises.

I thought TDKR was good. The last 45 minutes were incredible, and what I expected of the whole movie after watching the first two in a marathon immediately before, but as a whole, I consider it the weakest of the three films.

That said, I was pretty tired by the time the film started. I had a little trouble following The Dark Knight's plot for that reason, so that definitely played a part in my enjoyment of the film. I'll likely be seeing it again when I'm wide awake.

I should probably explain myself a little bit.. Bane was good, but too hard to understand. Blake was well-acted, but too bland to carry the film. I had a lot of trouble staying interested in anything but Bruce's story for much of the film. The set piece at the end felt hokey. That actually goes for the whole film.. the first two had a sort of realistic (well, as realistic as a Batman movie can get), gritty feel to them, but something about this one felt wrong to me. I dunno how to explain it.

Edited by onewheeled999

I saw TDKR and was thoroughly impressed. As a whole, the plot has a really different feel from the original Dark Knight, but nonetheless was still stunning.

As for the soundtrack, I was getting goosebumps from start to finish. And for the villain, Heath Ledger as the Joker was simply too fantastic to be topped. Whoever acted as Bane did an amazing job, but he falls ever so slightly short of Ledger's performance. The original Dark Knight as a whole I think is my favorite of the trilogy, but as a whole, the trilogy is one of the best ever crafted, and TDKR follows suit with the other two films and doesn't disappoint. It's a rare must see in my eyes.

I was glued to my seat for TDKR the entire time. I really appreciated the back story given on Bayne and the twists in the end. I was so into that movie! One more thing, Anne Hathaway as Catwoman, I've been listening to crap from fan boys for a while now about how they thought they could have casted Catwoman better, and then the film came out and shut them up, absolutely amazing performance!

I saw Dark Knight Rises yesterday and it was a really good movie, I actually think it's better than the Avengers. The whole movie had many twists to it and it had lots of suspense. Sometimes, Bane was hard to hear what he was saying, but I thought he was an amazing villian. This movie is definitely the best one this whole year.

Just watched Real Steel, and I have to say, I hope this becomes a reality.

I thought the whole idea of robot boxing was pretty cool and seeing it in Real Steel made it look awesomer. The robots looked really nice and looked pretty realistic. Hugh Jackman had a great role. Overall: 8/10.

Somewhat disappointed by the Dark Knight Rises. There's a lot of characters to follow, Batman isn't on the screen half the movie, Catwoman has no whip, Bane is a good villain...but not as good as the Joker. His plans aren't that elaborate, fun/scary to watch, and not that memorable. The second half of the movie was a bummer. But everything was pretty overwhelming and it was like, 2 in the morning so I'll have to see it again.

Also, I'm never ever ever going to settle for the 1-10 first rows in a theatre. That's not a way to see a movie; with your neck at a 70* angle for 3 hours.

^I think the issue for many people with TDKR is because it's such a departure from TDK. Nolan created each of these movies in the trilogy with their own unique feel and style, while still keeping them grounded and relatable to one another. The depressive darkness and random destruction of the Joker is replaced by unending chaos and a methodical and brutal Bane. It has a very different feel from Dark Knight, and if you went in expecting it to have the same feel, I'm not surprised you were let down.

People will continuously compare Bane to the Joker, but I really think they're both amazing villains. Heath Ledger's portrayal of the Joker was absolutely stunning and unmatched. Bane, as a villain had an extremely tough act to follow, and with what they had I think they did a fantastic job. Both of them have some incredibly powerful quotes, and I think Bane's Stock Market comment is possibly one of the best movie lines ever written. Sure it's simple, but it's incredibly powerful at the same time.

Agreed. Joker and Bane are complete, polar opposites of each other, and that's what I like so much about Nolan's choice to use Bane as a follow-up. And the Nolan brothers did a fantastic job tying this movie together with the others, particularly Batman Begins. Every revelation about the prison and the characters in the prison (doing my best not to spoil anything) had my jaw dropping, with one in particular that I can't mention, but offered a very key link all the way back to Begins. They really did a great job bringing everything full-circle, and closing out what is easily one of the best trilogies and the absolute best comic book movies ever made.

Just wondering what people's opinions of the two Death at a Funeral movies are, if anyone's seen both of them.

I've seen both, and although it is essentially an unnecessary remake of the original, I prefer the American version. I just preferred the humor in the American version. Particularly, I thought James Marsden as Oscar IMO was much better than Alan Tudyk as Simon. Both had me laughing out loud, but some of Marsden's lines were really hilarious (while others were copied). Maybe the main reason I found James Marsden so funny in the movie is because his role is so vastly different to his role as Cyclops in X Men, which was the last movie I saw him in. To see him first as a serious, fairly boring character and then suddenly as a hilariously drug- influenced person at a funeral was a bit of a shock for me.

Anyway, I know most people can't get past the fact that the American version of Death at a Funeral is practically a line-by-line duplicate of the original, but I just found the American version more enjoyable personally.

At 7:30 tonight, Williamsburg's Movie Tavern will be showing the 1966 Batman flick starring Adam West and Burt Ward. I'll be there to have a beer and catch this camp classic on the big screen.

Holy cinematic revival!

And always remember to keep your . . .

. . . handy!

Edited by cfc

Sorry for the double post.

I watched "Journey 2: The Mysterious Island" today. This movie stars Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, Josh Hutcherson, Vanessa Hudgens, Luis Guzman and Michael Caine. The movie surprised me. The shocking part was that from the commercials, the movie looked pretty stupid. However, I actually enjoyed the movie, especially the humor from The Rock's character, Michael Caine's character, and Luis Guzman's character. The movie had some great action and adventure scenes and I thought the storyline was well done and how they made the whole premise of the movie by combining three famous books. Overall, solid movie: 7.5/10

• 3 weeks later...

Went and saw The Campaign the other day. Loved it! It was really refreshing to watch a political satire that didn't chose sides. It ripped on democrats as much as it did on republicans. Also the characters were not what I expected, but was thoroughly entertained and laughed my ass off.

Well I finally saw the Dark knight and the Dark knight rises and all I really have to say is....Ehh... I liked TDKR slightly more than TDK. I would give the all 3 movies about a 3.8 or a 3.9....I know all you dark knight fanboys are about to go crazy LOL !!

Oh yeah I also saw Sparkle. Pretty decent movie. Yeah it is kinda full of cliche's, But I wasn't bored for a second. 3/5