TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

My new job!!

thrillrideseeker

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait, didn't you pass up a full ride scholarship to work at Disney?

Yes. But working for Disney sucked so I went to Universal!! But working at Shrek 4-D sucked so I applied for a job at Busch Gardens! I got the job and better yet I get to work at SheiKra!! I am like so excited!!

Does Busch offer tuition assistance?

^ why on earth would anyone do that?!?

Yes Busch offers tuition assistance so I will be going back to college but I can not decide what for yet. I really want to be a CSI, but then again I want to design roller coasters, so I have to make up my mind what I want to do first, and then I will go back to college!!

~Matthew

Ok... my job at Disney did not work out because the pay sucked. I was getting like 19 hours a week and getting paid like $6.25 an hour, plus they took $90 out of every pay check for Disney housing that I was not even living in so I had to quit working there. My pay checks were not even enough to buy food much less pay rent. Then my Universal job did not work out because I was working at Shrek 4-D and it was so boring. I was not happy there. Ok so I was getting more hours (60 hours a week) plus I was getting paid more than I was at Disney, but I HATED the job. I talked to 300 people for 7 minutes then I stopped talking and for 20 minutes and waited for the show to be done then I talked again. I hated not doing anything for 20 minutes at a time. I hated not being busy, but I know I will be happy at SheiKra just because I will be getting paid just as much as I was at Universal and I will be getting as many hours, but I will always be busy... I will not be standing around doing nothing for 20 minutes... so I know I will be happy at SheiKra!! I am so excited!!

~Matthew

Thrillride,

boo boo,

Was disney your first job? I'm guessing it was. But it seems like you've burned down your bridges at two major amusement parks in less than six months. That's not a good thing. From remembering your previous posts over the last few months I'm going to say you are a little spoiled. It's all about earning your wings. You gotta start somewhere in order to move up. Not having something to do for twenty minutes at a time is much better than being bombarded for 6 hours then having 20 minutes of nothing to do. See you may not have like the first position at universal but it's all about moving up in the park... out of high school you have no real skills, so you have to take what they give you, do it the best you can then move into the real positions. You could have been sweeping up trash and removing gum from rails and the ground or frying up the burgers.

We all have to take our lumps. Heck, I've taken quite a few but now I getting offered a new position at another company that is higher than what I interviewed for and I'm going to get at least $15K more a year when we start negotiating today.

Do what you have to in order to get where you want. The sooner you learn that, the better off you will be.

Terry "Soon to be System Analyst" Weaver

I agree with Terrance here... You need to start somewhere. The way you talked sound like, "I quit BGA because operating Shiekra was boring!". "Pushing a button all day isn't what I wanted!", "I don't wanna be walking around yanking on shoulder restraints and checking belts!"...

When I started working on the rides at Knoebels, I started with the kiddie rides. The worst ride to run is the Kiddie Boats. They have those bells on them, and boy do the kids love to ring them. All day long, I had to listen to those bells ringing.. It was annoying, but I did my job. I didn't quit, I kept on. What came of it was that it made me enjoy running the other rides more. I moved on up to the bigger rides the next year, and even had to run the Flyer in the hot weather! Sitting 6 feet from a hot engine is no fun, but I didn't complain. I didn't quit. I simply brought a big jug of ice tea and had it often. Knoebels was smart to rotate the operators between the Flyer and the Paratrooper during the day so I would go from running a ride with a hot engine and then running a ride that acts like a big fan when it's operating.

Frankly, I think you deserve a job position sweeping the midway or a burger flipper instead of a ride operator. That would make you appreciate your job more.

I agree with most in this topic. When the going gets a bit tough, you don't just quit to find something else. Stick with it awhile. Believe me, jumping around doing the Job Switch Shuffle will not help you in the years ahead.

Eric "Been in the workforce for 30 years" L.

Is this thread funny or tragic in retrospect?

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34886

Also:

Well I am going to be a Cast Member starting May 28th! I can so not wait. I am in operations! Which so has to be the best job ever! When is your first day at work? 31 Days!

Acutally I can not wait till I am working till like 2:00am! I do not care if I have to get up again at 4:00am to be there! I know I will enjoy every second of my job!!!

Yes Busch offers tuition assistance so I will be going back to college but I can not decide what for yet. I really want to be a CSI, but then again I want to design roller coasters, so I have to make up my mind what I want to do first, and then I will go back to college!!

~Matthew

So you know that being a CSI is nothing like it is on the TV show?

And designing roller coasters a very hard field to get into. Very few jobs available.

And not being able to handle an entry level theme park job for more then a week isn't going to get your foot in the door.

Wait, didn't you pass up a full ride scholarship to work at Disney?

Yes. But working for Disney sucked so I went to Universal!! But working at Shrek 4-D sucked so I applied for a job at Busch Gardens! I got the job and better yet I get to work at SheiKra!! I am like so excited!!

Does Busch offer tuition assistance?

^ why on earth would anyone do that?!?

~Matthew

It would be interesting to combine the two careers--you could investigate horrible accidents that happen on roller coasters!

CSI: Expoland!

Ok I am going to agree with the masses here....

Someone needs to learn how to be "entry level" working insanely crappy hours, getting even worse pay. My first job at 16 was at the local Burger King..not my idea of a great time..but I learned valuable lessons like how to handle money, customers and stressful situations. What I wouldnt give for days of 20 minutes of nothing.

I agree, Disney isnt the magical place for the workers. I did a short stint there when I was between jobs, and about passed out in from of BTM due them forgetting to give me bottle of water in the middle of August. But I continued on because it was a job, and that is what they were paying me $6 an hour for.

With your work ethic and attitude, you will NEVER make it in the real world work force. The job I am in currently pays me well, but I spend about 5hrs of the 8hr shift doing nothing as there sometimes isnt anything to do. I suck it up and do it. Also jumping from job to job is going to hurt you later. When you have an HR person ask you why you left such and such job what are you gonna tell them...Shrek was boring. That wont fly very well.

I wish you well in your new job, but just keep in mind, you have to suck it up and deal with it. You have burnt 2 major bridges in the Orlando area. Dont expect to continue to get lucky.

Congrats on your new job!!

Although, I really think that you should have just picked up extra hours at Disney. There is always stuff going in food and beverage, its not the most glamorous of jobs but it gets you the money.

I found Disney to be really understanding when I was there, I had a few problems and when I spoke to my managers they always got worked out for me. My friend told them that he was going to quit if he did not get moved from his location as he was so miserable and a few weeks later he was moved and had a blast at his new place.

I hope this one works out for you