TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hercules Question

I am too young to have known Hercules in the early nineties (I am 20 and I enjoyed Hercules in its later years). It is rumored that Herc was 10x better back in 1989 and the early nineties, can anyone vouch for that and has anyone seen or knows of where I can find a POV of Herc from that time period?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rode Hercules the first year it opened and it was an amazing ride at the time. It flew around the course and had lots of airtime. Within 3-4 years the ride was pretty painful and started being altered and many breaks added to it. By the end of its life it crawled around every turn and was really sad to see what happened to this great ride from when it was first open. As for a POV of it back then i cant help you out there.

Hercules was my favorite coaster during it's first couple years. That first drop down the side of a hill was great! Unfortunately it gradually shook itself apart and soon turned into an Extra Strength Tylenol ride. I remember the last couple times I visited Dorney before they removed it, the back seats were roped off...no one could ride there.

Quick addendum: I just watched the POV vid and I gotta say....it was just sad! I wish we had a POV from the early years.

I Do have an old home video POV (not mine)from 1989 but it is on VHS, in a box somewhere.

Maybe if I am bored one day I will try and dig it out and convert it.

I remember watching it and thinking Holy %$%^ The speed it took through the ride and that pop of air into the big turn over the lake looked crazy.

For those that don't know, Hercules used to go ALL the way to the ground on the 1st drop then it had a mini hill going into the big turn. crazy!

JEFF

The Park may of had a lot of complaints from customers about the speed or other things to do with the ride, brakes were added and this kills the fun of any coaster.. If the ride was rough in it's later years, why was the maintenance not kept up so it runs smooth and fast..

It's the parks fault for adding brakes and lack of looking after this coaster, so it gets bad reviews and had to be torn down.

Maybe CP want "Mean Streak" to go the same way, they have started it with brakes on the 1st drop.

There is no excuse for any Theme Park to let their coasters get rough and not service them properly..

^ I call those Summers/Dinn coasters "Bottom Line" coasters. The parks that have them only care about how much money is being spent and made, so when the maintenance surpasses the amount of money or the amount of riders they start to baby their coasters with brakes so they don't have to spend so much on maintenance. The sad truth...

Ahh, yes. I remember riding Hercules in its early years. It screamed through the turn over water, getting my nuts busted on that sudden drop before the station fly-by (the one after the turn after the tunnel under the station).

I came back to Dorney years later, riding it after Cedar Point had their hands on it and thinking, "WTF?". If GCI or Intamin resurrected the layout, it would make the coaster gods pleased...

A POV of Hercules can be found in our members only video section:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22106

--Robb

I saw that, I rode it like that and loved it (Prelift and drop and turn over the lake made it orgasmic)

I Do have an old home video POV (not mine)from 1989 but it is on VHS, in a box somewhere.

Maybe if I am bored one day I will try and dig it out and convert it.

I remember watching it and thinking Holy %$%^ The speed it took through the ride and that pop of air into the big turn over the lake looked crazy.

For those that don't know, Hercules used to go ALL the way to the ground on the 1st drop then it had a mini hill going into the big turn. crazy!

JEFF

Oh my god please post it. lol

I rode it on two occasions. Once in 1990, it was a kick-butt ride. The second was in 2000 during Halloweekends. It was so slow, I thought they were going to make us get out and push the train back to the station. Worst part was I had told my brother about this great coaster, and made him ride with me. He probably thought I was nuts if I called that a great coaster. Well, it was 10 years before.