TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark Announces Fahrenheit!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt the park will be getting a hypercoaster anytime soon. I'm willing to bet that their next coaster purchase will located in the "Sierra Sidewinder Isle". They might grab a flat ride on thier way out, but not much more, so that they can get in the "10 Items or Less" check-out line

Somehow, I managed to turn my own comment into a trip to the grocery store....

^Totally different situations. On Youtube, the most random searches can come up with even more random videos, and the more tags you add, the more likely your video will appear in a search.

As for Nantimi was probably mostly found through coaster websites which have a rather limited audience (i.e. coaster enthusiasts). You could probably narrow it down even more to only people who are interested in Hersheypark's new roller coaster. Not exactly a wide audience.

Youtube, on the other hand, is not restricted to a specific topic or hobby - it actually covers just about anything (on a whimsical search, I found 144 videos for "nose flute") so it attracts a MUCH bigger audience.

Soooo, kind of apples to oranges.

^Totally different situations. On Youtube, the most random searches can come up with even more random videos, and the more tags you add, the more likely your video will appear in a search.

As for Nantimi was probably mostly found through coaster websites which have a rather limited audience (i.e. coaster enthusiasts). You could probably narrow it down even more to only people who are interested in Hersheypark's new roller coaster. Not exactly a wide audience.

Youtube, on the other hand, is not restricted to a specific topic or hobby - it actually covers just about anything (on a whimsical search, I found 144 videos for "nose flute") so it attracts a MUCH bigger audience.

Gotcha. But yeah I made a video making fun of the old navy commercial and the chick who made the song (Ingrid Michaelson) saw it, and now its all over the net. lol. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnsKp7tG_DE

{Business mind activated} While that is very true, I believe the whole thing was still a bust. One big issue I saw was that most people in the already limited market thought it was fake and dropped out of the whole scheme. Personally, I didn't think it a total fake, though I did have my doubts. I found the whole thing more uninteresting than fake. It feels like a whole lot of work for a little payoff. That statement isn't directed to the quality of the ride, which looks fun in my eyes, just the whole announcement feels very anti-climatic. I think that feeling is one of the issues in why the announcement itself is getting a negative reaction. All the buzz created seems to have backfired, leaving people to want more. The marketing message was lost in the muddled clues. People became more interested in Nantimi itself than what Nantimi was supposed to be working on, which was the message that Hershey was trying to convey. That’s the big flaw with viral marketing. As much as I love it as a marketing tool, the message can get lost very easily in the mind of the consumer. People can get so wrapped up in the marketing that the noise blocking the message is the marketing itself. If a viral marketing campaign is done poorly, it can really cause you to shoot yourself in the foot. I am getting the feeling that the “shooting yourself in the foot” scenario is happing here.

Another thing I wonder is, though it is 34,000 page views in the month time frame within a limited audience is impressive, how many of those page views are unique views. If it was 34,000 unique views a in a month of creation, that would be extremely impressive to me and I would consider that a successful wing of a campaign. I also think that statistic would be mentioned in the press release if that was the case. However, if it was just 34,000 views and they were a majority of the same 60 people, then that wouldn't in my eyes be as successful of a seeding for this type of viral marketing. Robb, Elissa or someone else who runs a website if you could correct me if I'm wrong, that'd me much appreciated. Though it did succeed in getting people to talk about Hershey and what was going on, I think it missed the mark for actively promoting an interest in the attraction itself, which I feel was the message they were trying to get across. {Business mind deactivated}

Stuart

But the fact is Hershey has a more family focused atmosphere than most parks.

so because they are "family focused" they won't build a hypercoaster? When did a hydraulic launch to 70+ mph with multiple inversions, ot a vertical drop multilooper become family focused?

I was merely posing the fact that these hypers are a large chunk of money.

Storm Runner and this coaster cost more than SROS at Darien Lake.

The nantimi 11 e-mail was for people 18 and older due to insurance reasons. A parent would have to come along, and the insurance company thinks us 14 year olds are liabilities or something stupid like that.

Erm, what are you talking about? I got that email, as did a friend of mine who is only 16.. Sooo not quite sure what your saying.

Hey, I just a fedex envelope from HERCO!

It says that on opening day a I will be able to retrive 2 tickets to ride the new ride on opening day. I will be able to take a guest, but the guest will not be able to ride, as the ride is only for the Nantimi 11. Which leaves a question. ......who will be the 12th rider on that train???

So does this mean they're planning on having the ride open on "Opening Day" for the park? Or do they mean opening day for the ride, whenever that happens to be?

HPfan3-- I figured you'd be disqualified anyway because you're related to someone who's affiliated with someone who works at the park... or something like that.

It's been 10 years since Dorney built Steel Force. F-heit is HP's 5th new coaster since then, they also put in a dark ride and added a large water attraction and a few flat rides. Does this mean Hershey doesn't want a hyper? Or hasn't wanted one so far? I'd like to think eventually they will add one, but I don't see it happening until the park actually expands either out toward the stadium or into the new land they purchased (across Park Blvd-- not Hersheypark Drive).

To construct one within the park's current footprint would become extremely expensive. They would either have to demolish/remove numerous rides and attractions or spend a lot more cash in design and construction to fit supports and structure between what's already there. That could easily add 5-10 million or more to the price tag. Not to mention it's more likely to disrupt operations sometime during the season. It couldn't be constructed entirely between the Christmas and Springtime events.

Enthusiasts will say they could do it because they did the same with Great Bear. But what else do enthusiasts say? Great Bear is too short and you don't get enough tricks for what they paid for the ride. I'd rather see them build the ride on an open piece of ground and invest the money in a kick-ass layout than having a mediocre ride because too much of the money was spent designing and constructing funky foundations tucked in strange places between other rides. Just my $0.02.

BTW, if you go back to the nantimi website and click on the "submit" button, it takes you to a different page. Near the bottom is a "?" Click on it and it lets you compose an e-mail to comments@nantimi.com Let them know what you thought of the whole marketing campaign.

Yes.. in 1999 dollars.. Storm Runner AND Fahrenheit cost more than S:ROS. Nowadays that 12 million is probably more like $18 million with inflation and rising steel costs.

I guess all I am saying is that financially its plausible. I don't think that even, say, the $20M spent on Goliath at SFOG, a ride which was built much like a Hershey hyper would be, is out of the question for Hershey.

It would definately be nice to have a hyper. Yes, Storm Runner is an intense ride, but it is a UNIQUE ride. Also, alot of parks have their kiddy rides clumped into one area. HP has them strewn about the park near all the bigger rides.

I agree with rgb60, it would be too expensive to do such a hyper in HP. They wont be getting one for years.

Also, I know the height of Goliath at SFOG is 200 ft, but it's drop is only 175. Does that disqualify it as a hyper? Storm Runners first drop is 180 ft, 5 feet more than goliath