TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

I recently saw Battleship. Good action, bad acting. The actors acted a bit goofy and I'm not a fan of Taylor Kitsch. After just seeing the Avengers the week before, Battleship was a bit let down. I actually enjoyed the Three Stooges (movie) better than Battleship.

I saw the premiere of Men in Black 3. Not a bad movie since it has been such a long time since the 2nd one came out. It's one of those movies you kinda get confused and think for yourself right until the end. It all makes sense in the end. And if you lived through the Apollo missions (Don't know if anyone on here has) you might like it since it has a big chunk of the movie during 1969 at Cape Canaveral. Go see it if you get the chance.

I finally saw The Avengers last week, and enjoyed it. Mark Ruffalo stole the show as Bruce Banner/The Hulk (even though old Green Skin didn't have as much screen time as the other characters). He has the single best line in the whole flick. Ruffalo brought some dry humor to Banner, which was lacking in other Marvel movies.

So my friends convinced me to get over my squeamishness, and watch Drive today. It floored me (See what I did there? Hehe. Puns), to say the least. This pretty much sums up my opinion of the film.

I was completely enveloped in the complexities of the characters, as well as the decisions they had to make out of morality, or their own well-being (in the best and worst sense of the word). I loved how the movie did not have to resort to cheap cliches that most action movies seem to dish out nowadays, and how the movie took advantage of the spacious dialogue, completely relying on the emotions of the characters and the gravities of each situation to explain what was happening throughout. Finally, the gory moments definitely brought a pleasant shock value. Couple that with the classic "heist-gone-wrong" setup and the hauntingly spectacular performances of Gosling and Brooks, and I find Drive to be a beautiful love letter to filmography.

I don't understand how anyone could call it boring. It was one of the most tense and emotional films I've seen in recent memory. And I absolutely loved it.

I've seen the Avengers twice now, and as seems to be the general consensus I loved it. The comedy was perfectly timed and the action impeccably staged (take note, Michael Bay: massive action set pieces can be used without cuts every 0.06 seconds). In an age of jaded moviegoers and cynical critics, it's heartening to see the four-year build up that began with the post-credits scene of Iron Man come to a satisfying and memorable culmination.

We went to the drive-in Saturday to see a Battleship/Avengers double feature. We really weren't all that interested in seeing Battleship, but it came on first so we watched it anyway. It was pretty good. Nothing that blew me away, but it wasn't terrible. The acting wasn't phenomenal or anything. I was disappointed that Liam Neeson and Alexander Skarsgard didn't get that much screen time, though.

But it was worth it to sit through Battleship to see Avengers. We loved it! I agree with whoever said Mark Ruffalo was a great Banner. And, of course, I love Robert Downey, Jr. Everyone was great, actually. I'm sure we'll be owning this one.

My friend and I agreed that Hulk won the bad-assery award for completely demolishing any and all opposition, while Iron Man won the award for best overall dialogue. Pretty awesome movie. The only problem was that for several hours after the movie we were sitting around trying to think of other characters to add into a "most epic movie of all time" movie; instead of just the Avengers, why not include every amazing movie/video game character in history into one movie? It was getting pretty darn hard to comprehend how any of it was tied together at all. It was a great way to spend a night.

It was pretty good. Nothing that blew me away, but it wasn't terrible. The acting wasn't phenomenal or anything. I was disappointed that Liam Neeson and Alexander Skarsgard didn't get that much screen time, though.

I think that sums up Battleship for me too. I just went and enjoyed it, not worrying if it was actually good or bad. ...just taking in an early run-of-the-mill "summer popcorn movie".

BTW, I'm a big Liam Neeson fan and was disappointed about his lack of screen time too.

Saw men in black 3 yesterday. The 3D was good the story was good but it fell flat to me in some points. The jokes aren't that funny ( which I was really hoping they would be) But it's an ok movie don't go expecting a lot!!!!! Men in black 6.5/10

Sorry I keep being the C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!, posting movies that came out ages ago, when everyone else is discussing recent releases, haha.. I'm just now getting really into watching movies, so I have a lot of catching up to do.

Anyway: I took the plunge, and decided to watch the unrated version of Requiem for a Dream on IFC.

Wow. I knew it was going to be depressing, but that movie was just plain emotionally draining.. but it was absolutely incredible. I'd rank it up with some of the best films I have ever seen, on the condition that I never have to watch it again. I mean, those last fifteen minutes were crushing. The shocks.. UGH

Sorry I keep being the C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!, posting movies that came out ages ago, when everyone else is discussing recent releases, haha.. I'm just now getting really into watching movies, so I have a lot of catching up to do.

Anyway: I took the plunge, and decided to watch the unrated version of Requiem for a Dream on IFC.

Wow. I knew it was going to be depressing, but that movie was just plain emotionally draining.. but it was absolutely incredible. I'd rank it up with some of the best films I have ever seen, on the condition that I never have to watch it again. I mean, those last fifteen minutes were crushing. The shocks.. UGH

hahahhahaa OMG I just watched this movie for the first time ever two nights ago! I know what you mean!!

It definitely was a very unnerving movie. I couldn't sleep for hours after watching it. I think it's one of the scariest movies I've ever seen, because unlike most horror movies, this s**t is real. And it's really scary to think how quickly drugs can spiral downward into such a hopeless vortex of addiction. I've known quite a few people who were drug addicts, and the thing that always gets me the most is how quickly and unexpectedly taking a few drugs turns into a complete, hopeless addiction.

I think the movie captured that aspect of addiction really well. Thinking especially for the girl, Marion... how quickly things progressed for her from sleeping with a guy she's obviously been with before to get drug money, to basically selling herself sexually to a complete stranger. Very scary.

Glad to hear someone else saw it recently that could discuss it! This movie is definitely one I won't soon forget!

^ It's all gonna be alright, Marion...

I'm glad I'm not the only one to have, erm, experienced it recently. What's weird is that, a few days later, I have the urge to watch it again. I know it'll depress the heck out of me all over again, but it was just so darn well made, I want to give it another watch to fully appreciate that. Especially the scenes with Sara, her story is by far my favorite (if that's an appropriate word for this topic, haha) of the four.

So in my quest to see as many "essential" movies as I can, I caught The Big Lebowski last night. It was alright, I guess. Strange movie. Despite people calling it one of the greatest comedies ever, I just didn't find it to be very funny at all. Donny, the third-wheel of the group, cracked me up, but that's about it.. I've heard a lot of people hate it the first time, then come to fully appreciate it with repeat viewings. So I'll give it a week or so, then try again, most likely.

^Sometimes, Coen Brothers' movies have to grow on you a bit. I think Big Lebowski is pretty funny; however, I have friends who love The Husdsucker Proxy, a movie that bored me to death.

I was in the mood for a horror flick last night, so I checked out Chernobyl Diaries. It was passable, but this whole "Blair Witch" subgenre is feeling a bit played out.

Just caught snow white and the huntsman last friday night and did not really care for it. It was dark, dreary, slow, talky and kind of dull. Theron was very good as the wicked queen and the whole movie had a cool look but overall I would not reccomend..

I've heard a lot of people hate it the first time, then come to fully appreciate it with repeat viewings. So I'll give it a week or so, then try again, most likely.

Absolutely this. The first time I saw it, I really was just on the fence about it...it showed promise, but was never that interesting to me. But after watching it again a few months later, I totally got what it's trying to do, and to me, it became infinitely better.

Give it a few weeks, then go back and give it another try. Since you know the basics this time around, you can focus more on the detailed bits of comedy, and believe me, the movie is crammed full of them.

Prometheus. Visually stunning, and sci-fi driven horror film that brings out some of the Alien anthropology mysteries out into the open. Its a movie about discovering the past. Its also kinda about creating the future. With these two story lines correlating, we truly get to see the many sides of human nature. The script was way more grandiose than it turned out to be but still accomplished its goals. Its a movie that gets down to the basics. Life. Death. Living. Survival. Bravery. Fear. All wrapped in an almost neat package. Many things were left for interpretation and many questions were left unanswered. Its no Alien film, though it is its beginning.

I just took my little cousin to see the Avengers. For what it was, it was a really fun movie. For the first time, I felt the Hulk was used successfully. The mix of action and light comedy really worked well. The movie moved along at a quick pace and I never felt like there was too much information being thrown at the audience. Even if you haven't seen the various 'prequels' you are brought up to speed effectively.

Plenty of eye candy for the boys and girls as well.

A

For the first time, I felt the Hulk was used successfully.

This

Plenty of eye candy for the boys and girls as well.

And this. xD

I just got back from seeing the Avengers too. I didn't really like the first half of the movie and was starting to think, "Really? This is what everyone is on about?" but the 2nd half made up for it and was more what I expected. I never liked the Hulk before but the way they portrayed him in this movie + Mark Ruffalo =

Question... which villain is the one at the end with the red face?

Did anyone else stay through the entire credits? Shawarma date.

Question... which villain is the one at the end with the red face?

It is supposedly Thanos, this is what Wikipedia saids:

Thanos is a behind-the-scenes villain that makes a brief appearance during the closing credits of the 2012 film The Avengers,[47] portrayed by actor Damion Poitier.[48] He is revealed to have been Loki's benefactor, having provided the Chitauri army used by Loki in his attempted invasion of Earth. When advised by his intermediary (known simply as the "Other") that opposing the Avengers would be "to court death," Thanos glances at the camera and flashes an evil grin.