TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

I work at a theater so I get free movies! Here's my take on a few movies out now:

War Horse: I was expecting so much from this film and while it had a great story to it, it DRAGGED throughout the beginning, to the point that I almost fell asleep 3 times before we even got to the war! The WWI scenes were done very well and made me think about Saving Private Ryan in many ways. But even the ending seemed to drag on too. If it had better pacing it would have been a contender for film of the year.

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows: This movie was just plain awesome. The action was great, the acting was spot on, and the plot didn't suck. Robert Downey Jr. is reason enough to see this movie with how well he has crafted Sherlock into a quirky yet brilliany detective. Back it up with a strong performance gtom Jude Law and you have a winner of a film, shame not many people have come to see it since the midnight release.

We Bought a Zoo: If you need a date movie, THIS IS IT. My girlfriend really wanted to see this and I didn't have great expectations for it, believing it to be a film with a bunch of stupid dumb down puns and gags for the kids. Man, was I wrong. Dead wrong. This was a very touching movie that really made me care about the plot and its outcomes. It had subtle jokes for the adults and jokes for the kids. We really enjoyed sitting through this and I love reccommending it to people that come in.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: ಠ_ಠ is all I can say

Sherlock Holmes: A great movie, in general. The acting from Robert Downey, Jr. and Jude Law is impeccable, the action was intense, and the plot as a whole was just confusing enough to be interesting yet understandable. The casting director couldn't have picked better for the role of Moriarty. As far as things I didn't really care for go, this Holmes seemed to focus a bit more on the action than the actual deductions. I mean, you can't go too terribly wrong with fighting and stuff, and the mystery was still there, it just wasn't as present as I thought it would be. Still, I would definitely see it again before it leaves theaters. 9/10

Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil: Hilarious, gory movie about college kids mistaking harmless hillbillies for psycho killers. I went into it expecting it to be terrible, but I was pleasantly surprised. It was campy as hell, not to mention the deaths were a bit cliche, but that kind of made all of it even funnier. Good amount of violence, lots of laughs, and believe it or not, one or two tender moments. All of that combined is a winner in my book. 8/10

I went to see Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows and really enjoyed it!

The acting was perfect, the story line great and I just thought it was very interesting

I also watched the remake of I Spit on your Grave - it was alright.

I hear that the original is or was banned? Which makes me really just wanna watch the original now!

Anyone see "The Devil Inside" yet?

Trailer looks kinda cool...we may go see it tomorrow.

Edit: Devil Inside is one of the most disturbing movies I have ever seen. Disturbing in that we wasted $6 and 83 minutes of our lives watching it! 3/10 and that was only rated that high for the cool effects...which you can see them all just by watching the trailer.

Seriously, I would advise anyone that is thinking of going to see this, stay home and rent Blair Witch Project and The Exorcist instead. Those two movies are everything that this one only hoped it could be.

Saw Beauty and the Beast 3d. It was just as good as the first time I saw it and the 3d was quite cool if not just because it added depth to everything going on. I am not giving a review per se because I believe that a vast majority of the site has seen it, but it is still great!

• 2 weeks later...

We just saw the trailer for the new

Sacha Baron Cohen movie...

Then...

We might actually go see this one in the theatre, LOL!

Sorry, I forget it's name. Opens in June. I think.

Something to do about a Dictator.....

(We were there to see Sherlock Holmes II - pretty good.)

Underworld Awakening, I saw this for the express purpose of lusting after Kate Beckinsdale in 3D. Unfortunately, this seems to be a 2D movie pimped up to 3D so there's not a lot of value in it being in 3D, except for the people pocketing the box office money.

I'm not sure what the movie was about, I was too busy watching Kate Beckinsdale. There was some scary hybrid vampire girl, who when seriously pissed, would have had the girl from the Exorcist and The Ring running for their lives.

In all seriousness, solid addition to the franchise. I give Kate Beckinsdale 12/10 and the film 7/10.

^ My BF went and saw that last week when I was out of town on business. He saw it listed in the Buffalo News and thought it was a "living seas" type documentary shown in Imax 3D!

Needless to say, he was horrified at what he saw and walked out after about 20 minutes.

You know, I don't go out to the movies as often as I used to, but even I'm sick of the trailer for the re-release of Titanic in 3D. This should be their tagline: "Watch them all die again--this time, in your lap!"

I mean no offense to anyone here, but I think Cameron's Titanic is the most overrated movie of all time.

^ I agree that it it had promise till the end and then it was just...over. I think they were trying to hard to pull off another Blair Witch ending and it completely flopped.

One of the dumbest endings to a movie I have ever seen!

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

It was VERY slow, very meticulous. But it was also very well acted.

I do think the movie "tried" to trick you, but I had it figured out pretty early unfortunately.

I know Gary Oldman is nominated for an Oscar for this, let's face it, he should be nominated pretty much yearly and should have a LOT of wins so far (instead of none), but I'm just not seeing it for this one.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011 Remake)

I absolutely love the original version, and wasn't quite sure this was needing a remake, and so soon.

I was wrong. I absolutely LOVED this. It's a totally different interpretation of the Swedish version and there is no reason why both can't be great, because both are.

This was a much more "streamlined" movie than that version, leaving out a lot of detail that wasn't really needed to concentrate on the main aspect of the book (what happened to Harriet Vanger). The performances, especially Rooney Mara, amazing.

Very well done!!!

Just saw Chronicle and The Woman in Black tonight, and I was not impressed with either film. I found Chronicle to be dull and the special effects to be lackluster. Also, the main character is astonishingly annoying to watch. I was glad when it was over.

Woman in Black was my favorite of the two films. This film was very atmospheric and instilled a sense of dread in me throughout the movie. The jump scares were fairly average, and Harry Potter was not the best choice to cast as the protagonist mainly because he does not look like a father. He looks to be in his mid-twenties. The woman herself looked very animated, and was not scary compared to women antagonists in movies like Insidious and Dead Silence.

SPOILER ALERT!

When the woman rushes at the protagonist, it looks extremely fake IMO