TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

Continuing our quest to watch all Best Picture Nominees

The Descendants

I thought it was really good. It really is, if nothing more, a "love letter" to Hawaii. The performances in the movie are nothing short of brilliant. The scenery in the movie, amazing. The island(s) are used to perfection as the background of some pretty intense stuff. But (IMO), where this movie could have gone off into REALLY dark territory (ala American Beauty) it didn't, and I'm glad it didn't.

Not sure if it's my pick for best picture, but so far, from what I've seen, George Clooney is my pick for best Actor.

There was one thing that bothered me though:

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

If you are married to George Clooney, why would you have an affair with the guy who played Shaggy in the Scooby Doo movies?

So, I watched Hobo With a Shotgun a few weekends ago... Let's just say that it was completely gratuitous in every way, form, and manner. Lots of blood, gore, violence, swearing, and ACTION! What can you expect? It was made to look like a grindhouse film from the 80's! At some points, the sheer insanity of it all got to me for a bit, but I was able to quickly recover from either laughing or going "awww" from the one or two sentimental moments it squeezed in.

If none of that sounds particularly fun to watch to you, then avoid at all costs. If you have an iron stomach and an open mind, then go for it. It made my Top 10 list.

8.5/10

Went to the theater last week to see Chronicle...was skeptical at first because the trailer I saw online basically spoiled the whole plot. Or so I thought...

Great great movie that is filmed sort of Cloverfield-style, but in a more interesting way. (if you've seen it you know what I mean) I would recommend it for anyone.

8/10.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011 Remake)

I absolutely love the original version, and wasn't quite sure this was needing a remake, and so soon.

I was wrong. I absolutely LOVED this. It's a totally different interpretation of the Swedish version and there is no reason why both can't be great, because both are.

This was a much more "streamlined" movie than that version, leaving out a lot of detail that wasn't really needed to concentrate on the main aspect of the book (what happened to Harriet Vanger). The performances, especially Rooney Mara, amazing.

Very well done!!!

Gregg agree one hundred per cent.

Sadly also saw This Means War, aspart from hoping Jake (?) would take off his shirt, alas he does not. The movie was, well nothing.

The Artist

Totally loved it and totally understand why it's getting all the accolades it's getting. It was funny, well acted and had an awesome story.

I totally get why Berenice Bejo is getting so many accolades for the movie. She was great, and totally hot. I didn't realize it was the same person who was in A Knights Tale (with Heath Ledger)

Only have a few more movies to watch before Sunday.

War Horse

It was good ... not sure if it was "Best Picture" good, but I did enjoy it. Some parts were hard to watch, but overall it was very well done.

Just seemed to me that it was one of those movies that was made for the Oscars, not because it was something screaming to be made into a movie. Probably my least favorite of the nominated movies (still have a couple more to watch tomorrow).

3 1/2 out of 5 Stars

I saw Chronicle this afternoon, and absolutely loved it!

Not only did it re-define a genre that at times can be stale with very unique camera views via telekenesis, but it had a very reliable high school experience substorms that I think probably caused it to be liked by the teenage crowd even more. Not to mention that the movie balanced out the CGI effects, comedy, and character progression pretty evenly, and had a pretty shocking conclusion that I think left many people stunned (myself included).

Really great movie, probably the best movie in the "handheld camera" genre that I've seen. Top notch special effects, a great story, and some decent acting all made this my favorite movie of 2012 that I've seen so far.

I saw John Carter last night and I loved it so much!!!

I was un-familiar with the John Carter of Mars books going into the movie. All I knew was it was a very old story by the guy who had written Tarzan. I keep reading reviews online from people who were confused by the very beginning of the movie. I kept up just fine.

I think there were a few moments were the story got bogged down, but they more than made up for it with the amazing visuals and action. I left the theater feeling like I had gotten my moneys worth.

I really hope that the positive word of mouth saves this movie. I really want to see more of Barsoom in future sequels to this series.

Go see John Carter! I highly recommend it.

^ Agreed. One of the best movies I've seen in a long time.

I am, however, very aware of the books and absolutely LOVE them(Which is odd because I never read Sci-Fi). Andrew Stanton did an amazing job with the story and it was so easy to follow, I don't get how people got confused with the story at all. Maybe since I've read the books I could follow more?

Definitely give it a try, it's a great time. I'm so disappointed with the horrible marketing Disney did for it.

^Yeah! Disney totally killed John Carter's chances of being successful with that awful ad campaign. I had seen almost every trailer and preview, and I still felt like I went into the movie knowing absolutely nothing at all.

I think I'll need to read the books because it's looking less and less likely that sequels are going to be made.

^ Oh, jeez, don't even get me started..

That football scene. That drug dealer scene. That flower shop scene. That trademark "Oh, hi ______!" greeting. Those three gratuitous sex scenes within the first half hour of the film, that actually repeat shots (Thank God I watched a censored version on [Adult Swim], the entire screen was a black bar for like 30 seconds at a time... I'm scared to know what was behind it). That EVERYTHING...

Brilliant movie.

I saw Project X. It was my first R movie in the theater without a parent as I recently turned 17 (I went with friends). I thought it was hilarious. I suppose you can only enjoy the movie if you accept that it's supposed to be over the top. The story gets shaky at some points, but gets back on it's feet in the last 20 minutes or so. I highly recommend it if you just want to laugh at... society?

I caught The Prankster on today. I was seriously surprised by this movie. It took your typical high school film about growing up, the outcasts dealing with jocks and such, and actually made it believable and gave it some meat, opposed to resorting to crude humor and sex constantly. Was a welcome break from the same old teen movies that are entirely centered around these. There were actual conversations, and a big focus on character interactions. I didn't like the movie at first because I thought this was exactly what it would be, but it really grew on me as I watched.

A really good lighthearted film which may appeal to a wider demographic than just high school kids.

Just came back from the midnight premiere of the Hunger Games, and although it was extremely similar to the book, I was not impressed. I don't mean to say the movie sucked by any means, but something about it just felt...absent. It was quite long, clocking in close to two-and-a-half hours. Also, I know it had to maintain a PG-13 rating, but the violence onscreen was not as visceral as I would have liked after having read the way the book depicted violence. Overall, If you read the book then you may want to see it to form your own opinion, but if you haven't read the book you might be lost a bit, as it shaved off some key details that may have appeared dull to cut down the length.