TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best rapids ride?

I know I'll sound like a fanboy, but I really like Rip Roarin Rapids at Carowinds.

It has a nice long ride, longer than average rapids rides it seems.

The only problem is Carowinds runs the 6 seat boats and the lines more super slow.

2nd would be Dollywood's.

I loved Dollywood's as well. Carowinds used to have a nice one, but I haven't liked it since they took out the cave at the end. A long time ago that cave used to have a sheet of water that came down right in front of the boat.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so what exactly happens at the end of Bilge Rat Barges? I've heard there's a drop, but then I hear, no not really. What's the real story?

It's shame about Kali River. They could've done more with that.

As for the drop, that seems to be a trend for rapids rides now. Bummer, because drops on other rides make me sick, and the rapids rides were something I could go on. What with the drops, I can't do some of them.

So anybody have any cheese to go with this whine?

I've always thought the one at Carowinds sucked...you didn't even get wet until they extended the waterfall out a few seasons ago. It is very long, I'll give them that though.

I understand it was better back when they had the custom built rafts in the 80s. I also read that there use to be a bunch of fountains and geysers out along course.

Blutos is probably technically the best I have been on, but Thunder River at SFOG will always hold a place in my heart. I love raids rides that either soke you to the bone, or leave you almost completly dry, it adds a bit more excitement to it. Also,the new for this season water jets are quite possibly the most fun non ride aspect of any park ive ever been to. Excpept if you get there when their are too many SFOG enthusiasts there, then it actually gets competitive.

Though nothing real special, I do happen to like Great America's Rip Roaring Rapids as there's these gates and sometimes boats pile up there while people start feeding quarters into the geysers to nail you. Also, there's a pre programmed geyser that's guaranteed to soak you. It happened to our whole boatload and came off with a completely unacceptable level of wetness.

SFMW/DK's rapids are good also as you go through a dark tunnel below the queue and all you hear is the water running. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your wetness level acceptance) the waterfall only hits a third of the boat, or 2 riders. On the other hand, it's hilarious to watch the person's actions as they see it coming and there's no avoiding it.

When i go on rapids rides my intention is to cool off. (Usually) And the rapids rides that've got me the most wet AND have clean water, (Cedar-point's rapids rides has disgusting water btw) are the rapids ride at IOA and the one at HP. The one at ki caught me by surprise with that rapid, as i've never been nailed in the faces by rapids before.

White Water Safari at SFDK is the best of the three rapids rides I have been on. Disaster Canyon at EG got me the wettest but was too short in my opinion. Roaring Rapids at SFMM was a huge letdown for me. Never planning to ride that again any time soon. I know my credits are narrow but they will increase next summer for sure.

My favorite for wetness is at IOA?

However, the best all around theming/wackiness/random wetness goes to Parque Warner Madrid.

River Quest at Phantasialand was unique and fast but the style of boats prevented any level of wetness.

The first raft ride I ever went on at SFGAdv was a lot of fun in it's initial years when it was not unusual for a raft to get stuck under the watefalls. Waterfalls that now have guard rails preventing rafts from getting to close.

Being a huge water ride fan, I ride them all, hands down Bluto's top out at number one.

Here's an onride I found on youtube:

The theme, the pacing and the surprise ending just add up to one hella good ride.

Kali rivere pissed me off, not because of the wetness, I don't mind that, but becasue of the stupid eco-message. My gosh enough already, and the ride was over before it started.

I'm not a fan of getting soaked to the bone. I'm more of a light refreshing splash kinda guy, so I usually avoid rapids rides.

That said, for wetness and atmosphere I have to go with Kali River Rapids at DAK. Even though its short, I liked the mist at the beginning, so thick you can't see anything. The drop is where all the wetness is. The water hits the walls and falls back down into the boat almost drowning you...well not really, but it was rediculous. I think I have taken drier baths!

As for fun/thrill factor, I like Big Foot Rapids at Knotts. Its a smaller river in width, so there seems to be a lot of spinning. I also miss Grand Canyon Rapids at MGM Grand Adventures.

Ok, so what exactly happens at the end of Bilge Rat Barges? I've heard there's a drop, but then I hear, no not really. What's the real story?

Ok... the end is kind of weird. Some people consider it a drop, some don't. Basically you go up like 40 ft. Then you drop and turn at the same time. It is really fun and unexpected. Plus you get like really wet. The drop is only like 15 ft but it is really fun!

~Matthew

• 3 years later...

I love the theming and pace of Gullywasher at SFFT and Blizzard River at SFNE, but as far as wetness goes, and also for closely simulating the feeling of actual white water rafting, my favorite is Thunder River Rapids at Compounce.

My favorite river rapids ride hands down has to be Popeye & Bluto Bilge Rat Barges. The incredible combination of theming and soaking elements makes it the best example of this type of ride in my opinion.

Some of my other favorites are the Kali River Rapids (the drop and theming really make the ride for me), Dr. Geyser's Remarkable Raft Ride, Hershey's now defunct Canyon River Rapids, and Lake Compounce's Thunder River Raft Ride.