TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Most thrilling drop?

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to say:

1. Ride of Steel at Darine Lake. I have only riden in the front and the air was fairly intense and I was out of my seast on every hill.

2. Ghoster Coaster at Canadas Wonderland in the back seat. First drop and the Double Down.

3. Minebuster at Canadas Wonderland before the retro fitting took place a few years ago...

I am going to Cedar Point so my opinions will most likely change.

For me, definately El Toro in the back row ! Griffon is alot of fun in the front row, especially the first time because your just staring strait down, and maverick, because its 95 degrees, millenium force is ok, and a couple of years ago would have been on this list because when you ride it for the first time I was thinking," ok this is steep, ok now its getting really steep, holy ..... this is getting steep! ect." mind you that was my first roller coaster of that size or bigger.

I guess any drop tower, but I love Giant Drop at Dreamworld. I felt REALLY unsafe and frightened at the top, and it felt like the tower was just going to fall over, and then you just drop. It takes a few moments to realise you have dropped, but then the freefalling feeling kicks in and its great! Also, I know this sounds weird but when I went on Lethal Weapon (SLC), it was my first coaster in years, and I wasn't expecting the drop to feel like that, very forceful.

The most thrilling drop on a steel coaster would have to be Griffon at Busch Gardens Europe. When sitting in the 3rd row and the holding brake releases, you just float out of your seat the whole 205 foot drop!

The most thrilling drop on a wooden coaster is El Toro at Six Flags Great Adventure. If you sit in the last row you seriously get whipped into the drop. This causes an insane amount of ejector airtime the whole way down.

Other notable drops are Storm Runner's, Nitro's, Apollo's Chariot's, and Hydra's. Yes I did say Hydra, but that is the only good part of the ride.

ToT, due to the "cyclic" nature of the drops. Up, down, up, down, my stomach's in my damn throat! To me, for the pure gut-wrenching feeling, drop towers can't be beat.

ETA that if I have to choose a coaster, Goliath's first drop is a tummy-punisher.

Actually from what I have heard from my dad, and older people is the the Parachute Jump at Coney Island was the scariest ride ever. He said it was a real parachute and when the chute hit the top and opened it took about 30 feet to catch the wind and people would pee themselves all the time. Plus the fact that there was very minimal restraints, just a strap across your legs. Although I believe that Pair-O-Chutes at Riverview may hay given the same feeling since it was the only other "real" parachute ride *cough* intamin *cough*

I can't believe no one has mentioned Goliath at SFOG. The first drop in the back row you get ejected and then you float all the way to the bottom. It is absolutely amazing! Every hill is just eject, float, eject, float, especially the last three bunny hills. Thus why it is my favorite coaster to date.

Drops don't do anything for me anymore.

I remember riding my first hyper coaster years back and damn near throwing up. Now I ride any major coaster and get little to no feeling of stomach churn at all. Weird. I guess you kinda just get used to it or something riding thrill rides for so long and so often.

But to stay on topic: I guess I would have to say that the drop on Hercules (R.I.P.), at Dorney Park was the greatest since that is the only ride in my life to literally make me throw up.

^ Coaster drops don't do it for me anymore. They're still fun and all, but it takes something else to get the "concerned" thrill factor going. Certain drop towers do it. And having the floor underneath your bare feet drop out from under you certainly does it (The Bomb Bay).