TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

I watched TRON Legacy for the first time the other night. It was the first Bluray movie played on my new PS3 . I'll be honest, with having never seen the original and knowing very little about the world that is TRON, I enjoyed the movie thoroughly. Great graphics, fun action, decent story. Good stuff

Saw Friends with Benefits yesterday.

I was pretty good, I mean I thought there was going to be more "laugh out loud" moments than there were but I mean, any movie that show Mila Kunis pretty much fully naked ranks high with me

A firm 7.5/10

Body Double. Sorry

You're such a kill-joy.

Actually REALLY excited for Drive! It's in the 90s on Rotten Tomatoes, and I come a bit snobbish regarding movies, and I just can't buy into a lot of action movies because of general lack of character development and crappy dialogue... so something like Drive will be VERY refreshing. Also Ryan Gosling may not be considered the typical action hero, he chooses rolls VERY WELL... this seems like a film I'll enjoy!

Actually REALLY excited for Drive! It's in the 90s on Rotten Tomatoes, and I come a bit snobbish regarding movies, and I just can't buy into a lot of action movies because of general lack of character development and crappy dialogue... so something like Drive will be VERY refreshing. Also Ryan Gosling may not be considered the typical action hero, he chooses rolls VERY WELL... this seems like a film I'll enjoy!

Same here! It actually looks quite good, and (for selfish reasons) I'm hoping it'll be a welcomed return to classic car-crime movie form! (Bullet, Vanishing Point, etc...I know that's not exactly what it is in premise, but still, you know what I mean)

I've seen several horror movies that are coming soon that look creepily interesting. This time of year there's always a few because of Halloween. But I'm also wary because there are very few horror movies that I actually think are decent or worth watching, and it's hard to tell which ones are going to be good just from the previews.

Has anyone seen any good ones recently? I usually let the reviews start coming in before I decide to spend my money on them or not.

Drive was GREAT! The acting was very good and I felt like I really got to know all the characters pretty well! The first half is kinda slow, but the second half is AMAZING and VERY VERY bloody, I know this has an R rating for violence, but some of the scenes in this are VERY VERY violent and bloody, as I said above.

10/10 VERY solid film! Also it was funny to hear Albert Brooks cuss because he's the voice of Marlin from Finding Nemo... so it was weird hearing a familiar voice from a family movie drop some f bombs... lol!

• 2 weeks later...

Lately I've been getting back into classic animations when I stumbled upon Martin Rosen's works. His first movie was an adaptation of Richard Adams' Watership Down. It was an incredibly dark and violent movie, but it was extremely good. The plot was biblical, but original; and the lead characters were very well crafted/developed with very talented voice actors to back them up. Though it was pretty morbid at times, it was excellent.

So then I checked out his next movie, another Richard Adams' adaptation called The Plague Dogs. HOLY CRAP!! This is even darker than Watership Down. Everything that was good about his last movie is still there, but this movie is so sad and depressing that it actually hurts to watch. I have never cried while watching a movie, but the ending left me really darn close. I highly recommend both movies, but I also recommend caution if you plan on watching the Plague Dogs because it is really deep. If you own a dog, you might want it on stand-by because I guarantee you will want to give it a hug by the time the movie is over.

And check out the novels too! Watership Down, the book, is much better than the movie!

Saw Friends with Benefits yesterday.

I was pretty good, I mean I thought there was going to be more "laugh out loud" moments than there were but I mean, any movie that show Mila Kunis pretty much fully naked ranks high with me

A firm 7.5/10

Body Double. Sorry

You couldn't just let me have it could you......

LOL I must now find another image to think about daily

Just Saw Killers Elite & Abduction.

Killers Elite: Was a decent flick. Not much of a Clive Owen fan...really went to see it because of Jason Statham & Robert De Niro. Some decent actions scenes but more often than not, your wondering what the hell is going on...some of the scenes didn't seem to follow the plot. Loved majority of the action Scenes so...Overall 8/10

Abduction: Although it was panned by critics..I happened to like the movie..I guess part of the reason is because it was filmed here in my city of Pittsburgh, PA lol. That aside it had some good moments and then other parts of the movie suffers from campy dialogue. I will say i'm glad they let Taylor Lautner utilize his martial arts skill in the flick. Overall, I liked the plot, action sequences, filming location and some of the actors...for that I rate it 9/10

50/50 is definitely my favorite film of the year. Really funny and sad all at once. Blends drama and comedy perfectly while feeling super realistic. Makes all healthy people feel like dicks for ever complaining about anything and it does this without being preachy. Pretty much a perfect film.

September ended up being the best month for movies so far. Drive, Contagion and 50/50 are all amazing films.

I totally agree with you. 50/50 definitely deserves to be nominated for an Oscar. Just sayin'

50/50 is definitely my favorite film of the year. Really funny and sad all at once. Blends drama and comedy perfectly while feeling super realistic. Makes all healthy people feel like dicks for ever complaining about anything and it does this without being preachy. Pretty much a perfect film.

September ended up being the best month for movies so far. Drive, Contagion and 50/50 are all amazing films.

Agree... awesome movie! I can't decide whether I like 50/50 or Drive better though!

Of course, that, the Help, and Cars 2 are guarentees.

I Wish they would nominate comedies but that's... logical.

If Cars 2 is nominated for Best Film I will quit watching the Oscars like the other 90% of the country....

It will be in the vain of "Sorry we Didn't pick you last time Category (Look at Denzel Washington and Martin Scorsese)"

If we got in the "I Don't want this nominated for Oscars, This forum will never end"

What's Your Number.

Funny, but no Scary Movie or House Bunny (Way funnier than Observe and Report)

The trailer is kinda misleading; The Crazy-ness is barely in the film. It ain't no Bad Teacher btw

PS, There is an Anna Faris Nude Scene

Low Matinee is my Rating.

I'll be back to Review Puss in Boots 3D and The Darkest Hour 3D

Paranormal Activity 3 Sounds Dumb. I'll buy the found footage "fact" for the first film, But a 2nd and 3rd film? Over 4 Hours of never before seen "Paranormal" footage that has never been seen before.

• 2 weeks later...

^ I was wondering that as the review I read in the Buffalo News last weekend was not very good and the reviewer pretty much echoed your comments. We watched the John Carpenter version last night and I have to say that it was one of the better horror movies I have ever seen... I loved it! I vaguely remember seeing this as a kid, but didn't remember it being so kick-ass. The special effects seem to be way ahead of their time!

On that note, would it be inappropriate to start a favorite horror movie thread? I know we have this thread and the 'most disturbing movie' threads, but I didn't see a thread for just favorite good old fashioned horror movies. I was too lazy to weed through 60 pages of "horror" and "movie" to see if there had already been a thread made!

I don't like starting pointless threads, but I think it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to just horror movies right around Halloween, whether they are campy, gory, paranormal, monster, satanic, classic, etc...

What do the mods/others think? Seems like we have a lot of horror movie fans in the group?

The Thing (2011) - 4/10

Everything I loved about Carpenter's version was gone here. The paranoia. The cool effects. The wonderfully creepy score. I just found the film completely boring. The only scene that was someone entertaining was the rec room scene, but the rest of the film left me unengaged.

This makes me bummed. I really liked the John Carpener version too!

Maybe it's time Hollywood started coming up with original ideas instead of trying to remake movies that were good to begin with.

Paranormal Activity 2... waste of 2 hours of my life. Only reason I sat through it was because of the woman on my shoulder haha. I mean c'mon.. literally nothing was explained.. they move into the house and some unknown things happen (strings attached to stuff pulls people and objects) and then the movie ends.. Stupid. But I guess if you throw in 5 minutes of some possessed lady and a dog barking it makes it scary I guess.

Silence of the Lambs on the other hand... Fantastic, Hannibal is possibly my new favorite movie character. The acting was fantastic, so many scenes were suspenseful, and it did that insanely rare thing where a horror movie actually felt like an actual movie and not just a scarefest. Definitely recommend this to anybody who hasn't seen it already.

The Lion King 3D - 10/10

Being that this was the first time I saw The Lion King in theaters, everything seemed more epic. This has always been one of my favorite animated movies, and now with 3D adding to the effect, this and Toy Story 3 share my number 1 spot for best animated film.

Hans Zimmers soundtrack will seriously bring tears to your eyes. The ending pride march is easily one of the most spine tingling moments ever that will give you goosebumps. If you didn't go and watch this, in my opinion you missed out.

Hanna - 6/10

Kick Ass meets Indian in Big City. This movie was strange but is worth watching. I did really enjoy the acting even if the story didn't do much for me.

--James