TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

Watched How Do You Know last weekend. Danny actually stayed awake for a whole chick flick, and even laughed at several parts. I love Paul Rudd.

Weekend before last we rented Winter's Bone, and After.Life (yes, there's supposed to be a period between the words, I don't know why). Danny was exhausted and didn't make it through either movie, so I ended up watching both by myself. Winter's Bone was good, but very slow. After.Life was better, with a slightly disturbing ending. Liam Neeson was awesome, as usual. And you see A LOT of Christina Ricci's boobs, though it's not in a provocative way, but more of a corpsey way.

• 3 weeks later...
Just saw Insidious, and I will say that I am thoroughly scared and impressed at the same time!!!

I generally agree with this review. It wasn't over the top terror, at least to me, but it had some fun jumps and jolts, but I do applaud it being as good as it was for a pg13 horror movie, which often suck. I'd recommend this if you looking for something fun to get your heart pounding a bit, its a pretty entertaining film above all.

Is anyone looking forward to "Transformers: Dark Of the Moon"? I liked the first movie and was disappointed with the second. Although, my disappointment with it was probably not in line with the general audience. My main problem was that the Decepticons were tough and bad ass in the first one and hard to take down. The second they seemed to be a little wimpy and went down to quickly... Plus no major Autobots were killed, I love in the first how Megatron easily ripped Jazz in half. Hell, Starscream was actually pretty tough in the first and a coward in the second. I though the first film changed the continuity of series in a good direction. They seem to have changed that in the second.

Here is the new trailer that was released today.

EDIT: How do you directly embed the video in post? Link to video for now = http://youtu.be/YxVt75aGko8?hd=1

^That disappointment is held by myself as well. I liked the first one a lot but have yet to actually get through the second one. Every time I try I get so bored with it about halfway through that I just shut it off. I'm feeling like the third will be a lot better than the second one based on what I've seen, but I am certainly not spending money to see it in theaters unless it gets amazing reviews.

I just watched 2001: A Space Odyssey for the first time ever after years of meaning to. The visuals were amazing. The special effects were still impressive in this day and age. The story was interesting and made sense up until the last act. I got (if that's actually even possibly with this film) what the purpose of the monoliths was but was slightly confused by the quick progression of age in the last scene ending with the (quite creepy) fetus looking down at earth from space. I'm guessing that it was to remove Bowman's understanding of life and challenge his understanding of everything, but with a film like this I don't feel like there really is any correct interpretation. But that seems to follow what happened in the other acts whenever there was contact made with the monoliths. I'd be curious to hear others' interpretations of the film, specifically the ending.

I didn't like Fast Five at all. As a standalone movie without the F&F name it might have been okay, but how do you not have a single race in a Fast and Furious movie?! (the BS 1 minute police car race doesn't count) You could hear the entire theater grumble in disgust when it just cut away all of a sudden after the "we need a faster car" scene, and they magically had the Porsche.

I was hoping to see a Fast and the Furious movie, not some special ops, cops, random South American drug lord shoot 'em up bullshit.

^That disappointment is held by myself as well. I liked the first one a lot but have yet to actually get through the second one. Every time I try I get so bored with it about halfway through that I just shut it off. I'm feeling like the third will be a lot better than the second one based on what I've seen, but I am certainly not spending money to see it in theaters unless it gets amazing reviews.

I just watched 2001: A Space Odyssey for the first time ever after years of meaning to. The visuals were amazing. The special effects were still impressive in this day and age. The story was interesting and made sense up until the last act. I got (if that's actually even possibly with this film) what the purpose of the monoliths was but was slightly confused by the quick progression of age in the last scene ending with the (quite creepy) fetus looking down at earth from space. I'm guessing that it was to remove Bowman's understanding of life and challenge his understanding of everything, but with a film like this I don't feel like there really is any correct interpretation. But that seems to follow what happened in the other acts whenever there was contact made with the monoliths. I'd be curious to hear others' interpretations of the film, specifically the ending.

That answer sounds as good as any other . The crazy, "meaningful," ending is part of what keeps people seeing it after all these years. That and the beauty and creepiness of the whole thing.

Great flick.

I'm really debating weather or not i'm gonna click play on the trailer for Don't Be Afraid of the Dark remake for 2011. I hear the trailer is really really scary, and that yes, you SHOULD be afraid of the dark.

^I just watched it to see what all the fuss is about...it really isn't scary. Unless you consider a failed attempt at a jumpy end to the trailer scary...

Just man up and watch it

It scared the hell outta me, lol. I sm probably the only jumpy horror fanatic out there, but despite seeing TONS of Horror Movies I am still a very easy scare.

^ Thor was good. Check the happiness pie thread... the best thing ever happened and I think you'll like it.

• 2 weeks later...

In the middle of watching Enter the Void, a French film by Gaspar Noé. It's a pretty slow-moving film, but the cinematography, the special effects, and the intensity all make the slowness perfectly reasonable. If you enjoy trippy stuff and dramatic thriller movies, Enter the Void is especially for you! (It does have a good amount of content that is, for lack of a better word, mature. Fair warning.)

Hangover 2

If you didn't like the first one, don't bother with this one. If you liked the first one, you will like this one. If you LOVED the first one (as I did), you will probably just "like" this one.

You pretty much know what you are going to get. It's really a re-hash of the first one, in a different location and they amp it up to a WHOLE other level. So if you had 16-18 year old kids that liked the first one, I would say that this one is NOT for them. It takes it to an ENTIRELY different level.

Overall though, I'd say it was funny, had some laughs, but by the end, I was ready for it to be over if I'm being honest. It just felt like I had been there, done that before.

There were some surprises (that I won't ruin) but it's certainly worth seeing with a full theater because it IS funny.

I'd give it 3 1/2 out of 5.

In the middle of watching Enter the Void, a French film by Gaspar Noé. It's a pretty slow-moving film, but the cinematography, the special effects, and the intensity all make the slowness perfectly reasonable. If you enjoy trippy stuff and dramatic thriller movies, Enter the Void is especially for you! (It does have a good amount of content that is, for lack of a better word, mature. Fair warning.)

I really enjoyed Enter the Void. It was pretty slow moving, but it was good. I haven't found anybody else who has seen it though.

THOR was THORrible! THORought the film, I was THORoughly bored. The graphics and CGI were THORture on my eyes. What a lousy way to spend a THORsday night.

2/10

Glad I wasn't the only one that thought it was mediocre.

I also was disappointed with the new pirates movie. while I loved the opening sequence, the rest just didn't satisfy all that much, and the story seemed very flaw, but, if you're a piartes fan, it's still a good watch.

I've seen two movies in theaters over the past few weeks: Thor and Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.

Thor was actually surprisingly good. I wasn't expecting much since I'm not a huge fan of superhero movies, but I really enjoyed it. It had a good story, plenty of action (without going overboard), and interesting characters. I'd say that if you enjoyed Iron Man (not Iron Man 2, but the first one), you'd really like Thor. It is currently my favorite Marvel Superhero movie after the first Iron Man and is on the short list of superhero movies I've actually enjoyed (along with Iron Man (obviously), X2, and the Burton & Nolan Batman films). I'd give Thor a B+.

Pirates of the Caribbean, on the other hand, was disappointing. It wasn't bad, but just wasn't quite as good as I was expecting. The film did have a couple interesting sequences (the London sequence and Mermaid sequence), but most of the remainder was uninteresting. The story was relatively simple, but there were things that weren't adequately explored, convoluting it. Also, Blackbeard was a very disappointing villain. Of the four main characters in the film, he was the least interesting (and once again, Barbossa is the most interesting). Finally, On Stranger Tides is very different from any of the other installments in the series, so that made it a little more interesting. I'd give this film a C+. If you are a fan of POTC, you'll probably like it. I'd rank the movies in that series as (best to worst): Curse of the Black Pearl, Dead Man's Chest, On Stranger Tides, At World's End.

I also finally got around to watching The King's Speech last night. Totally overrated. It isn't really bad, but I didn't think it was nearly as good as everyone says. I'd give this one a B at best. Not the best movie of 2010 (in my opinion, Inception or True Grit deserved that award). This is coming from someone who doesn't generally like Dramas, but does like true story movies.

I know I'm late on this, but I just watched Kick-Ass and oh my god, that movie is the perfect combination of hilarity and pure epic action. It has to be one of my favorite movies, and I can't stop thinking about it. Anyone else seen it recently?