TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

I'm going to beat my record for going to see a single movie many times on the big screen.

It WAS 5 times for HPATDHP1 (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1) but i'm determined to beat it for Part 2 coming out on Friday

I know this is extremely sad, but I DON'T CARE

I'm going to beat my record for going to see a single movie many times on the big screen.

It WAS 5 times for HPATDHP1 (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1) but i'm determined to beat it for Part 2 coming out on Friday

GO FOR IT!! Bet people that you'll do it. At least then you can either make the money back for it... or give it to charity!!

I can't wait for the midnight showing of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2. From everything I've heard so far, this is sounding like it will most likely be the best one. I'm going to watch Deathly Hallows: Part 1 on Thursday afternoon before I get in line since both were adapted from the same book and go together (plus I've rewatched the other six movies over the past two months). As for seeing it multiple times in theaters, I saw Part 1 twice, and I'll probably see Part 2 twice as well (or possibly three times). I personally don't get the appeal of seeing a movie more than two or three times in theaters, and would rather save money and watch it successive times on DVD.

In other news, I saw Transformers: Dark of the Moon over the weekend. I feel that it is underrated, and is the best of the three Transformers films. However, it isn't some groundbreaking movie, and still has a relatively weak storyline. It did correct many of the faults present in Revenge of the Fallen, but unless you're a fan of Transformers or are looking for a CGI character & explosion fest, it might not be your thing. My least favorite movie of summer 2011 so far (out of this, Thor, X-Men, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Super 8), but still a decent flick.

Saw Horrible Bosses yesterday. It was funny, but I had to hide my laughter at most of the jokes because I was sitting right next to my dad. Which made a lot of the scenes kind of uncomfortable so I didn't enjoy it as much as a I could have.

Saw Harry Potter at Midnight. LOVED it.

It had all of the moments that NEEDED to be there in order to give the film a proper conclusion. Were there tidbits that I WANTED to see, of course there were. You are never going to have a proper adaptation of a book to a movie, period.

This was quite simply the best ending for a movie franchise ever (sorry Lord of the Rings).

I was worried about the 2 hour 5 minute run time, thinking it wasn't long enough. It was.

I was worried that it would just be 2 hours of action, action, action (like Return of the King). It wasn't. It had the proper blend of action, emotion and depth.

I was worried that certain characters (don't want to spoil) wouldn't get the proper ending to their storylines. They all did.

There were a couple of nit-picky things I could jump on, but overall I'm quite happy with how things ended.

^It took me two tries to get there, but I definitely agree.

I saw a midnight screening and left a bit disappointed, because I found myself constantly comparing it to the book and even anticipating what was about to happen because of the book ("oh man, xxx is about to yyy...wait, what? No, that's not how it happened..."). I saw it again tonight (IMAX 3D is alright) and enjoyed it much more. I wasn't worried about what *didn't* happen this time, so I could enjoy what they *did* make happen. And that made a huge difference. There were a couple spots I could've used a bit more coverage or attention, but all in all the entire cast finished wonderfully. Especially Alan Rickman, who gave me chills both nights. Goodness, he is phenomenal.

Fantastic close to the series. I was a bit worried, but I'm more than pleased.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 was really, really good. I was at a midnight screening (yes, I know this post is a bit delayed). Everything in the movie was really well done. However, it was also very different from the book. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but given how close all but two of the other films have been, I thought it would be a little closer. Either way, probably the best movie of the series or maybe second (after PoA, but I need to see DH2 to decide) and my favorite movie of this year so far. Looking at what is to come, it doesn't look too likely that anything will beat it.

^It took me two tries to get there, but I definitely agree.

I saw a midnight screening and left a bit disappointed, because I found myself constantly comparing it to the book and even anticipating what was about to happen because of the book ("oh man, xxx is about to yyy...wait, what? No, that's not how it happened..."). I saw it again tonight (IMAX 3D is alright) and enjoyed it much more. I wasn't worried about what *didn't* happen this time, so I could enjoy what they *did* make happen. And that made a huge difference. There were a couple spots I could've used a bit more coverage or attention, but all in all the entire cast finished wonderfully. Especially Alan Rickman, who gave me chills both nights. Goodness, he is phenomenal.

Fantastic close to the series. I was a bit worried, but I'm more than pleased.

I saw it twice, and I had pretty much the same reaction as you did, first time I left a little disappointed, the second time I went I just watched it to watch it, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

*A FEW SPOILERS FROM THE BOOK*

I really wish they'd have done a few things differently, such as the beginning in Bill and Fluer's cottage, and the transition into Gringott's felt to rushed for me, I also wanted to see more on the Carrows twins, and the scene where Harry uses the Crucio spell on the brother in the Ravenclaw tower, I do like how they adapted Luna Lovegood to stand up to Harry though and gave her character some love. I'd also have loved to seen a little more in depth of (I can't remember which one I think it's George's) death, not just hey I'm going to walk into the Great Hall and see him lying there dead. I'd love to have seen in Snape's memory Lily and Petunia growing up and showing them split, instead of making Petunia seem cold hearted all her life, it was more "I'm losing a sister." I also wanted to see the Sectumsempra curse on (again can't remember which twin) which was aimed for the wand hand of a death eater and missed. Lastly, I'd loved for the end death to still take place in The Great Hall and have the conversation about remorse with Tom Riddle and Harry Potter, and I'd love to have seen it concluded with Harry fixing his old broken wand with the Elder Wand, instead of just snapping the Elder Wand and throwing it off the bridge.

*END SPOILER*

Then again that's just me, I think they could have added fifteen more minutes of movie and I'd have been completely content with it.

If I want to see those scenes that I feel were omitted I can always just go reread the Deathly Hallows book, it is very descriptive and I can probably imagine it just as well as it'd come up in the movie, so no complaints from me.

All in all, I think it was the best movie out of the entire series, just for the fact that you finally get to see all this magic you've always wanted to see. I wonder if in thirty years from now the movies/books will be considered classics, and what people will think of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in IoA.

Captain America: A-

Along with the Iron Man movies, I think this is the best Marvel superhero movie to date. I'll take it one step further and say it's in the top 5 of ALL superhero movies. ...Right there with Iron Man 1 & 2, Superman 2, and Dark Knight.

Overall, it's been a great year for Marvel with both Thor and Captain America going above and beyond all expectations. ...In movie quality not necessarily box office numbers.

Next year's Avengers movie can't get here soon enough!!!!

Captain America: The First Avenger gets a solid B from me. It was a fun way to spend a lazy summer afternoon, but to me the action scenes felt a little uninspired. Didn't blow me away, but didn't completely disappoint either. Now bring on The Avengers!

GO FOR IT!! Bet people that you'll do it. At least then you can either make the money back for it... or give it to charity!!

I have an Unlimited Card for the cinema so I pay a fixed price of £15 each month I'm saving money really

Just saw "The Fighter" finally. I knew nothing of the actual true story and was actually hoping that he was going to lose the fight at the end. Don't know why but I was just hoping this wouldn't end up being one of those "underdog wins against all odds" type of stories. I still liked it a lot and after seeing the actual Dickie Ward at the end of the movie, Christian Bale nailed that role!!

Edited by ernierocker

Saw Harry Potter tonight. I hadn't seen part I and was skeptical about going, but they did an excellent job tying both parts together. There wasn't a ton from part I that dragged over to confuse you, and if there was, it was explained in a manner that wasn't too direct, but you still could understand it. The sound I was impressed with, and the effects consistently have gotten better throughout the series, this is no exception. I wasn't a huge fan of the ending even in the books, but I'm glad they changed parts of it up so it didn't seem to drag on forever, and there was still an aspect of unexpectedness, despite knowing what happens. The acting was very good, especially knowing the younger childish versions of the characters and how they matured. I wish they snuck in more humor to what was such a dark movie though. There was a lack of comic relief except in some exclusive parts. I do recommend it if you haven't seen it already.

Watched Blue Valentine last night. It was really good. Nothing exciting, and kind of slow-paced, but you really get sucked into this couple's relationship. And that's all it's about is their relationship. I even found myself teary-eyed at times. Definitely a chick flick, but not a sappy romantic comedy by any means.

I watched Jacka$$ Number Two last night on TV, after having never seen more than a couple episodes of the show.

I really don't know what to say, outside of the fact that the movie was insanely entertaining. It's basically a two-hour episode of the show: No overarching story whatsoever, no characters besides the ones from the show, and just stunt after stunt after stunt. Some were really difficult to watch, and I had to change the channel a couple of times (Fish Hook, the one with the mouse coming out of the wall with the snake), but the majority of them were so stupid that they were hilarious.

I'm kinda glad it was censored a bit for TV. No language was cut, but nudity and stuff like that was blurred out, and I'm glad, since there was an uncomfortable level of it at times. Still, hugely enjoyable, if you're a fan of the show and stupidity in general.

Just saw Captain America- The First Avenger

Good movie! A few issues with it...

1.The Historical inaccuracies of the integration of the troops.

2.Captain America wasn't fighting in WW2, he was fighting his own little battle that had nothing to do with the Nazi's....I really didn't get that part. The Nazi party was pretty much eliminated as the "enemy" very early and the new Villain became Hydra wich the film the shifted focus too.

3.The ending was preparing you for the sequel, if felt a tad bit incomplete. The Villain didn't really die (and wasn't very strong as a character in my opinion).

4.1941 World's Fair Scene: COMPLETELY WRONG! The whole scene is based on the 1964 World's Fair! The Unisphere is shown, that was the centerpiece of the 1964 Worlds Fair and wasn't built at that time, the monorail running around the scene is also from the 1964 worlds fair! (In fact there wasn't even a Monorail at the 1941 Fair).

- NOW as for why this was done, my theory- Disney was involved with this film, Stark Expo is clearly based on Progressland (one of Pavilions Disney' created for the 1964 World's Fair) (There even is a little theme song that is clearly based on those pavilions, that they sing for Captain America later in the movie) Anyway, Progresslands main ride Carousel of Progress ended up at Disneyland. Eventually it was moved to Florida! (and its my favorite ride of all time) The building at Disneyland is still there and was home to "America Sings" (Go ask your parents or a fellow Disney geek about that one ) The building is now home to Innovations, Disney "Leaked" concepts for a Stark Expo ride/exhibit a while back. Walt Disney Imagineering confirmed this was a test. I think this part of the film is Disney really exploring this concept of re-doing Innovations at Disneyland with Stark Expo. Disney's D23 Expo is coming up in the next few weeks.I think it would be no stretch to see a Stark Expo at Disneyland to promote the new avengers film. (I'm hoping if it is built....it will reflect on the 1964...er 1941 Stark Expo that was portrayed! It'd be fun to see Disney go back to those roots!)

Disney/Marvel and Paramount did a great job. If this is any indication of how Disney is going to use Marvel we are in for some good content. Personally I'm not very interested in seeing the next Disney/Marvel film THE AVENGERS....but we'll see!

Edited by The SETGO Guys

Glad to see others thinking that the Red Skull wasn't too great of a villain. He seemed very 1 dimensional to me.

Other recent movies include Rise of the Planet of the Apes, which was very, very good. I'm not as ecstatic as others seem to be about it, but I constantly am thinking of various elements of the movie, so another viewing may be in the near future.