TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

My new job!!

thrillrideseeker

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sometimes the price of bread and milk force one to get a better paying job

How are you gonna backhand him with his own question?

But seriously, Thrillride, I know you looked at the responses in this thread earlier and you are probably upset. You're young but you're going to have to learn how to really commit yourself to something if you're going to make it on your own. Otherwise you'll wind up in a dead end job or back home Arkansas (that's where you're from right?) disgraced. Nothing worse than coming home to a bunch of "I told you so". I sure said that to a bunch of people that tried to move away (who I knew didn't have it together) and ended up back home the next year... I used to sing the theme of "Welcome Back Kotter" to make them feel welcome back home.

(EDIT: Also you know that if you wind up back home, all that gay freedom you got while in Florida is going to be snatched away as your folks put you on full lockdown. My old roommate from years ago played around and didn't take care of business and I put him out, sending him back to his ultra-religious family in Washington. He called me two weeks later crying because his family put him on lockdown... and in therapy. Not cute. But that's added incentive to do well on your own because you don't want to go back home!)

If you go back and read my posts towards you, you know I've always tried to help you because I've been there before. I hate to see anyone who want to accomplish something fail; but that decision is ultimately up to you because you are the one that really has to make it happen. You'll have to decide if you want to listen and really help yourself or be one of those people that cry for help but really don't want to be saved.

Hint: The latter doesn't really go anywhere but down.

Terry

Agree with the burning bridges, especially at 2 parks. Disney is not for anyone looking to make money right off the back, and Disney housing is nuts. It takes years of a$$ kissing and luck to get you into those positions when they post plus those contacts.

Well unless either you know someone to get you out of general operations or you want to head into like maintenance where you can probably make the most starting money for the company at the parks level. Either way you still have to know and work the politics game and deal with all the other umm things that you encounter 

The theme park industry is 100% about contacts!. Piss off the wrong people and your next hospitality job will be “Are you checking in with us today”

Ok I’m going to get a possible attacked for this, but!. Busch Gardens ride ops are not the best in the world usually in Tampa. So good luck but if things bothered you at Disney & Universal then I have a funny feeling you’re not going to be to happy in the long run with this park either. Slow paced and interesting personalities with many slow workers “Not all guys and girls so just relax”

You might really be in the wrong career, job path. If working Shrek bothered you so much why didn’t you transfer or work with some contacts at other rides where they might have wanted to switch to something else. When something doesn’t go to plan fix it, don’t run from it.

No offense it sounds more like you got fired then got bored with. No logic behind saying I got bored when your options are all over the table so you just left for another company in the same type of job.

Starliner, hahaha.

I say stop giving him crap. Atleast he's wanting to work for his money, instead of prying of daddy's salary like most teenage girls these days (though you're not really a girl, so that was quite irrelevent)

Thats a bit harsh. I don't know any teenage girls who don't work.

All we are saying is, there was probably no need in him moving from company to company. It doesnt look good on the CV or produce good references.

Wait, didn't you pass up a full ride scholarship to work at Disney?

Yes. But working for Disney sucked so I went to Universal!! But working at Shrek 4-D sucked so I applied for a job at Busch Gardens! I got the job and better yet I get to work at SheiKra!! I am like so excited!!

Does Busch offer tuition assistance?

^ why on earth would anyone do that?!?

Yes Busch offers tuition assistance so I will be going back to college but I can not decide what for yet. I really want to be a CSI, but then again I want to design roller coasters, so I have to make up my mind what I want to do first, and then I will go back to college!!

~Matthew

Wherebout are you living in Central Florida now? Orlando or Tampa. If you are living in Orlando, that's a long drive to work every day.

Honestly, I think you missed a great chance with Disney. Seeing as how you put school on the backburner, Disney would have probably been your best option toward finding a career. Once you are in, you are in and have the possibility of transferring to one of over 30 companies owned by them. Plus just having Disney on the resume looks good. Trust me, my college program with them was the best decision I ever made.

Like others have mentioned, you'll learn. Might not be today or tomorrow, but you'll learn. Its one thing to have seasonal theme park jobs that come and go, or even just have little part time work on the side. BUT to have gotten a regular full-time job and then leave because its boring or you don'd like it, cant be good for your resume.

The life of an industry employee isnt a glamourous one by far. That is something you will find no matter the park. You have focus on gaining seniority and networking and that only comes with time.

I do wish you luck. I know I hate when people tell me I can't do something or that I shouldn't do something, so I wont chastise you for that. But I do urge you some caution. The job market isn't the best these days. Sometimes you gotta take what you can get, especially if you have no college education and limited skills.

All I can just say is, constant "job hopping" within a short amount of months will make future bosses think you're a person that "can't keep a job and not worth the time." I loathed my old job after working there three months, but I didn't quit until about a year after I was hired.

Now I work at another place, and I kinda hate it, but does that make me "quit on the spot?" No. All jobs have crappy shortcomings, get used to it. If you really hate your job, then just quit around after you've worked there about a year or so. Hopping around jobs on a monthly basis isn't good and doing this constantly would come back and haunt you.

Yes Busch offers tuition assistance so I will be going back to college but I can not decide what for yet. I really want to be a CSI, but then again I want to design roller coasters, so I have to make up my mind what I want to do first, and then I will go back to college!!

~Matthew

So you know that being a CSI is nothing like it is on the TV show?

And designing roller coasters a very hard field to get into. Very few jobs available.

And not being able to handle an entry level theme park job for more then a week isn't going to get your foot in the door.

Even so, if you cant get a job designing roller coasters, you would be pretty well qualified as an architect.

^Not really. Architecture and engineering are actually significantly different fields.

Anyway, I'll shut up about the job hopping and focus on what you want to do to give you a little advice. As a few people have mentioned, the roller coaster design industry is a very small, competitive one. Of course, it's possible to get into it, but you have to keep in mind that there are only a few coaster companies in the U.S. and most of them only have a handful of engineers on their design team. Also, as people have mentioned, being a CSI isn't going to be like the TV show. Plus, I'm sure it's not the easiest job to obtain either.

I don't bring these points up to discourage you or to say it's not possible, because obviously it is. My point is, whatever you decide to do, choose the subject that interests you most as a whole. Don't study to be a coaster designer if you don't like most other engineering careers, and don't study to be a CSI if you don't like most other forensic science careers. If you can see yourself working for a car company or a construction firm, then go into engineering. Likewise for forensic science. Shoot for what you want, but understand that the odds are extremely against you so just be prepared to do something else with that major if your dream job doesn't work out.

^ Just to back up what you said about CSI and foresic sciences...

No one really goes to school for CSI. Meaning, that isn't truly a major for most schools. You'll more than likely end up studying a science field for 3 to 5 years. One of my best friends completed her undergrad in Anthropology last year and is currently completing a graduate level CSI certificate program. That doesn't guarantee a thing, but it puts her in a better position for the future. Her plan is to find work at a lab in her area and work up to actually being a CSI, but its going to take some time.

My advice to anyone is to do college as soon as possible after you graduate high school. I know quite a few people get wrapped up in life and never go back, or worse, end up in school for the rest of thier life taking a class here and a class there.

As far as being a CSI, I've got a friend who is working towards it. He majored in MIMG (Microbiology, Immunolgy, Molecular Genitics) at UCLA, which is considered an extremely difficult major... As far as I know I believe it has one of the lowest average GPA's at the university for any major. He has since gone on and is working on grad work (I'm not sure what degree, I think it may just be a masters, but I could be wrong) at another university. Now he enjoys what he does, but I'm sure he'd tell you that he has had some mind numbingly boring classes. Just because his classes are boring though, doesn't mean that he dropped them, to take something exciting. I love history, I got my B.A. in the subject. However I took some classes that were so dull that I'm pretty sure sitting there doing nothing for an hour would have been more exciting.

The point is, there are many things in the world that are boring. Going out to become a CSI, or a rollercoaster designer, or any other job you can think of is going to have aspects that you find boring. It's one of those things that you've just got to deal with. I hope this job works out for you, and even if you spend 7 1/2 hours sitting on a bench looking at your shoelaces, deal with it!

First of all congrats on your new job. Next it is strange that you only had a few hours every week at Disney! I had 40 hours and more every week and the money thing was not bad. Ok, it looks like the IP´s also get more money per hour. In total I always had enough money there at Disney.

Anyway, good luck with the new job.

Hey guys! Thanks for all of the responses, even though some of them may have been harsh. Everything you guys have said has made me think... which is unusual for me, but still. I know I may have messed up with Disney, #ell I should have taken the scholarship but I would still be living at home with my mom, and I could not have handled doing that. Taking the Disney job was just a way to get me away from my mom! But then... the job was not at all what I expected, so I decided to leave. I think I have finally decided what I want to go to college for!! I know CSI is not like what you see on TV and being a roller coaster designer is just something I am to stupid for so instead I think I will go to college and take acting classes Then maybe just maybe... I can become a CSI actor That would be great! But who knows... I might move to California to become an actor and end up working at Six Flags Magic Mountain because I am not good enough to be an actor (Yes, he is! -Tony. ) ....yeah like I was saying... I may just work for Six Flags because I have a feeling it is going to be VERY hard to become an actor, but who knows? I never learn anything until I try it for myself!

~Matthew

I agree with most in this topic. When the going gets a bit tough, you don't just quit to find something else. Stick with it awhile. Believe me, jumping around doing the Job Switch Shuffle will not help you in the years ahead.

Eric "Been in the workforce for 30 years" L.

I agree - but when enough is enough and your own quality of life is on the line, you gotta make moves. I spent 5 years at UPS. I got paid great money. Insane benefits. Part time hours with near full time pay.

But it got to the point where I hated life. No matter what I did, how hard I tried to bring any sort of optimism to the job, management insisted to make the supervisors jobs a living hell. We were forced to break every normal business practice in the book. Then explain to our employees - who arent dumb - why these practices are legit.

I left it all to work twice as many hours, make a little less money but LOVE what I do. At least being in a place where you love to work also opens up more opportunities for advancement because your work will almost always naturally be better when you are much happier.

Had I already been married and possibly had kids I would have stuck it out for the benefits. But since Im single for one more year, I knew I had the chance to rid my life of a thorn that was eating away at me before I was too committed to it.

Life is way too short to spend 8 hours a day, 5 days a week for 40+ years. You will spend the most time in your life at your job. You have to in the very least find something you can tolerate. Right now I work twice as many hours for half the pay but Im excited to get up in the morning and go to work. That alone is worth the money I lost.